Sign in to follow this  
AblazeRich

Mentoring website - what platform?

Hi all, got a potential project in the pipeline and could do with your advice. It is for a mentoring website aimed at people who want to learn permaculture reiki and other eco and new age things.

I have no idea of what frameworks would work best; magneto, Wordpress or Drupel or another? Any advice welcome.

Rough plan below:

Mentoring Website for the New Age and Eco Communities

Site Map

· Home

· About

· How it Works

· Profiles of Mentors Teachers

· Short Description, Long Description, Photos, Links, Booking Form with world clock, Costs per hour Courses, Testimonials, Documents, You Tube videos

· Payment system (possibly one that allows a percentage to go to another account besides the main one)

· Mailing List

· Contact

· Links

Client Area - Content Management Systems

Client area with calendar of bookings, costs, profile details

Mentor Area with calendar of bookings, costs, profile details and editing abilities

Web Designer Owner area with more power to adjust other areas of the site including removing profiles

Mail System

· Automated Mail Outs for periods of inactivity

· Allows for promotions

· Email lost passwords etc

YouTube

Interview Mentors for YouTube videos, links to and from the relevant pages on the website

Testimonials from past students and clients

Possibly a free introduction lesson or overview of their field of expertise

Hi...Looks like a School type of a website. Wordpress is ideal .....It is easy and works well.

User registration is built in...You can use Buddy Press to add more profile fields for teachers and students.

You can integrate Booking software for the courses. booking software comes with the payment gateway. Why do u need World Clock?

Testimonials u can use Wordpress Plugins but it is better to use Google reviews

Mail System - use Mail Chimp.

Hi Prateeksha,

Thanks for the reply.

Well the world clock bit was just to indicate that the booking system would need to take into account the different time zones of mentors and students.

Regarding the testimonials, it would be cool to have testimonials for the different mentors on the website.

Can you recommend any wordpress themes etc that would be good starting points? Or libraries where I could browse them?

I've only really used Wordpress for standard 'brochure' type websites, and all the more complex ones have been bespoke and built from scratch, so any pointers welcome here.

Thanks!

8).gif' alt=':seas8:'>

Advanced e-mentoring ventures have a tendency to depend on electronic solutions, especially if kids are included. Online programming permits both mentor and mentees to sign into a protected online environment where they can talk under supervision of arbitrators and organizers. It will be much better to consult with any web designing company before using it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By danieljoseph
      Hi

I would like to know which e-commece platforms are ideal for designers? I have experience in CSS and HTML and would like to add some basic JQuery to the site.

I would like to have as much control as possible over the design of the site. Ideally i would like to make a responsive site using Dreamweaver CS5 and just use the platform for the cart etc.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Your help is really appreciated.
    • By jaythomas
      Hey,

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a good book (or even web TuTs) that can:

1) act as a good refresher for CSS
      2) get me to grips with HTML5 and CSS3

I'm currently reading 'Responsive Web Design with HTML5 & CSS3' by Ben Frain, however it's not exhaustive.

Cheers
      Jay
    • By OlssonFabian
      Hello fellow webdesigners,

I am currently working on a webpage hosted by a platform,
      This platform is very easy to use however it does'nt got very flashy details and so on.
      It's built in a way that allows me to insert html/pictures/links as objects on areas.
      and these elements are then lined in a row after eachother.
      And I want a flashy NAVbar that includes mouseover effects and marked effects acting behind these elements like a copy.
      the only way to achieve the navbar is by creating a new html object controlled by CSS,
      And I've created a very nice Navbar but its pushing the other elements away above itself and I want it to run behind the elements
      that's controlled by the platform. Please see attached file:

( Note I can NOT change/edit the html that controlls the webshop since it's provided by the platform )
      So here's my code as it is currently.

<!DOCTYPE html>
      <html>

<head>
      <meta charset="utf-8">
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css">
      </head>

<body>
      <div class="main-nav-top">
      <a href="#">WEBSHOP</a>
      <span></span>
      <a href="#">VÅRA MC</a>
      <span></span>
      <a href="#">BUTIK</a>
      <span></span>
      <a href="#">OM OSS</a>
      <span></span>
      <a href="#" class="current">INFO</a>
      <span></span>
      <a href="#">VERKSTAD</a>
      <span></span>
      </div>
      </body>

</html>

Controlled by this CSS string:

.main-nav-top { background: black url("main-nav-bg.jpg"); border-bottom: 1px solid #a4a4a4; border-top: 1px solid #a4a4a4; height: 47px; width: 1070px;}.main-nav-top a { color: white; display: block; float: left; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 0.95em; height: 32px; padding: 15px 20px 0; text-decoration: none; text-transform: uppercase;}.main-nav-top a.current { background: url("main-nav-bg-current.jpg");}.main-nav-top a:hover { background: url("main-nav-bg-hover.jpg");}.main-nav-top span { background: url("main-nav-bg-divider.jpg"); display: block; float: left; height: 100%; width: 1px;}PS I'm not to familiar with coding since I normally just create the graphics.I consider the one who solves this as a god, period.

• By somendra
      I wanna make cross platform mobile applications. I am planning to use phoneGap development for this purpose. Is it good or some other better choice available?