Sign in to follow this  
robbydesigns

Windows 8 keeps failing updates and wont install other stuff

My Windows 8 keeps failing to install updates and after a Restart it just reverts back.

It wont install other stuff either - the Skype update button does nothing, I can only click the 'Not now' button.

DropBox wont install either, I download the installer, it unpackages it then the installation screen disappears.

I've checked AVG, it seems okay, I tried to get support from Microsoft but all they have is some crappy thing where can only read other people's questions.

Any help appreciated.

Erase your update history and try again, you may need to restart even if it does not ask you to just to make sure it's clean

http://all4naija.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/how-to-clean-up-windows-updates-history.html?m=1

Personally I would not use avg, I used to use Kaspersky (I'm on a Mac now) a much more robust and far better internet security program

Very rare and only in exceptional circumstances is there ever any need to re install the operating system, that's a poor solution because most the time there is always a better one

Very rare and only in exceptional circumstances is there ever any need to re install the operating system, that's a poor solution because most the time there is always a better one

Agreed, I have recommended it because Robby's had a lot of other troubles with Win8 (as far as I am aware), so my first thoughts were it might need re-installing.

Agreed, I have recommended it because Robby's had a lot of other troubles with Win8 (as far as I am aware), so my first thoughts were it might need re-installing.

Nah, probebly just need a clean up, a little TLC and a few in built repairs like sfc/scannow to fix .dll file corruption and a manual check for illusive rogue files from unknown places, even a chkdsk/r would not go amiss in some cases

Only once have I ever had to reinstall the whole operating system and that turned out to be because the pc was so full of junk it was impossible to do anything, it was a very old computer.

Thanks. I don't fancy reinstalling Windows 8 but I could refresh it if that's going to fix it but I'll try a few other things first, sometimes it's just a cranky update or updates clashing so I'll take a look again after Xmas.

@FuzzyLogic - I do look after it mate, I use Advanced System Care and have a bit of OCD when it comes to my PC so it's always clean of clutter and pretty organised..it's not actually OCD it's my impatience ;)

Thanks, I use IOBIT Advanced System Care, no faults.

I just tried Windows Refresh; it asked for the CD so I put it in and it says it's invalid even though it's MS who sold it to me! I Googled it and someone said to use the 'Settings' to manually enter my product key, I did that and it says it's not valid for my country!! Funny how it didn't seem to have any validation problems when they fkn sold it to me.

Thanks, I use IOBIT Advanced System Care, no faults.

I just tried Windows Refresh; it asked for the CD so I put it in and it says it's invalid even though it's MS who sold it to me! I Googled it and someone said to use the 'Settings' to manually enter my product key, I did that and it says it's not valid for my country!! Funny how it didn't seem to have any validation problems when they fkn sold it to me.

I only suggested tune up utilities because you mentioned advanced systemcare, I used to use both and tune up hit things that IOBIT used to miss and vice versa.

By the way, I hope you did not think I was implying you don't look after your computer before it's just that most people tend to use programs to solve problems sometimes and are not aware of tools like the in built sfc and chkdsk are available as a better choice, when I said to 'clean junk' I meant residual left over information in hidden places like the registry.

I only suggested tune up utilities because you mentioned advanced systemcare, I used to use both and tune up hit things that IOBIT used to miss and vice versa.

By the way, I hope you did not think I was implying you don't look after your computer before it's just that most people tend to use programs to solve problems sometimes and are not aware of tools like the in built sfc and chkdsk are available as a better choice, when I said to 'clean junk' I meant residual left over information in hidden places like the registry.

I know you weren't implying anything mate

SOLVED

I put the Win8 disc into my PC and ran it straight off the disc, bypassing the Win8 'Refresh' option.

It worked but I did lose everything on C://

:)

Are you sure it's lost? Windows tends to create a folder inside 'computer' where the hard drive is listed, usually called windows.old if you open that your files should be safe and sound inside it unless of course you erased the hard drive for a clean install.

Are you sure it's lost? Windows tends to create a folder inside 'computer' where the hard drive is listed, usually called windows.old if you open that your files should be safe and sound inside it unless of course you erased the hard drive for a clean install.

oooh, pmsl I noticed that folder but never looked inside it! Never mind, I've moved everything over from my backup drive now. Got to laugh, I'm such a muppet.

9 hours ago, rosieesme said:

Nice Information...

from 3 years ago  :)