Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Linux newbie question

Featured Replies

I'm thinking about getting a laptop with Linux. I've never used it before in my life so pardon the dumb n00b question:

 

There are a few Windows apps (Baseball Mogul 2008, for example) that I'm really attached to but aren't available as Linux versions. Is there a way to run Windows programmes on Linux and/or does it depend on the type of Linux (for my purposes, I'm asking about a custom version of Xandros *cough* for the Asus Eee 900 PC *cough*)?

 

What do I need to know before I take the plunge?

Hi Expat,

 

There are ways to run Windows apps under Linux, using the application "WINE" (wine is not (a windows) emulator), which you will need to install after getting your new laptop.

 

I am downloading the demo of Baseball Mogul as we speak, so I will tell you if it works. Be aware that my Linux machine is a lot more powerful than the Eee so even if it runs on mine, you might have a problem purely down to the specs of the Eee.

ok, for me the demo installed and ran fine (cept I have no idea how to play, so I don't know about the graphics)

 

demo installer does not work for BBM08, however it apparently works for BBM07 (unverified)

  • Author

Thanks for checking that out and trying the demo, Penguin. I really appreciate it!

 

The specs for BBM08 are pretty low (no real graphics or action to speak of - it's a simulator), so it would only be down to whether it actually works. Which it doesn't (or is it just an installer issue - could I run it off an SD card?). :( That makes me very sad.

 

Do you give high marks for WINE otherwise? Is it easy to use or do I have to know tons about hacking into this and that to make it work?

 

Thanks! :D

Hi Expat,

 

From what I have read in my quick google search, the problem is with the installer, so you *might* be able to run it off an SD card.

 

WINE installations range from "exactly like Windows" to "hell on earth". For a pretty verbose list of what works, and in some cases how to make it work, check out the AppDB at http://www.winehq.org

  • Author

Muchas gracias. :hi:

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.