Sign in to follow this  
katie66

Best screen resolution for a new monitor?

Currently looking into buying a new PC and have narrowed down to one or two but can't decide on the monitor.

My current set-up has an old HP monitor (1024x768) and I just know I'm gonna hate a new widescreen resolution, for a while at least.

Any suggestions on what to go for so that the change isn't too harsh? Looked at some of the previous comments but not really any the wiser. I'm probably looking for a 24" screen at the most.

Thanks

Kate

1920x1080 is full "1080p" HD quality. They're normally quite cheap, and allow you to natively watch high quality video too. They are quite wide, however.

i think you'll soon get used to - at homei still have 1280 x 1024 but at work i have 27" imac...

i wouldnät get less than 24" while you're buying ;)

Yep guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go for a decent size. New PC should be here on Friday hopefully so I'll have the weekend to set everything up. It'll be quite a jump going from xp/70gb hard drive/960mb ram and a 17" monitor to the shiny new system! :o

Thanks again for the tips.

if i was you i would get a 22"-27" monitor at 1920*1080, you will get use to it very quickly. At work i have a 24" monitor flanked by two 22" monitors and at home i have my 27" thunderbolt display at something like 2500*1300 what is great for developing :)

Well, I ended up with a 24" screen, 1920x1080 so thanks again for the suggestions. Don't know if I'll ever get used to all that space! And everything looks weird at that resolution when I've been developing on a 1024x768 screen for so long.

Still setting up the new PC, 3rd day of getting everything installed and copied over.

Going from XP to Win7 is an experience in itself and have had to re-educate myself on admin control, directory structure and all sorts of things.

Might actually start getting some real work done by Monday!

I would buy 24", 1920x1080 monitor if i had the chance. I have 19" 1280x1080 monitor at home and 24" 1920x1080 at work. The difference is huge, especially if you are working on a lot of things at the same time. If you have a bigger budget you could go for 27", but i think 24" would be also enough.