teodora

Node meeting 1::Node homework

Thanks again to everyone who attended our first node meeting! It was a great fun :)

For those who couldn't make it, here's a summary of what we've been doing.

We have installed a node tutorials https://github.com/workshopper/learnyounode and have gone through most of the exercises.

We established some of us (mainly me! :p) needed time to get their head around the questions. Those who couldn't make it to the meeting, can also have a go.

Hence this thread, we can post our answers here, when we're ready and discuss.

To keep the thread organised, maybe we could post our complete answers when we finish all of them :)

What do you think?

It was great, really enjoyed, thanks guys :)

Posting our answers is probably a good idea. Not sure if it should be when it's all complete or for each one. We could discuss how we approached the challenge and compare the differences in each other's attempts. Of course, the tutorial itself gives you the correct answer once the challenge passes anyway.

Yeah I guess. Perhaps we can use this as a way for us to ask questions or get help on any of the challenges, for those who have completed them can give advice or whatever.

Which question number did you get up to in the end then? I thought you only got to 5 when I read through the convo?

I can't remember whether I completed Q5 or not. I'm on either Q5 or Q6.

Ah, I don't feel so bad then. I eventually got through Q4 but I'm reviewing my javascript now. Maybe we could post if we get stuck? Otherwise if its right we can just go on. I think if we posted the answers too soon I, for one, wouldn't bother to muddle through them all on my own.

Anyone done Q5? Mine is failing the test, but when I test it myself passing a directory and extension it filters out the results by extension just fine. I have a sneaky feeling it's because I'm running windows :/

Edit, figured it out, -- Don't forget to append the '.' to the beginning of the file extension :)

Edited by rbrtsmith

Slow progress here - I solved Q2 (passed), Q3 and Q4 on my own, however Q3 and 4 didn't pass, although imo my solutions return the correct number of lines.

Getting my head around 5 now...

Q5 sort of solved in the sense I am filtering list of files within a specific folder by extension name - however my solution won't pass, because it's not the right solution for the question.

I had the opposite happen with Q3 and Q4. They returned the wrong number of lines but passed. Or maybe I just can't count.

I've just finished them now. I didn't wanna post answers on here (Spoiler!) but I've created a repo on GitHub with my answers

https://github.com/rbrtsmith/learn-you-node-solutions

Would be good to compare with other guys solutions to see how they compare, mine are were often different to the official solutions but still passed the verifications.

Don't forget there are some stand alone JS courses on there too. There's a basic one here (javascripting): http://nodeschool.io/#javascripting and a more advanced one here (functional javascript): http://nodeschool.io/#functionaljavascript

Edited by citypaul

I have just completed upto 10 after lunch ill see how far i can get with the last few

Edited by D4Y0

Hi guys,

Posting my answers on GitHub too. I'm now on Q6.

I will need to go back and refactor Q5 though because it's so different to what they were expecting and I obviously didn't read the Q good enough lol.

Nice one Robert for completing them already! And thanks Paul for the JS Links. Going to have a look at some of those too :)

https://github.com/lyndseybrowning/nodejs-learnyounode-solutions

Edited by Lyndsey
Forgot Link

I've been meaning to get back onto this but kinda joined Code Eval and have been using spare 5 minutes here and there to work through that instead. *slaps self on wrist*. I'll try and get back to it ASAP. Did we say we were meeting every other Thursday or did I imagine that?

I've been meaning to get back onto this but kinda joined Code Eval and have been using spare 5 minutes here and there to work through that instead. *slaps self on wrist*. I'll try and get back to it ASAP. Did we say we were meeting every other Thursday or did I imagine that?

It's hard to stop using CodeEval after you've completed the first few. I found it really addictive at first!

It's hard to stop using CodeEval after you've completed the first few. I found it really addictive at first!

I've never tried it. I guess now isn't the time to start ;)

On Question 6 and published my answers here https://github.com/mantismamita/learnyounode-sols/tree/master I'm not worrying about refactoring for now. Hopefully I'll get through another couple questions before Thursday but I won't have much time.

Edited by mantis