Sign in to follow this  
jamiroquai

Can wordpres handle large classified ad website

Hi folks,

can you suggest and show examples if possible?
Can wordpress handle large classified add websites? Im thinking of designing a property search website and have a programmer who can write the back end on wordpress I also have an option for hiring a programmer who can write his own CMS system.

What would be suggestions?

Please help with an advice.

A client of ours at work requested wordpress for their site involving selling and buying houses.

No problems since and was quick to develop.

Sure, I would prefer to use something else but it works. As long as its kept clean and not created from a load of plugins.

Wordpress isn't the right solution for a "large" classifieds site.

I'd suggest you look at a dedicated classifieds platform like https://geodesicsolutions.com/ which is mature and built for purpose, or if you wanted to get your hands dirty then something like http://www.wsnclassifieds.com/ will give you a solid base to start from.

Edited by BlueDreamer

How much traffic are you expecting ? if <1M/month go with Wordpress, if it's way more then a custom solution might be a better solution....or worse, depending on your team of programmers, I mean it, you need a team and a budget of at least $20-$30.000, if you get lower quotes don't go with them because you will loose all your money and get a crappy website that will crash or can't hold more than 100 concurrent visitors.

If you go with a custom solution, wouldn't hurt to ask me for a quote. I represent a well reputed web development agency that had built custom solutions that hold over 5M visitors a month.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By L21
      Hello all,
      I am in need of a functional ecommerce website which has the ability to allow customers to sell their goods to me aswell as allowing them to purchase goods from me like a normal store.
      Shopify would have been an easy low cost route for me if I only needed the standard Store function, however I will now explain what I wish visitors to be able to do.
      Visitor wishes to trade in their item. They will search the sell page to find the product it is they wish to sell (electronics niche). They will see what price I offer for each grade model etc. If they are happy with the offer price, they will click add to cart. They will then checkout filling details in but instead of going to payment, they will enter the information for which they wish to be payed ie bank transfer (and third party payment providers). They will then click submit and a sell order is created just as it would if they were purchasing online.
      I am pretty sure Shopify will not be able to give this feature and it will most likely be custom.
      My store will only be small so Magenta sounds too much for what CMS I need.
      Woocommerce I think will allow this feature however I have no clue about website developement.
      Are there any freelance or even business on here who have the knowhow and are willing to carry out this work for me? Or is it simple enough to do myself?
      Thanks for reading guys+Gals, and I look forward to your replies and help!
      Leon
    • By chrome86
      Hi,
      I'm looking to create a website that can show a preview of a personalised book. On this site a user should be able to enter their name and choose a character with different hair colours, skin colours and then hit 'preview'. This opens up a flipbook with just these variables replaced. Please see a great example here: Click HERE for website with customization page
      I know that templates exist for things like flipbooks (personally i use Wordpress as a novice, so a wordpress plugin would be useful), but how would this customized feature be created? For example, would i use a PDF, convert to a flipbook, and then layer (css?) the name, character on top with HTML5 code? Are there any existing templates that do this already or simpler alternatives?
      Thanks
    • By LWC
      Hi Guys, looking for a bit of advice if possible?
      I am doing a car sales website in WordPress. It will be fairly basic, you'll be able to search for new and used cars based on the users criteria and it returns a list or cars, you click through to see the details page with all the jazzy information. Fairly simple.
      However, it needs to have the following functionality on each detail page... 

"The ability to store finance information so a customer can choose from different options for eg: how many payments up front, how many months term and how many miles a year from drop down boxes and it will pull a payment example from the behind the scenes of the info we have entered."
      Any ideas on the best solution? I am toying with the idea of doing something non wordpress specific but wondered if anyone else has dealt with this kind of thing before in wordpress?
      Thanks for any input in advance, I owe you guys a tea/coffee/beer
    • By Stooly
      Morning all. I was hoping for a bit of help. So I added the following to the Additional CSS field, in my wordpress theme. 

.site-header { position: fixed; top: 0; width: 100%; z-index: 2000; } .container { padding-top: 120px; }  
      And it worked, the header is now finally fixed. But the problem I have now is that even though it's fixed on every page, it overlaps everything at the top of each page. Is there a way for it to not do that, or will I like have to make sure there is enough clear space on each page I add?
    • By NoViceIT
      Hello there, sorry if this posted in the wrong place (did a search and a lot of Magenta enquiries were just put in here).
      I recently started to edit a friend's website using the Magenta Admin Panel. One of the changes he requires is adding colour options for a garment that currently only has sizes. I have figured out how to create a simple product (because I understand I have to create a simple product for every variation - t shirt xxl blue, t shirt xl blue, t shirt l blue, etc) and how to assign attributes to a set that that product uses. I've created one product and then tested this product on the website to see if it shows both the size and colour but it doesn't appear to show the attributes.
      I've watched and read a few dozen articles in the few last days or so and they haven't gotten me any closer to figuring this out. There appears to be many versions of Magenta and the videos and guides show me things that I can't see in the admin panel. Magenta ver. 1.9.2.3
      When I try to add an attribute to an Configurable Product that already exists ('Manage Attribute to ECP' - I presume), this only shows me five options and doesn't show the attribute set I created for colour and size. The five options include both colour and size (and the product in question already has size on the website) as it happens so I've added 'colour' by this method but the only option this then gives me is 'black' which is the default colour on the 'colour' attribute. I believed this was because I'd only created one simple product which I had set as black so created another one with a different colour and that hasn't changed anything. Think this is a moot point as I I've been having trouble linking the simple products I've created to the configurable product as they don't appear in the list at the bottom of 'Associated Products'.. I can't even search for them.
      So in summary, I don't know how to create attributes, attribute sets, simple products, configurable products.. banging my head against a wall..
      What my friend essentially asked me to do is add colour options for various clothes he's selling but the original items didn't have any colours to choose from, just sizes. I did this quickly using 'Custom Options' on the left in the manage product page but this makes the format look different:
      Original format:
      1. Size *
      2. Colour *
      Custom Option format:
      1. Size
      * colour
      Doing it this way makes it far quicker to add colours but makes it look a bit crap.
      The 'proper' way is to create Simple Products and then link them to the Configurable Product but I can't figure out how to link them. Even if I could, I can't figure it to add Size and Colour to the new Simple Products I've made. So I've been going down the rabbit hole creating Attribute Sets and naming them after the product and I'm a bit lost with it all now.
      Hope this makes some sense.
      Thanks