Sign in to follow this  
richardmountain

MacBook Air

Hello all,

Would the standard MacBook air have enough resources for web development or should i look at getting an upgraded one?

Has to be MacBook air as I want to separate my other pc activities from my web dev work.

Don't ask I'm a bit funny like that.

Depends on your RAM.

my work machine had 8GB RAM with SSD disk drive and still experienced some slowness with Photoshop when working with large PSDs. I since upgraded to 16gb RAM and everything's all good. With that in mind I'll be buying a MacBook pro 16gb.

If you're not running PS then you'll be able to get by just fine on the AIr, just Photoshop is sooo resource heavy, I really wish they'd optimise rather than just adding to the bloat with each new release.

the macbook air is just the same as the macbook pro, the only difference is the lack of disk drive in it. 4gb ram is an ok amount of ram and that the minimum it would have, photoshop would run fine on 4gb ram if a little sluggish when rendering things like 3d and doing stuff like using the healing brush tool, although that has improved in the latest CC version.

As for the other adobe products the only one (if you used it) you might have issues with is After Effects (it relies on ram for rendering compositions so can take a long time).

Anything else for development, I cant see there being an issue, I am not aware of any development programs that would have any reason to use excessive amounts of ram, its usually reserved for things like graphics.

the macbook air is just the same as the macbook pro, the only difference is the lack of disk drive in it. 4gb ram is an ok amount of ram and that the minimum it would have, photoshop would run fine on 4gb ram if a little sluggish when rendering things like 3d and doing stuff like using the healing brush tool, although that has improved in the latest CC version.

As for the other adobe products the only one (if you used it) you might have issues with is After Effects (it relies on ram for rendering compositions so can take a long time).

Anything else for development, I cant see there being an issue, I am not aware of any development programs that would have any reason to use excessive amounts of ram, its usually reserved for things like graphics.

How small are your PSD files? the ones I get from our designer would grind to a halt with 4gb of RAM, I wish this wasn't the case because it's a rather large outlay to buy a 16bg MacBook Pro.

A MacBook Pro can be specced with an uprated Graphics Card. This helps take load away from system RAM so well-worth upgrading if you spend a lot of time in programs such as Photoshop / Premiere etc.

If you spend all of your time in Sublime Text then 4Gb RAM is probably enough, but I'd recommend 8Gb to be a bit more future-proof.

Remember that an Air has a slower clock-speed than a Pro so things like regular expression searches and file searches may take longer too.

Personally, if you spend a lot of time on a train I'd recommend an Air, if you spend a lot of time at home I'd recommend a Pro. If you're self-employed there's not *THAT* much difference in price of a top-spec Air and an entry spec Pro anyway once you've considered business discount and tax.

Edited by NOCK

How small are your PSD files? the ones I get from our designer would grind to a halt with 4gb of RAM, I wish this wasn't the case because it's a rather large outlay to buy a 16bg MacBook Pro.

Hehe, I used to get that. One particular designer used to send me massive PSD's to convert. Tunred out they left in gems like the huge original stock images and loads of other temporary layers they just hid, instead of removing.

My psd's are not usually that big, if they are that big your designers might doing something wrong, like using layers to show action effects like hover etc instead of using the layer comps option for example, I work in illustrator mostly, the only time I am in photoshop is when I am editing photos for effect or doing photomanipulation, until recently (when they introduced artboard in photoshop) I found the simplest method was to build websites in illustrator but now I create in illustrator and have them as smart objects in photoshop.. I suppose more recently it could be down to the 32gb in my imac or the 16gb + 1tb ssd in my macbook pro that I dont get issues, I dont remember getting any when I did have 4gb and I think the minimum they recommend for photoshop is 4 gb, aside from 3d and the rendering actions like healing brush I cant think of when it might be necessary to have more than that.

I never purchased a 16gb with ssd macbook pro either, it come ith a normal 500gb hard drive and 4gb ram.. I upgraded it myself, much cheaper to do that but I am unsure about the most recent ones, especially the ones with retinal display as the ram is welded to the motherboard.

I think some of it could be down to what Rallport was talking about, when a project has say 17 templates and every component within each template has it's own layer...

Edited by rbrtsmith

I think some of it could be down to what Rallport was talking about, when a project has say 17 templates and every component within each template has it's own layer...

exactly, get them to check out layer comps in photoshop

some good tips https://creativemarket.com/blog/2015/02/04/the-best-tricks-to-reduce-photoshop-file-size

Thanks for all of your responses,

Well I'm beginning to wish I'd not asked the question, no rather than just deciding between a 4gb MacBook air and an 8gb, I'm now thinking do I want a MacBook Pro.

Oh the choices...

I use an MB Air day in day out. I upped mine to 8gb of RAM to be on the safe side. It's perfect for web development as far as the stuff I do goes...