Nillervision

My first computer

If there are any geeks on this forum (Nah, probably not...) this might excite you.

I was recently cleaning up and found this baby in the basement. I got it back in '92 or '93. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the power supply. But it should be fairly easy to build a new one. The specs are top-notch for the time.

Commondore Amiga 1200HD
4 mb ram
120 mb build in hard drive (I wonder what's on it)
Motorola 68EC020 14 MHz CPU
8 bit graphics (256 colours)

post-54241-0-87675100-1425420644_thumb.jpgpost-54241-0-84680500-1425420690_thumb.jpg

Love the yellow coating that time has given it.

Quick ebay search came up on one search for a bid of just over $150. I would sell that for a quick buck (really... what else are you going to do with it). Nice find.

Quick ebay search came up on one search for a bid of just over $150. I would sell that for a quick buck (really... what else are you going to do with it). Nice find.

If I can get it to work I'm not going to sell it. There must be some good games on the drive :)

I found a guide on how to power it with a standard ATX power supply. It didn't look too complicated.

Next thing will be to get an analogue TV/monitor and a compatible mouse. I found the original joystick (probably more useful than a mouse anyway)

Edited by Nillervision

My first computer, actually my second, my first was this at 4 yrs old.

whiz-kid2.jpg

Then the Amiga 500 followed....

I wanted the Video Toaster but didn't have the cash, I begged my mom, never happened :(

Edited by CreativeSheep

My beautiful skidoo!

Wow flashback ... sudden cold sweat of my C64, 'Into the Eagles Nest' we go ;)

Oh boy yes the cold sweats knowing there's a bazooka off screen that you can't see but zaps you every time :)

...and those darned hidden mines

Might find what you need here http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/?currency=GBP&currency=GBP

although I cannot guarantee the legitimacy of the site

Thanks but I found a local store here in CPH. http://www.amigasalg.dk/side.asp?Id=203510

It looks like they have both the mouse and the PSU in stock :)

I once had an Amiga, It had some truely fantastic games: Cannon Fodder is the one that stands out for me, I remember being devastated when I had Jools as a General and he died walking over a hidden mine :(

Edited by rbrtsmith

I used to have the 600. I'd spend hours on Lemmings, Cannon Fodder and SWOS (Sensible World of Soccer), the first real football management sim.

Although, that wasn't my first. This was...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151599088192?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Edited by roothost

My then boyfriend, now husband, used to spend hours playing games on my Dad's Commodore 64. Revenge of the Mutant Camels was a favourite.

We had a Commodore 64 too and loved to play Flimbo's Quest! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0gz4Vi0-oA

After that, it was Disney's Land of Illusion on the Sega Master System (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5II_5OqRo8), amongst many others like Alex the Kid, Columns, Streets of Rage etc :)

Guest 4li4s

I've only just found this gem of a thread! Amiga 1200? How flash can you get? I never had one but I had the Amiga 500 for donkeys years. Before that was a ZX Spectrum :)

Starting to remember old Amiga games; Shadow of the Beast, Megalomania, Chaos Engine, Speedball... those were the days...

Edited by 4li4s

Atari ST for me, hours of fun coding B.A.S.I.C

The ST was a great and very reliable machine. I Used it to do music production with Steinberg Cubase. Not my own machine though. It was in a sound studio I had access to in the late 80s.

I even heard that some top music producers still use it today, claiming that the the Atari STs solid timing has never been matched by any other hardware.

Edited by Nillervision

Really? That's crazy, surely so many years on there's better?

Actually it is still one of the most rock solid devices for drumbeats etc. And tests even prove that it is not just in the minds of nostalgic producers

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/03/10/atari-ste/

EDIT: Note that noone uses the sound chip in the ST for music production. I'm only talking about recording and playing back midi sequences for external hardware modules like synths and drum machines

Edited by Nillervision

Wow flashback ... sudden cold sweat of my C64, 'Into the Eagles Nest' we go ;)Next thing will be to get an analogue TV/monitor and a compatible mouse. I found the original joystick (probably more useful than a mouse anyway)

" Next thing will be to get an analogue TV/monitor and a compatible mouse."

And a cassette player to load your games.

Edited by Jane B

My first computer was an Amstrad CPC 464

I had a ton of game for it, and a ton of memories

- Roland on the Ropes

- WWF

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

- The Simpsons: Bart vs Space Mutants

- Operation Thunderbolt

but to name a few

My favourite ever machine! :yahoo:

I once brought a yellow c64 back to pristine off-whiteness with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs...no harm done. A friend of a friend did it to a Super Nintendo with these http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Household_Cleaning/ASDA_Multi_Surface_Cleaning_Wipes_Lemon_84.html apparently.

There's all sorts of ways you can make your own disks from the internet (if you can get hold of some floppys) or other ways to install games to Workbench. Not strictly speaking legal, and being new to this forum I won't risk saying, but something worth googling ;)

Also this http://hol.abime.net/ is basically the Amiga bible :wub:

Edited by Emanresu

Yeah, no geeks here... :ph34r:

This was mine, although my mom and dad could only afford the console and the cassette (!) drive. It was pretty useless, really.

post-66448-0-87278600-1440747338_thumb.jpg

I remember two things about my next computer: It was a 486, and all of a sudden we had TONS of visitors, because the new games didn't run fast enough on the 386. Like the first on the block to have colour TV! The next thing was needing more memory - 1 MB cost me $150!

First of my own, ZX81 then Spectrum, Atari 800 and Amiga.

Work related in the PC world and not ICL mainframes, one of the first IBM PC - twin floppy drives and 10MB Tallgrass hard drive formatted 5MB CP/M, 5MB DOS.