Nillervision

My first computer

My favourite ever machine! :yahoo:

I once brought a yellow c64 back to pristine off-whiteness with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs...no harm done. A friend of a friend did it to a Super Nintendo with these http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Household_Cleaning/ASDA_Multi_Surface_Cleaning_Wipes_Lemon_84.html apparently.

There's all sorts of ways you can make your own disks from the internet (if you can get hold of some floppys) or other ways to install games to Workbench. Not strictly speaking legal, and being new to this forum I won't risk saying, but something worth googling ;)

Also this http://hol.abime.net/ is basically the Amiga bible :wub:

Edited by Emanresu

Yeah, no geeks here... :ph34r:

This was mine, although my mom and dad could only afford the console and the cassette (!) drive. It was pretty useless, really.

post-66448-0-87278600-1440747338_thumb.jpg

I remember two things about my next computer: It was a 486, and all of a sudden we had TONS of visitors, because the new games didn't run fast enough on the 386. Like the first on the block to have colour TV! The next thing was needing more memory - 1 MB cost me $150!

First of my own, ZX81 then Spectrum, Atari 800 and Amiga.

Work related in the PC world and not ICL mainframes, one of the first IBM PC - twin floppy drives and 10MB Tallgrass hard drive formatted 5MB CP/M, 5MB DOS.

First computer if I didn't mention already; Amiga 500, followed by a 486DX upgraded to a 486DX4 within a year and a half; although I was using a 386 prior to getting my 486 on a daily basis.

I also had an Amiga but my first computer was a Commondore 64. I've still got it in the loft somewhere along with the complete bound set of Input magazines. It kept me quiet for hours. :D

If there are any geeks on this forum (Nah, probably not...) this might excite you.

I was recently cleaning up and found this baby in the basement. I got it back in '92 or '93. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the power supply. But it should be fairly easy to build a new one. The specs are top-notch for the time.

Commondore Amiga 1200HD

4 mb ram

120 mb build in hard drive (I wonder what's on it)

Motorola 68EC020 14 MHz CPU

8 bit graphics (256 colours)

attachicon.gifamiga1.jpgattachicon.gifamiga2.jpg

Love the yellow coating that time has given it.

You can search for the power supply online you will find it quickly :)

Edited by Milosz47

486-SX25 Upgrade a year later 486DX4-100. I owned that computer an extremely long time before buying a new one.

My videos cards today cost more then that computer, scary.

Now my seven year old laptop is almost identical in power to some of the tablet PC sold today, the tech of yesterday is new today.

Edited by CreativeSheep

I had one of these Amstrads, a PCW (Personal Computer Wordprocessor). I was in my 20s and had a joinery business. Mainly it ran a clunky word processor called locoscript, but it could run an address list and do mail merges which was brilliant. Then I discovered an Office suite for it - MiniOffice, so I had a spreadsheet for bookeeping and I used it for calculating cutting lists. Incredible!

amstradpcw.jpg

Like Old Dragon, my first computer was a Commodore C64. I had a word processing program and did all my correspondence on the C64 and an Epson printer, long gone. Also used it for genealogy with a primitive data base program. Even had a cartridge that I could plug in to the C64 and interface it with my Amateur Radio transceiver for receiving and transmitting digital AMTOR signals. Those were the days!!

... Martin VE3OAT

I wonder how you guys managed those days and with 4 mb ram and 120 mb build in hard drive (I wonder what's on it)

i now have 4 gb ram and 500 gb hard disk and i still complain :-)

My favourite ever machine! :yahoo:

I once brought a yellow c64 back to pristine off-whiteness with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs...no harm done. A friend of a friend did it to a Super Nintendo with these http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Household_Cleaning/ASDA_Multi_Surface_Cleaning_Wipes_Lemon_84.html apparently.

There's all sorts of ways you can make your own disks from the internet (if you can get hold of some floppys) or other ways to install games to Workbench. Not strictly speaking legal, and being new to this forum I won't risk saying, but something worth googling ;)

Also this http://hol.abime.net/ is basically the Amiga bible :wub:

I'm definitely trying that with my Super Nintendo stuff! Thanks for posting this :santa_grin:

Quick ebay search came up on one search for a bid of just over $150. I would sell that for a quick buck (really... what else are you going to do with it). Nice find.

I don't remember where my first computer is, but I'm surprised that it can be sold nowadays)))) I thought it is completely unnecessary 8).gif' alt=':seas8:'>

I wonder how you guys managed those days and with 4 mb ram and 120 mb build in hard drive (I wonder what's on it)

i now have 4 gb ram and 500 gb hard disk and i still complain :-)

The ZX81 was 1K and everyone was mad when they bought the 16K RAM pack and found that it turned off the internal 1K.

The first IBM PC I worked with was 16K with 168K 5 1/4 floppy drives yet we still managed to compile a statistical forecasting package in Fortran IV.

My first use of a computer was in 1979 at school, it was the BBC Micro. I remember we used to write small programs using Basic and playing Pac-man using our lunch time.

I have fond memories of my first computer at home in 1984, it was the Commodore Plus/4 that had 64k RAM, I can remember using a cassette to load games and save files. In those days a portable TV was the monitor which would give some eye strain after a number of hours of close use.

Mine was an Amiga 600 which I loved. My first gaming system was a Philips G700 which was in direct competition with the Atari at the time. My first PC was an Opus which I loved to upgrade and introduced me to PC Gaming. There were some great PC games in the 1990's, you used to get the floppy disks or CDs in a massive box. Good days lol.

philipsg7000.gif

amiga600.jpg