Sign in to follow this  
wordpressdesigner12

Image from url

hi all,i am trying to speed up my site by using imgbox to host images,i did a little test,i uploaded a 4mb image to imgbox and linked the image url to my website,it worked fine until i did a speed test,my load time increased and it said my image was to big,"server scale image"

is this normal,i taught i wouldnt have this problem once the image was not directly on my wordpress site..

any help would be great.

thanks for reading.{}

Edited by wordpressdesigner12

If the remote image (at Imgbox) is 4mb it will still be 4mb if you display it as an image on your site.

You have a couple of options:

1. Upload a sized/optimised image to Imgbox and use that

2. Run the Imgbox 4mb version through an image processing plugin on your WP site that creates/caches a sized image to use on your site.

And you have to connect to imgbox, wait for a response, get the image and then display it on your site. All of which will slow things down.

Why does the image need to be 4Mb?

THANKS GUYS,the image at 4mb was only a test to check if linking the image from another site would speed things up.

I made a website for a local woman selling jewelry,the images have to be good quality to show off her work so they are quite large,around 400kb or more,

i cant seem to optimize them any more without loosing quality.

The images themselves are rarely the issue. What slows down a wordpress site is cheap shared hosting, poorly designed themes, plugins and general detritus that needs to be loaded before anything works.

Go find a local hosting company and pay a bit more.

Generally, the fewer sites on the server the better the service. But this doesn't change the fact that the site is probably the cause of all the problems.

Can you post the URL so I can do some testing.

You said you need great quality images for the client's site but you can still optimise them without loss in quality. I use JPEGMini or FileOptimizer but you can do it free by running your site through PageSpeed Insights then downloading the 'optimised content'

Yes, this is normal.

Whether your image is uploaded (hosted) on imgbox or uploaded on your own website hosting, when you go to check website speed test it will alert you to optimize your image. 4mb image is really big in size so it's normal if speed test said "server scale image".

Try some image optimizing tools available on web, use GZIP for compression and if you are using WordPress then there are so many plugins which helps you to optimize your website/images.

Cheers,

Jayden

On 14/11/2017 at 6:29 PM, wordpressdesigner12 said:

could you recommend a good hosting company?

A good hosting is 1and1.

38 minutes ago, alfarsl said:

A good hosting is 1and1.

No it's not. No idea how you can to this conclusion, have you seen their reviews?