Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Understanding the Coda Slider 2

Featured Replies

I am about to try, for the first time, to use Coda Slider. I've never used Jquery and a slider.

I've been looking at the code and the code on example sites. Looking at the CSS and HTML side of things. One thing that has stumped me is that on this slider I would want thumbnails as the navigation links below the main image similar to colinprior.co.uk

 

However, for the life of me I can not find the HTML markup that has the navigation links in most of the coda based sites. AM I missing something? I can see the CSS sides of things, but the HTML/XHTML Has totally stumped me.

 

I would thought it

In this case, I would suggest using a sprite for the slider links. Set up the nav list as normal (<ul><li><a id>link text</a></li></ul>). Give each link an id. You can use text-indent: -99999px, which will hide text from the links and you can then set a background image (sprite) on the anchors through the CSS, using background-position for hovers etc.

 

colinprior.co.uk has done it slightly differently by simply including an img within the anchor tags.

 

Hope this helps.

Edited by jay pick

  • Author

In this case, I would suggest using a sprite for the slider links. Set up the nav list as normal (<ul><li><a id>link text</a></li></ul>). Give each link an id. You can use text-indent: -99999px, which will hide text from the links and you can then set a background image (sprite) on the anchors through the CSS, using background-position for hovers etc.

 

colinprior.co.uk has done it slightly differently by simply including an img within the anchor tags.

 

Hope this helps.

 

I see. So it's like a normal navigation bar then with on state, hover etc. Would that explain then why on his site each time I click the thumbnail a #number appears in the address bar because it's actually going to a new page?

I see. So it's like a normal navigation bar then with on state, hover etc. Would that explain then why on his site each time I click the thumbnail a #number appears in the address bar because it's actually going to a new page?

 

Its not going to a different page but a panel within the slider. So an anchor with an href="#5" would scroll to the panel within the slider that has that id. Not all versions of coda slider do this in the URL but still work in much the same way.

Edited by jay pick

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.