Digitalme

Which Laptop should I get for Web Designing?

Ha. Great minds eh. We both commented on this at about the same time :)

The article of the image is also dated 2008.. Things have move on a little bit since then ;)

macs_and_pcs.jpg

Click the image to learn more..

Only a little condensending that image is. Let's not forget that this is just a tool. You should find out what works for you best and the rest is gravy. Arguing on if mac or PC is better is like girls arguing who is prettier, or guys arguing whose car is the coolest looking. It's stupid. Just stop it.

Even MS uses macs (Steven Balmers computer at a presentation)...

18s3yt2at83bijpg.jpg

And im sure Steve Jobs and Tim Cook have used a PC at one point or another.

Just stop the squabbling.

Most of this discussion has been around development, but I've always personally thought the best design software is out on Mac, which takes advantage of the frameworks and tools native to the OS. Basically this means they can't be ported over.

Sketch, Affinity and Pixelmator are great examples. Look at the features in this video https://affinity.serif.com/en-us, and the upcoming photo version which is in beta https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/. This software is a fraction of the cost of the Adobe suite. So while PC hardware may be cheaper, the software usually isn't. If you happen to come across a cheap or open source windows program, it's never at the level of what's out there on Mac, and the open source stuff on Linux really isn't great at all. I used both systems at my old workplace, but mainly PC, and it was frustrating not having other suitable options.

Web design (or development for that matter) is not really that resource demanding. For designers the most important thing is to have a good screen with correct color and contrast. All designers on a tight budget should really be spending their money on a good screen rather than an expensive laptop.

For back-end development it would make sense to use the same system as what ever your servers are running but it's fairly easy to install Windows on a Mac if you want to develop ASP.NET/SQL applications just like you also easily can install PHP/MySQL on any platform so there is really no issue here.

For front-end it's true that some of the task automation tools were easier to install and use on Mac but it's really not that difficult on a Windows machine now. If you are using Microsoft WebMatrix it might even be easier.

Edited by Nillervision

Web design (or development for that matter) is not really that resource demanding. For designers the most important thing is to have a good screen with correct color and contrast. All designers on a tight budget should really be spending their money on a good screen rather than an expensive laptop.

For back-end development it would make sense to use the same system as what ever your servers are running but it's fairly easy to install Windows on a Mac if you want to develop ASP.NET/SQL applications just like you also easily can install PHP/MySQL on any platform so there is really no issue here.

For front-end it's true that some of the task automation tools were easier to install and use on Mac but it's really not that difficult on a Windows machine now. If you are using Microsoft WebMatrix it might even be easier.

Photoshop is pretty resource heavy, Some of the browsers also seem to use up a boatload of RAM these days, but I agree we don't need to go all out and buy the real top of the line stuff.

Regarding the Frontend: Software that was released 2-3 years ago can now be run on Windows but the stuff that's being released now you have to wait for somebody to make a Windows port - And there's a lot of stuff being released now. It's all down to the CLI anyway, You won't find any of the big name devs at conferences using a Windows machine, I think they all have put some thought into the machines they use :) Then there's doing anything with servers - a huge percentage being Unix based - It's a good idea that your local setup closely mimicks the enviroment of the live server.

I've always been a windows person, until I was introduced to the CLI and started needing tools that either don't have windows support, or it is very limited. I really do wish I had chosen a Mac over windows for my home machine, but I was new to the scene then and didn't know any better. I quickly learnt my mistake when I started to work on my Mac at work.

Edited by rbrtsmith

As a designer who uses apple hardware and used to use windows i can tell you that I noticed zero difference in visual quality (unless you choose apples retna display + graphics card aside)

I have an imac and a macbook pro, Due to the software I find it easier to create things on them due to things like multiple desktop ability.

When it comes to power, I have 32gb ram in my imac, 16gb in my macbook pro but my macbook pro also has a 1tb ssd. The reason for the 32gb is because i do video editing and creation in after effects so it helps with rendering. The 16gb is the macbook maxed out and the 1tb ssd I will openly admit was OTT, but hey, im a tech freak.

