Tim Italy

Static to Responsive: The impact on SEO?

We have a well established static site which scores well on many keyword terms. We have learnt a lot from this site and wish to redesign a responsive site with new structure. If we carry the 'old/successful' content through to the new responsive design under the new url structure, do we loose all our SEO legacy? All thoughts, comments and ideas welcome.

Edited by Tim Italy

You will be ok if Google recognises that the new site is similar to the old and you have used 301 redirects to map the old pages to the new.

It does need a bit of care and attention but I've done this on my own sites and for clients and not suffered any loss of ranking.

You will be ok if Google recognises that the new site is similar to the old and you have used 301 redirects to map the old pages to the new.

It does need a bit of care and attention but I've done this on my own sites and for clients and not suffered any loss of ranking.

Interesting. I was simply thinking of removing the 'old' site. I will investigate this further.

You can remove the old site, you just to make sure there are redirects in place to point from the old pages to the new. This is ensure the search engines, inbound links and bookmarked pages end up where they should.

However, after some further thoughts: if the old site is performing well and converts a good number of visitors do you really need to change everything? A few tweaks to the CSS might do the job.

It is a very good question! We sell ski holidays - www.theskisafari.com - and have sold 80% of available places for the coming season, mainly to UK based clients. Strategically, we want to broaden our target markets, specifically to include USA, Canada, Australia etc. and our perception is that we need a responsive site to attract these markets ... maybe!

Life is never simple ...

It's a wordpress site so making it responsive is a doddle. And means all my other comments are irrelevant as you aren't changing anything Google cares about.

A couple of hours work on the CSS and you will be all done.

However, the layout and general site structure could be massively improved so a new theme might be a better way forwards

Just saying you can make a few CSS tweaks is naive if you expect to get strong UX across all devices. HTML also plays a part in layout and structure and that will more than likely require adjustment.

The likelihood of you incurring technical debt is also really great, especially if this means leaving legacy CSS behind. From a coding perspective it's usually a better idea to start again from scratch and make sure you provide adequate 302 responses.

Morning, just to add a few points and pitfalls.

Upgrading to a responsive site will improve mobile conversion, no doubt. But, as @@rbrtsmith points out just css tweaks alone might not be the best course of action. Often pitfalls with redesign can occur through rouge paths that give either a 302 (temporary redirect) or a 200 (ok) when it should be 404 (page not found), make sure you test with a header checker. 301 is vital here as any links to the site will need to pass their weight (around 90%) to the new page.

Secondly you will experience serp fluctuation if changing page names or urls. This is where new page is on the way up the ranks and old page is on the way down. This is natural but often I see clients panic at this point, depending on the site size will depend on the length of time this can take, it's not instant in serps.

Last, make sure the new site has some way of mapping what's going on. I use site maps with webmaster tools to catch rogue pages, soft 404s and missed 301s. Any way you want to monitor is cool, just make sure you do else you'll be blind if something goes wrong.

Edit: Forgot to say make sure the new site is FAST! https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Edited by BrowserBugs

Don't worry if you want to change your static site to responsive. I think there is no any major impact of your site's SEO.

I think you first try to do changes with simple CSS changes of your website and for more easy option you can use redirection.

Hope it may helps you.

You are definitely going to loose. New url structures need to be indexed afresh by search engines. This will take a little bit longer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By pivotalpixel
      Hi There,
      I'm creating relevant blogs relating to my business niece like the one below which as images as well. But for the life of me I can't seem to work out what websites to place them on and to go about this, any advice or help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated?

Please also read the blog and let me know what your personal opinions are, if it is suitable for SEO Backlinking?

10 Benefits of a Website Redesign
      When was the last time you updated your website?
      OMG, has it really been that long? How is it still functioning?

But seriously, what’s been stopping you? Maybe you’re concerned about the cost. Maybe you think your website’s doing just fine, think of your website like a car, it needs maintaining and someday replacing.
      I believe that knowledge is power, so I want to show you a list of the top 10 benefits of a website redesign and what it can do for you?
      More than you think… 
      1. Gain Trust from Search Engines
      A blog that is consistently updated with valuable content will increase
      Within the last few years, Google’s algorithms have been updated to focus more on content: the quality, how often it’s added to your site. A blog helps get potential clients to your website in the first place.
      A blog page is another page that can be indexed by search engines; this means it another chance for your website to be found by people searching the web. If you’re employing the core tactics of good SEO and content marketing in quality blog posts to answer queries, then your pages may be displayed in search results which in-turn brings more traffic to your website.
      2. Customers will Trust You More with an up to date Website
      Think about fashion trends go in and out of style, website design does too. A website re-design will bring you in to the modern era. Your customers will trust you more, and you’ll reap the ROI.
      3.  More Exposure with a Responsive Design

Mobile Internet use is becoming more and more, outweighing Desktop Internet browsing, it’s more important than ever to have a responsive website for your business. Responsive websites allow for your site to be automatically resized fitting screens for Desktops, Tablets and Mobile Phones. This enables easy and convenient to browse your site. Responsive web design is also important from a SEO ranking factor. 
      4.  Improved User Experience
      A Website Redesign will help customs return to the site, an online survey stats if a site is difficult to navigate, as slow loading times, or is too complex to understand it is likely to leave a bad experience for visitors and this will cost you valuable leads, in fact the study shows that 88% of online visitors who have had a negative experience are unlikely to return to a site.
      So a website redesign will remove all the obstacles that might drive a customer to one of your competitors. 
      5.  Increased Social Sharing

