James Winfield

Is PeoplePerHour (and similar) worth trying?

Hello

I've been out of work a couple of months whilst trying to find my next junior developer role, and money is becoming rather tight.

Whilst I am unemployed, do you think it is worth trying to find work on sites such as PeoplePerHour? The pay rates do seem rather low with a lot of competition from India, etc.

Or would I be better off setting up a freelance website/small agency website and trying to get one or two projects that way to tie me over? Not that I would have a clue how to get any clients!

I'd far rather be working for a company as I feel that I would learn far more that way, and be involved in more interesting projects than I would get freelance...but right now I need some form of income!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

James

Well, you can try to set up an agency but the process of finding clients for it might be a bit complicated. I'm not joking. There are lot of big companies offering software development services and they are veeeery difficult to compete with. Imagine sum of money they invest into advertising, content, design. Will you be able to do the same? It's a big headache I suppose.

Edited by webdesigner93
Link removed

Well, you can try to set up an agency but the process of finding clients for it might be a bit complicated. I'm not joking. There are lot of big companies offering software development services and they are veeeery difficult to compete with. Imagine sum of money they invest into advertising, content, design. Will you be able to do the same? It's a big headache I suppose.

Pretty easy to compete with if you are any good. The vast majority of software churned out by these places is substandard, especially when it comes to be based software. Find clients who value having quality, bug free software.

Edited by webdesigner93
Link removed from previous quoted content