justint

My webdesign site, ok, or dreadful?

Hi all

I'd really appreciate some feedback on my website. It's on Wordpress and I've got to the point where I can't see the wood for the trees.

I just wonder if it is enough (as I have reduced the clutter) or too sparse. I dumped a slideshow on the front page and a bunch of content inside.

Is less more? Or just less?

http://www.greylizardwebdesign.co.uk/

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Justin

ah, ok, as I suspected. thanks

guess I need to find myself a better theme.

Edited by justint

I've decided to dump my existing design and start again, so this thread isn't much use anymore.
:unknw: :unknw: :unknw:

Edited by justint

When looking for a design agency or a web designer, I am always drawn to the websites that are simple or minimalist. Try to reduce the clutter and make it as original as possible.

Hi Justin,

Just a few things that struck me.

• It is minimalist and that's good, but you do need images I think. At least, one of yourself.
  • The header is too deep, running to halfway down my full size monitor.
  • FAQ: pricing is important, you might want to make that a separate menu item, if you don't think it commands an item of its own, you could incorporate it into a "My approach" page type of thing. FAQ itself might be better in the main menu, and portfolio too.
  • When I went to Contact, my eyes weren't drawn towards the form below.

Good luck!

Col

If you offer graphic and web design as a service, you should be able to do them yourself without resorting to using someone else's work.

Every good designer has had to work hard on improving their skills, it's just something you have to push though and keep at.

For sure. I agree. However I really don't know HTML5 and CSS3 and have been giving my customers Wordpress for a long time, which is what they always ask for. My skills in coding have suffered as a result, especially responsive coding from scratch. Now, getting a Wordpress template pretty I can do. However, I decided to dump Wordpress on my own site in order to get my hand in with coding again. This HTML5 template is just a start. Learning to alter it is my new experience. Once I learn how the template is coded I'll try to improve. Right now I am asking for help here as I can "no longer see the wood for the trees" regarding my own website only. I've seen it so much I don't see it properly anymore.

It's definitely a step in the right direction to be coding yourself again. There's always the issue that one of your clients will want something added to the site, if you can't build it for them then things start getting tricky.

For sure. I always find I can build anything required. However I am definitely lacking on the HTML5 CSS3 front as I never needed that for Wordpress. I'm really enjoying having a go at it with my own website.

Yes I like their designs. Tell me about it with the grid. I'm trying to puzzle it to make a portfolio page.

Your site is looking better. What's funny about us Web Designers is that designing other's sites is always easier than doing our own.

Today we can find a lot of themes, and they make our work easier. I used a website builder for my last project. And now I'm building my new website using one of the wordpress ecommerce themes for the first time. Of course, my work hasn't been finished yet, but I can say that I'm happy with my choice as these themes include all necessary plugins and frameworks. Also they are user-friendly to online commerce newcomers (this is a very important feature as I want to start my own shop). So, I hope for a good result of my work. Good luck to everyone!