Social Sharing gives your customers / visitors an easy way to spread the word about you. Take this situation for example what if someone is reading a blog of yours and they really like it, users tend to want to share amazing /  interesting articles and videos through social media, in turn this will drive more traffic to your website just by having share buttons.
      6. Faster Load Times
      Fast loading times for a website will gain you higher customer satisfaction and better customer experience.
      For example:
      47% of visitors will expect a web page to load in 3 seconds or less
      53% of visitors will leave a web page that takes more than 5 seconds to load
      Can you imagine losing 53% of your traffic before your website page even loads!
      Website Speed times have an indirect effect on your page ranking because, if your website is taking too long to load then the chance visitors will leave your website will increase which will have a negative impact on your bounce rate which obviously as knock-on consequences which is less likely to convert traffic in to customers.
      7. Stronger Security (SSL Certificate)
      An SSL certificate is layer of encryption to protect consumer’s private information / data, using an analogy of you using a security lock on your door. A website with “https” means that the website is encrypted. Google algorithm will give priority to a website that as this certificate installed.
      8. Improved SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
      Search engines and the way people are searching is always evolving, so keeping your website up-to-date will improve your SEO in helping you to rank as high as possible to engage with more consumers online. On average every year you can expect google to make anything up to 600 changes to their Google algorithm processes, while most of these changes are only minor it gives you a an idea why you should keep your website up-to-date.
      9. Redesigned Website Changes with your Business

A reason why you would need a redesign of your website is because if it’s not kept up with the changes in your business, outdated information can irritate and even confuse your customers as it does not help them and bring value to them, so regularly-updated and informative websites will keep your customers coming back!
      10. More Sales
      I truly believe that customized, strategic, targeted website updates have the ability to improve your business ROI and there are case studies to prove it. When you get down to it, a website redesign is all about a) getting in front of the right customers, b) drawing them in, c) getting them to stay, and d) turning them into fans who spread the word about you to make you more known.
      Conclusion
      From all of the above information don’t you think a refreshed website design will improve your business performance? Save

• By BrowserBugs
      Hi Gang,
      After some consideration reading posts on here I figured a good basic list of resources would be good. Not sure if a mod will lock this so it can be updated at a later date, might be nice to stop the "what is this SEO" type posts but any other peeps using with GOOD tools feel free to chip in.
      The Beginners Guide to SEO - Moz
      Read this! And before asking anything, read this! Seriously, read it; covers everything from how search engines work to tracking success. 90% of your questions will be answered before asking anything.
      Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Starter Guide - Google
      PageSpeed Insights - Google
      Yes, site speed is a factor, no quantity of keywords will fix these, this is 'SEO'.
      Microdata - Schema
      Mixed debate, personal favourite of mine, if nothing else have cool breadcrumbs under your listing.
      Structured Data Testing Tool - Google
      See what Google picks up from your structured data and clarify errors.
      HTTP / HTTPS Header Check
      A great way to see if the supposed 301 is real or if you're giving 302s instead.
      Redirect Checker
      Similar but also checks the number of redirects.
      Learn SEO - Moz
      Freaking great set of resources. If you're still stuffing keywords into titles and descriptions then you need to start here!
      Canonical vs NoIndex - Moz
      Yup, another Moz post but before thinking Canonical is a silver bullet read this.
      XML Sitemaps: The Most Misunderstood Tool in the SEO's Toolbox - Michael Cottam, Moz
      Worth a read, especially the consistency section.
      News & Rumours
      Google Algorithm Change History - Moz
      SEMrush Sensor
      Google PageRank & Algorithm Updates - Search Engine Roundtable
      Paid Tools
      SEMrush
      Moz Pro
      Advice
      Link Spam In Forum Comments Work Very Badly (Thanks @Rich C)
    • By DonkeyWorx
      Is using srcset the best way to deliver mobile-specific images or is it better to use plain css to show and hide specific images in a responsive design?
      TIA
      Paul
    • By GrahamUK33
      This is a bit of a strange one, I have recently been using Google Chrome Lighthouse v3 and noticed that under the SEO check it reports that the ‘Page is blocked from indexing’The report also shows that the Blocking Directive Source is /robots.txt
      robots.txt
      User-agent: * Disallow:  Sitemap: http://www.mywebsite.co.uk/sitemap.xml  
      I have removed the following from the webpages, as after a bit of reading I found that these settings are not really needed, unless a webpage is to be not indexed or not followed.
      <meta name="robots" content="index, follow">  
      Looking through Google Search Console, it shows that the webpages are being indexed, and all the pages can be viewed using site:www.mywebsite.co.uk
      What’s going on, any ideas what is causing the Lighthouse report to show the ‘Page is blocked from indexing’.
    • By VWeb
      I subscribe to this guy's email list. According to him, Google will begin using the mobile version of a page for search engine results, even if the search is performed on a desktop.
      https://backlinko.com/mobile-seo-guide
      This could bring a lot of business my way, in terms of making sites mobile friendly. But I'm not a fan of Google dictating to the world how to create their websites. If this is true, then sites that are not mobile-friendly will disappear from search engine results pages.
      I use Bing myself, but obviously most people still use Google.