Windows will work just as well, if for example you are using photoshop in windows a good amount of ram might be 8gb, if you are doing a lot of 3d work in photoshop I would bump that to 16gb just in case, but if you do video rendering you would want as much ram as you can afford (or as much as your motherboard will take)

Personally I prefer asus for a windows machine, acer is made of very cheap parts (they are a 'budget brand') but of course all brands will do the job so just pick the best quality you can with imo asus being up the top.

Personally I prefer asus for a windows machine, acer is made of very cheap parts (they are a 'budget brand') but of course all brands will do the job so just pick the best quality you can with imo asus being up the top.

Never tried their laptops, however scratch building a PC I always go for an Asus board, they generally outlast any other units in the box :D

32gb memory. Damn.

I wouldn't mind getting a PC for gaming at some point. I said the same about a PS4 though, and still haven't got one.

32gb memory. Damn. I wouldn't mind getting a PC for gaming at some point. I said the same about a PS4 though, and still haven't got one.

I dont do games but im sure that one would be a mean machiene lol

Hahaha yeah, that looks more like a fighter jet :D

I'm sure i have seen a 64gb around but cant find it at the mo

A Macbook Pro with 32gb of Ram would be a dream for me. One day.

To be fair, I very rarely run into issues on my 16gb MBP, and I'm running loads of services and often multiple virtual machines at once.

Macbook pro's currently dont support 32gb ram, they only go up to 16gb and even then some only 'officially' go up to 8gb... Its the imac that goes to 32gb

Well, the Dev's have answered the question I guess, if Apple's better for development and that's what you want to get into then surely it's the answer.

I've always used Windows and never had any problem running the software I need.

I would, however, definitely stick by the fact that a lot of Apple users are smug and look down their noses at Windows users..why? Same reason XBox people don't like PS4 users I suppose.

Exactly the same reason; jealousy :) haha

Funny how almost all questions asking for advice on computers end up in a Mac vs PC debate.....personally, I'd go with a Mac every time :)

If I had a load of spare cash I'd build a hackintosh. Top-end PC hardware with OSX installed, I've never been a huge fan of Apples Hardware and still much prefer Android devices over iOS. However it's OSX that makes the difference for the resons we mentioned in this thread, nothing to do with looking cool or better, with a hackintosh folk would just assume you are using windows.

Yes I agree you do get that smugness from certain people, this is true in all sorts of things, especially fashion, cars etc. But they get this kind of status reputation for being good in the first place, or in a few cases being exclusive / expensive. i have no interest in buying any of Apple's other products tbh.

Edited by rbrtsmith

For development i use Linux because:

- CLI

- I don't do any graphic design so no need for programs like PS

- Work spaces

- package managers (no bloatwear)

- The money you would spend on a windows licence/mac could be spent on better hardware

- Easy to customize ... Dont like your desktop environment just install a new one

What i have done for my home PC is have windows and arch linux set up as a dual boot system so if i want to do development i can use linux but if i want to play games use windows but that's all i ever use it for)

If I had a load of spare cash I'd build a hackintosh. Top-end PC hardware with OSX installed, I've never been a huge fan of Apples Hardware and still much prefer Android devices over iOS. However it's OSX that makes the difference for the resons we mentioned in this thread, nothing to do with looking cool or better, with a hackintosh folk would just assume you are using windows.

Yes I agree you do get that smugness from certain people, this is true in all sorts of things, especially fashion, cars etc. But they get this kind of status reputation for being good in the first place, or in a few cases being exclusive / expensive. i have no interest in buying any of Apple's other products tbh.

This I can agree with.

