Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Building up a portfolio

Featured Replies

HI, I wasn't sure where to post this but here it goes.

 

I have been trying to put together my portfolio for a while but I just don't have much to put into it. I have built loads of websites but I cant exactly put them onto my portfolio. I can put them in my CV yes but not my portfolio.

 

My problem is that after a full days work I just don't find the time to come up with a concept, design and then build a site. I am not much of a designer so I most of the time I get half way through a design I get a little bored/frustrated that I cant design so I move on/start over. So I was thinking about buying a few PSD's from themeforest and building them for my portfolio, I will obviously make a really big note that its a bought PSD and not my own design.

 

I personally think that it would be a good way to show future employers how I build website, they can look at the original and then see how I put it all into code. I also think it would be great practice, there are so many cool new features out there but I cant always use them. If its just a template for my portfolio I would be able to create and build them using new tech which should be fun.

 

anyway I would appreciate your thoughts..... good or bad idea?

 

 

I think it depends what you're trying to sell yourself as.

 

If you're going for a designer, using someone else's template isn't really a good idea even if you do obviously note that it's not your own design.

 

If you want to be a developer then I don't see a huge problem with buying templates. In this case what you really want to showcase is your proficiency and ability with code. If that means lots of demos then maybe you don't even have to put much effort into a design (or buying a design) when you can create a simple website that doesn't distract the visitor from your great programming examples.

 

 

As a side question, why can't you put any of the websites you've created on your portfolio?

  • Author

Thanks for your input.

 

I am definitely not selling myself as a designer, If I have to I can design a website but I am not a designer so my goal with using these templates would be purely to develop them to show my development skills.

 

I know that as a developer I can create simple websites that are more focused on development and not on design so I could make simple websites that showcase my development skills. But this process is slow for me, I always end up spending more time trying to get the design perfect and sometimes I just keep starting over. My idea with this is more to supplement my portfolio with a few extra builds, just something to get me going.

 

The reason why I can t the sites on my Portfolio is because i work with a team, so some websites I build from scratch but mostly I am only building a piece. So if I don't create the HTML and I only convert it into a WordPress theme it hard to show that with being able to give them the option to download my code to see what I actually did.

Edited by funsella

Ah, well in that case I think you can and should put them on your portfolio. Then for each 'folio item make sure you give them 'tags' depending on whether it was teamwork or not and what your actual job was. It gets everything you've done into your portfolio, demonstrates everything you can do, but also shows that you can work in a team and perform many roles.

 

I know what you mean about starting over. My own portfolio site has had maybe 10 iterations since the beginning of last summer. The way I see it is it gives you an opportunity to play around with new things or practice others etc, etc.

Thanks for your input.

 

I am definitely not selling myself as a designer, If I have to I can design a website but I am not a designer so my goal with using these templates would be purely to develop them to show my development skills.

 

I know that as a developer I can create simple websites that are more focused on development and not on design so I could make simple websites that showcase my development skills. But this process is slow for me, I always end up spending more time trying to get the design perfect and sometimes I just keep starting over. My idea with this is more to supplement my portfolio with a few extra builds, just something to get me going.

 

The reason why I can t the sites on my Portfolio is because i work with a team, so some websites I build from scratch but mostly I am only building a piece. So if I don't create the HTML and I only convert it into a WordPress theme it hard to show that with being able to give them the option to download my code to see what I actually did.

 

I would definitely still include a reference to them on your portfolio. Every thing you work on, however small or seemingly insignificant it may seem, all helps build up a positive picture in the eyes of a prospective employer or client.

 

I see numerous graphic designers portfolio's with references to work done for a lot of big names, and I know for a fact in most of those cases the work was done while working for a graphic design agency as part of a large team, and they were responsible for a smaller part of the whole project. They still include it.

 

Just be clear on what parts you helped with and everyone's happy :)

 

 

If you're going for a designer, using someone else's template isn't really a good idea even if you do obviously note that it's not your own design.

If you want to be a developer then I don't see a huge problem with buying templates. In this case what you really want to showcase is your proficiency and ability with code.

 

Agreed :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.