Sign in to follow this  
Acknowledged74

How would you intergrate GIT code control, with Expression Engine

Hi

I've been asked to use GIT code version control, which frankly I don't know about. I'm presuming you put code in and it makes sure its say HTML 5?

Also we will be using Expression Engine to build the site, how would the 2 things intergrate would you think?

Really appreciate some advice, my boss expects, and we all kow how that feel :0)

Ta.

For starters in ExpressionEngine you need to save templates as files, you can do this via the control panel Template section and on a template by template basis if you need to, but it's usually best to always save all as files. By default template files live in the /system/expressionengine/templates folder but you can move the /templates folder to wherever you want, eg if you utilise a global /assets folder put them in /assets/templates

Then using GIT you can push updated template files to your templates folder on the site whenever you want to, EE will see any new templates and sync them automatically.

As for how GIT actually works I've still not completely wrapped my head around it, but think of it as a file repositiory that keeps records of all your template updates. From there you can "commit" any changes then push updated files to your site. Something like that...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Ciwan
      Hello Friends

I am just starting out with NodeJS and Gulp.

I have everything working as I want, and I now want to keep track of my changes via Git.

What are the files and folder that I should add to `.gitignore`? Attached is the folders I have. Inside public I have two folders. These are `src` and `dist`.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    • By evu
      Hi,

I've had a little experience with Git on a personal level, mainly to get to grips with it. In this case I had a local WP installation set up on ampps, I'd make changes and when I was happy I'd push the changes to Bitbucket and FTPloy would deploy them to my live server. No problem, simple enough.

Now, the question is, how does this work for a large ecommerce site? At work we have a dev server and the live server. At the momement, we simply use FTP to try things on the Dev server and when it's signed off, it just gets manually FTP'd to the live server. What I'm confused about is how do you try things if I don't have a local server set up?

I had planned on getting it set up so that things are pushed to the dev server, once it's signed off it gets merged with the live server code base and pushed to the live server. I don't understand how this works though, do I have to push/commit everything I want to try whilst developing to the dev server? That's a lot of hassle...

How do you manage such a use case?
    • By valgusepoiss
      Hello everybody!

Would like to discuss something with all of you. I have been learning and using PHP for 5 years now and everything I know, I have learned by myself. I mostly made websites for myself, friends and one company i worked for. I would like to think that i have moderate knowledge of php and website building, maybe a bit lower than that... not sure how high is the bar for moderate though. That said, for last year I kept stumbling on posts about CMS systems and how great they are. I have always passed the idea of using one myself, thinking that "i know enough PHP and and dont need one, besides i like to have control over the whole code of my website and to know and understand every bit of it". Not sure how good arguments are these. Keep in mind that i know very little about CMS and how it actually works.

But now... having been working on a website project for a half a year, I am starting to have doubts. Maybe i should have gone with the CMS from the beginning. Switching to it may be a lot of work but maybe its worth it at the end and i am planning to update and develop this project for many years. That is what i wanted to discuss with you. Is it worth to switch to the CMS or should i go with moderate code?. This is my largest project yet!

What is my website like?
      I am using a lot of jquery and ajax. It will be multilingual in the future. I am starting with my native language and make it available in more languages when i have perfected the website. I am also adding the multilingual scripts later. Users can recommend updates and vote for them There is two types of registering. Fast and traditional. With fast you can click registering button and just prove you are human and you are done. There is a forum with certain user parameters shown in signatures of every post. Also, there is a unique type of topics that are created automatically with time. Certain users have one of these topics assigned by default. It is similar to like when users have topic of their birth year assigned to them. It will be an important part of the forum. Users have profiles. There is also article section where users and myself can add articles, vote for them, comment and suggest updates. There is also a market section where users can sell their stuff and i made unique sorting box where users can sort only the stuff they need to buy. There is also a lot of other links where users can add stuff for personal or public use and read about it but i cant say more without giving away the point of the website. So here it is. And my question would be... with all this custom stuff, is it worth using CMS or should i stick with my original code? Even if website SEO optimization and structure code is moderate quality.