- CLI

- Work spaces

- The money you would spend on a windows licence/mac could be spent on better hardware

- Easy to customize ... Dont like your desktop environment just install a new one

What i have done for my home PC is have windows and arch linux set up as a dual boot system so if i want to do development i can use linux but if i want to play games use windows but that's all i ever use it for)

Nice option :D

I think the thing the PC vs Mac debate often skips is hardware. If apple opened up the hardware then I probably wouldn't mind either way, hackintosh is probably the best option as you get to decide who makes what in your machine :D

- CLI

- Work spaces

A good alternative. I'm tempted to do this with my current laptop.

I seriously don't see what you can't do on a PC that you can do on a mac, macs look nice mostly but I wouldn't pay more for it. Coding doesn't need a super fast pc, neither do you need a fast pc for photoshop, and even if mac is slightly quicker, would you pay that much more for a tiny bit of speed? To me mac seems like a fashion accessory that someone like Bruno or Paris hilton would carry around in their handbags, it seems girly.

I am looking at a PC myself and have found one that's £220: http://compadvance.co.uk/en/item/230109/HP-15-g008er?gclid=CMeL5MHk2sYCFYvKtAod2zgOSA
Specs: Quad Core AMD A8-6410 |2.0GHz|AMD Radeon 8570M 2GB|Webcam|15.6" HD BV LED|4GB|HDD 500GB|DVDRW|WIFI|Bluetooth|ACA 65W|BATT 4C 41 WHr - FREEDOS

If you have loads of money hanging around I'd consider a mac, but even then I don't like to waste money on fashion accessories lol. I find the most annoying thing about any computer is the battery life, when your working on something and then the pc runs out of battery, you can't continue to work. You can if you want buy a PC and install mac software on it, linux on it's own have some flaws which you can only do on mac whereas windows has some flaws that linux doesn't. I recommend getting the most bang for your buck. HP's are very hot though.

Edited by NullDrone

I seriously don't see what you can't do on a PC that you can do on a mac, macs look nice mostly but I wouldn't pay more for it. Coding doesn't need a super fast pc, neither do you need a fast pc for photoshop, and even if mac is slightly quicker, would you pay that much more for a tiny bit of speed? To me mac seems like a fashion accessory that someone like Bruno or Paris hilton would carry around in their handbags, it seems girly.

I am looking at a PC myself and have found one that's £220: http://compadvance.co.uk/en/item/230109/HP-15-g008er?gclid=CMeL5MHk2sYCFYvKtAod2zgOSA

Specs: Quad Core AMD A8-6410 |2.0GHz|AMD Radeon 8570M 2GB|Webcam|15.6" HD BV LED|4GB|HDD 500GB|DVDRW|WIFI|Bluetooth|ACA 65W|BATT 4C 41 WHr - FREEDOS

If you have loads of money hanging around I'd consider a mac, but even then I don't like to waste money on fashion accessories lol. I find the most annoying thing about any computer is the battery life, when your working on something and then the pc runs out of battery, you can't continue to work. You can if you want buy a PC and install mac software on it, linux on it's own have some flaws which you can only do on mac whereas windows has some flaws that linux doesn't. I recommend getting the most bang for your buck. HP's are very hot though.

You need to read mine and Citypauls posts. There's a lot in web development that you cannot do in windows. Most professional developers work in the terminal, try doing this in windows on a day-to-day basis, it's a nightmare.

OSX is built on unix, the majority of servers are built on unix. This is why a Mac is superior.

Edited by rbrtsmith

You need to read mine and Citypauls posts. There's a lot in web development that you cannot do in windows. Most professional developers work in the terminal, try doing this in windows on a day-to-day basis, it's a nightmare.

OSX is built on unix, the majority of servers are built on unix. This is why a Mac is superior.

Shame the pricetag isn't the same as linux ;)

Edit: forgot to say unix based is great, until it's a windows server, then superiority is lost.

Edited by BrowserBugs

Shame the pricetag isn't the same as linux ;)

Edit: forgot to say unix based is great, until it's a windows server, then superiority is lost.

But then it's a windows server which is inferior to a Linux one.

So either way, *nix is the way forwards!

