Ok so I know that this has changed a lot over the years.

But I thought I would just see where it is now (as far as you guys know).

Backlinks and reciporcal linking does still have some value right? Obviously only with related websites though.

And probably best to work them in as articles or something right? Maybe on a blog page?

Any good resources for places to acquire quality links? Obviously no spam ones or anything.

Thanks!

Reciprocal linking can get you into all sorts of problems so is best avoided.

If you want links that add value (SEO or traffic) then you have to earn them or pay for them.

The general rule is: the easier a link is to obtain, the lower the value of that link.

It seems to me that creative thinking is required because different sites and different subjects need different approaches. What I mean is for instance some sites are very niche and there are only one or two specific places where you need to get links in place. Some sites have content of the right nature to justify linking from Wikipedia or you might target .edu or .gov domains. Sometimes it has to be commercial directory type lists or local blogs. Sometimes you can get a link from a newspaper site or the local BBC.

My sites are always local and small concerns and I am often trying to get just a small number of well placed links to give the site an advantage. I imagine trying to work on national or international businesses especially those that are highly competitive in search results is a different thing altogether.

Reciprocal links mean exchanging of links that are not the good practice and not recommended one.

To get the quality link you should build it on the niche and authoritative websites and the more it hard to earn the more it values.

I personally run a link exchange scheme for similar websites to mutually link up, there is always the chance that some people will look at a page of links and click on a link to your website.

The organically grown links are better though, with quality links from websites such as the BBC being better than a link from a small unknown website.

Also, just to add, sitewide links also gets you into trouble with Google.

Hmm. Do they? Not according to google.

1 hour ago, Kate Johnsons said:

You must avoid form link exchanging process because it is violation of Google webmaster guidelines. 

No it's not. Google just says to not exchange links to artificially boost ranking.

There is nothing wrong with mutually beneficial links. For example if you are a dog walker and had your van fitted out by Mr Bloggs then there is nothing wrong with telling each other's readers that this happened.

1 hour ago, fisicx said:

No it's not. Google just says to not exchange links to artificially boost ranking.

There is nothing wrong with mutually beneficial links. For example if you are a dog walker and had your van fitted out by Mr Bloggs then there is nothing wrong with telling each other's readers that this happened.

Bang on mate, so long as there are reasonable grounds there's no problem.

Backlinks are certainly important and they will be important forever I guess. But there was a time when higher quantity of your backlinks would do the trick for you but in recent times it is more about the quality rather than the quantity.

And for link exchange, I would recommend you to always stay away from reciprocal link exchanges especially two way link exchanges. If you really find a good opportunity to get backlink from pretty good high quality website/blog, you can opt to do a three way or four way link exchange.

3 hours ago, rf_harris said:

And for link exchange, I would recommend you to always stay away from reciprocal link exchanges especially two way link exchanges. If you really find a good opportunity to get backlink from pretty good high quality website/blog, you can opt to do a three way or four way link exchange.

Two way links can have tremendous value - if they are right sort of link.

Three or Four way links will get you into trouble. Google has a patent on an algo that detects this sort of thing.

14 hours ago, fisicx said:

I think people are scared of reciprocal as it was hammered by the engines as dubious, high heels exchanging links with bakers and the like, but with a real world example an official ford dealership would be linked and listed on ford.co.uk with a `Visit the Dealer's website` link, and an individual dealer linking to their official brand website would be normal too, nothing untoward is going on and Google knows this. 

Edit: As for where to get links, really depends on the industry, official stockist of X would get links from their suppliers as a distributor, local plumbers in an area linking to electricians and other callout services etc - even Rand at Moz has his own list of recommended professionals ;) 

Edited by BrowserBugs

2 hours ago, jay_rogers said:

Reciprocal links are no more recommended.

Where did you get this gem? Reciprocal linking can be hugely beneficial if done properly.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:21 AM, fisicx said:

Three or Four way links will get you into trouble. Google has a patent on an algo that detects this sort of thing.

It seems you are aware of the fact the google doesn't support these link exchanges but it is much difficult for google crawlers to catch three way or four way link exchanges rather than the two way link exchanges. Two way link exchanges are easier for google crawlers to catch so that's why people should avoid it.

34 minutes ago, rf_harris said:

It seems you are aware of the fact the google doesn't support these link exchanges but it is much difficult for google crawlers to catch three way or four way link exchanges rather than the two way link exchanges. Two way link exchanges are easier for google crawlers to catch so that's why people should avoid it.

Sorry but this is very wrong. Google applied for a patent many years ago specifically to look for link chains.

And two way links should not be avoided if they add value.

On 2/21/2018 at 12:25 AM, fisicx said:

Sorry but this is very wrong. Google applied for a patent many years ago specifically to look for link chains.

And two way links should not be avoided if they add value.

I would still avoid doing a two way link exchange :)

3 hours ago, rf_harris said:

I would still avoid doing a two way link exchange :)

I don't - I've got loads of them and they all benefit my ranking.

On 2/20/2018 at 6:48 PM, rf_harris said:

... but it is much difficult for google crawlers to catch three way or four way link exchanges ...

And voila! True colours are shown, and this is exactly what's wrong, you should never be doing things you can't explain to a search engine if they ever actually asked you, 'catch' implies you're trying to deceive them. Sure three or four way can 'naturally' occur, but no where near as often as a two way. Yell.com links to business, business says 'find us on yell.com' - or Trust Pilot, how many natural two way link exchanges have they got running do you think? 

A link exchange is a confederation of websites that operates similarly to a web ring. Webmasters register their web sites with a central organization, that runs theexchange, and in turn receive from the exchange HTML code which they insert into their web pages.

1 hour ago, sweatslimbelt said:

A link exchange is a confederation of websites that operates similarly to a web ring. Webmasters register their web sites with a central organization, that runs theexchange, and in turn receive from the exchange HTML code which they insert into their web pages.

What is a "webmaster"?

Should exchange links with the same topic to have more quality links. 

Or buying links with quality sites is also very good

Edited by pibebong

5 hours ago, pibebong said:

Should exchange links with the same topic to have more quality links. 

At last, a real SEO expert to tell us how it's done. And who would have thought you can top google just by buying links?

7 hours ago, pibebong said:

Why would you even consider buying links these days?

5 hours ago, GrahamUK33 said:

Why would you even consider buying links these days?

Because some of them bring in a shed load of useful visitors. They might not help your ranking but they can be very lucrative.

Accurately, buying links or buying banners will have a significant amount of customers clicking on them and accessing our web leads to generating benefits.

12 hours ago, pibebong said:

Accurately, buying links or buying banners will have a significant amount of customers clicking on them and accessing our web leads to generating benefits.

Buying "links", er, no. Paying for advertising space even though it's a nofollow link? Yes! Isn't that what Google AdSense etc is all about? The same for reciprocal, imagine all links were nofollow; would a link from that site still be beneficial? Yes! If the target market is right then forget follow, but if the link is for "backscratch" seo then forget it.

Edited by BrowserBugs