Sign in to follow this  
AblazeRich

Good Responsive Gallery?

HI, I am doing some work for a clients Wordpress site. The main website is responsive, but the gallery isn't. Can anyone recommend any good (and free) responsive wordpress galleries?

Regards

Rich

It makes more sense to me to make the current gallery responsive, rather than finding a specific plugin that might include this already.

If you've already got a gallery up and running, and can provide a link, I'll take a look to see how easy it would be to convert.

Do you have access to the CSS and HTML to edit? Or is it hidden inside the plugin somewhere?

The HTML and CSS used is a massive overkill for a simple boxed grid. I could put something together, but the old markup and styles would need to be removed.

Jack: I believe I can get to it. But isn't there any easier way? A plug in that someone recommends?

Jane: Reg the Easy Fancy Box, it does not appear to be responsive:

"The lightbox does not look good on mobile devices. What can I do about that?

The FancyBox 1.3.4 script that is used in this plugin was not developed with mobile devices in mind. The only way around this issue is currently to disable FancyBox for small screen sizes. You can do this by adding a text widget in your sidebar with the following code snippet."

https://wordpress.org/plugins/easy-fancybox/faq/

It seems you are right. I really thought that it was responsive but I just tried it on one of my sites and it isn't. Bother!

Sorry about that.

I can't find the fancybox script anywhere in the source code. It looks to me like it's just using an old version, fancybox2 is responsive. Regarding the thumbnails, they just need a bit of re-working with CSS to make them fluid width.

I'm not that familiar with Wordpress, however, I'm sure a gallery plugin isn't really needed here, and it might be easier just writing yourself.

You're looking to upload an image, output a smaller image onto a page, style into a grid with CSS, and add fancybox that links to a larger version of the image.

Something like http://simple-fields.com/documentation/field-types/file/ would be something I would use to upload the image, and grab the data I need for my templates. In the documentation it says that it crops automatically to small, medium and large images, and gives you access to the file paths, alt descriptions, width's and height's in your templates. Perfect!

You can then use those file paths to add into an image tag, and just style with CSS.

Fancybox is just an additional script you will need to add, but the docs have some really clear examples on creating galleries. It's as simple as adding a class in most cases.

Personally, I'd use ACF gallery plugin. Loop the images into thumbnails. Then use Magnific light box which will work responsively.

This is a perfect example of the issues with backend plugins being used for frontend stuff. Use the AFC gallery plugin then write all the other stuff in the frontend yourself, feel free to use some jQuery lightbox plugin on the frontend if you don't fancy writing the js by hand.