@@BrowserBugs the pricetag does really suck I agree. I am not Apple's biggest fan and I certainly won't be buying one for fashion reasons, but unfortunately the cost is a necessary evil, I've played around with linux and had a few issues with incompatabilities. Those short on cash should go for Linux over Windows, those willing to spend a bit more then Mac is what I'd recommend. Very high cost, but when I look at it long term it's a better investment.

The Mac is quite literally the only Apple product I'll own. I've had iPhones in the past and much prefer Android. I do hope someday that something comes along to properly challenge Apple in the desktop/laptop market. Windows being sucky for development is almost purely down to the fact it isn't built on Unix

Edited by rbrtsmith

Yeah I just like poking ;)

I agree on the unix front, maybe windows 10 will bring better support with less niggles. I do also wish Apple would release their grip and allow the open hardware support that windows has.

I would highly recomend to anyone who is working on a Windows machine to download Microsoft Webmatrix 3. It is completely free IDE and is bundled with the web platform installer. Besides from allowing you to set up databases and run server side locally (PHP, ASP.NET, Node.js Python, Ruby etc ) it also has extensions for all the front-end tasks that Mac people tell you can't be done in Windows. LESS/ SASS compilers, Git and TFS version control, mifiers for JS/CSS and accurate emulators for iPhone/ iPad and Windows Phone. Code highligting/intelisense and inline help not just for native scripting languages but also for jQuery/jQuery Mobile and CMSs like Wordpress/Joomla/Umbraco/Drupal/CakePHP if you type in a core function for these systems a window pops ups with an explanation on which parameters you can pass etc. (A total of 81 CMSs can be installed with the newest version with one click). The only thing that is a pain is exporting databases to live servers which only really works fluent with Windows Azure. But that is a small price to pay for this all in one IDE.

So if you can't afford a Mackbook don't despair :)

Edited by Nillervision

Try running some of the Node databases like Redis in windows, yes it is possible but it's a real pain in the *ss. http://redis.io/download there are so many systems that do not officially support windows, Jekyll is another one that I use for my blog, the unofficial port is pretty buggy in windows, so much so that I publish my posts on my work machine now.

Look under requirements: http://jekyllrb.com/docs/installation/ The list goes on.

Getting Ruby and node installed was also a little tricky, but I personally never saw any mac users say it cannot be done in Windows, but again they are not officially supported. Official support is pretty important if you are buiding professionally.

A lot of the very new things like those I mentioned above are not being ported to windows so also bear that in mind. Attend a developer conference and see how many of the speakers are running windows - likely not a single one, the experts aren't fanboys they are at the forefront of our industry building the tools of the future.

While there are workarounds for those that cannot afford a Mac (I've not bought one yet for home use) be prepared for issues with some of these technology stacks. I wouldn't be looking to pay the extortionate price for a Mac if it was not necessary - Windows is seriously holding back my learning. And this is coming from a former Windows fanboy.

Edited by rbrtsmith

Considering our industry gets a lot of our software and tools for free, the price of a mac or a good PC really isn't much, especially if you work professionally and make an income off it.

I've bought two Mac laptops in 9 years. It's highly justifiable, considering I didn't have to get a degree, and made a career from basically a £1000 investment and lots of time.

Also, the software you get for Mac is infinitely better than PC. Sketch and Affinity have basically replaced Adobe CC at a fraction of the cost, which is a big saving in itself. For example, Affinity Photo is a one off £29.99, and it gives Photoshop a serious run for its money. I've been using the beta for the last month and haven't needed PS since.

Linux is also built on unix.

And does it really save that much time?

I might consider buying a mac in the future when i have a decent income but for now i'll stick to linux and windows, the only time i use windows is for photoshop, if they got that working well under wine you'd only need linux. linux is always updating so i bet in the future it'll destroy mac.

i would use mac at work but i see that it also has flaws like every other os, if they have macs at work then i'll use them, even if macs are superior i doubt they are that superior, how much time do they save for you? and why do pro's develop on the command line?

Edited by NullDrone

Yes linux is also on unix. I've just seen a few issues with some software incompatabilities with it.

You don't develop totally in the command line, although some do using someting like VIM, if you're a fast typist it's much faster not having to use the mouse at all. if you watch somebody experienced with VIM the speed they can work at is mesmerising.

Anyway things like GIT, Node, Gulp, Grunt, Bower, Webpack and many others all are built for command line useage, some of them like GIT do have GUIs but point and clicking is considerably slower than typing commands. Maybe not at first but once you know the commands and use autocomplete with the tab key things are a lot faster.

Edited by rbrtsmith

Yes linux is also on unix. I've just seen a few issues with some software incompatabilities with it.

You don't develop totally in the command line, although some do using someting like VIM, if you're a fast typist it's much faster not having to use the mouse at all. if you watch somebody experienced with VIM the speed they can work at is mesmerising.

Anyway things like GIT, Node, Gulp, Grunt, Bower, Webpack and many others all are built for command line useage, some of them like GIT do have GUIs but point and clicking is considerably slower than typing commands. Maybe not at first but once you know the commands and use autocomplete with the tab key things are a lot faster.

Do you earn more money in the workplace if you are developing faster? Or do you have certain deadlines to when something is to be completed? I understand if you are freelancing seeing as you can take on more jobs, but I can't imagine it making a difference working for someone else.

Exactly how much faster is it?

Edited by NullDrone

I work for a company and you have to hit deadlines, plus if you can make your work easier why would you not.

What i like about the command line is that i can do everything from it, from editing a file in VIM to restarting the HTTP server. Plus if i have to do a lot of repetitive tasks i can just make a bash script to do it for me i.e. i have this script to automatically create the default files for a new module

mkdir $1
echo "var $1 = function() {}; 
$1.prototype = {
	includes: [],
	construct: function (){
	},
	destruct: function (){	
	}
};" > $1/module.$1.js

>$1/module.$1.html

svn add $1/
svn ci $1/

so with this command "./newModule test" it creates the basic structure for me, it only saves <30 seconds but every little helps

Edited by D4Y0

Jumping around the file system, creating folders and moving them ect is also really fast. It's good to learn also because when you get SSH access to a server you can perform all the same operations remotely on the server, so deloying work, pulling down fixes etc becomes very trivial in terms of time taken.

Afterall time is money so if we can save time doing these things it can be better spent on other aspects of the project giving the client more value.

In terms of employment knowing the terminal will always be on the list of nice haves for prospective employees, the better we are the better wage / jobs we can get so any form of improvment is beneficial and that includes terminal knowledge.

Edited by rbrtsmith

For development work I would never use a laptop.

I use a top of the range Skylake PC with a 28 inch monitor and 8GB DRAM.

I not only design websites but do CAD work as well.

Almost all modern laptops are more powerful than that. And like Paul says you can fix up laptops to large monitors. Like all the engineers I work with do - Yeah we all work from Mac Books because they are more than adequate.

An old post, but an interesting one.

I have used both mac and PC, and I would pick PC as you get better value for money. Macs are well over priced and quite frankly they do the same job. For the same price you can get a PC that is twice as powerful as a mac. I currently use an HP Envy, which works really well. However I have been told that most decent PCs these days use a solid state drive as they load/startup very quickly (almost instantly), and they tend to last longer without the performance starting to lag.

If monitor size is an issue, you can certainly afford to get a larger screen with PC and when I'm at work I plugin to another monitor as it's always useful having two.

The best possible option is custom PC, not a branded one. Brand adds 20% cost. The best performance is with the PC. A friend or guys in a computer store will assemble you just the perfect PC for your needs. Laptops are encreasing performance lately more than ever but just not enough to compete with PC except if its 3000$ or more wich in not cost effective. But if all option mentioned above aren't right for you than for laptop i would recommend lenovo thinkpad as for workstaiton. I know they are quite powerful and reliable. ;)