Sign in to follow this  
Scott S

Copyright.....

Whilst browsing, I came across this site which I thought people might find informative.....

http://whatiscopyright.org/

Regards

Scott

Great site. It answered a lot of what I was curious about.

Whilst browsing, I came across this site which I thought people might find informative.....

http://whatiscopyright.org/

Regards

Scott

Great site! Thanks! Very informative. I learnt alot about Copywrite from that page. Now i have a greater understanding, thanks for posting this up!

great topic, although copying is not so easy to control in these days of www...Or is it?

I just read this on the SitePoint website:

"1. Steal a Proposal That Works

The best way to write a good proposal is to start with a good proposal that’s already been written! Unlike your school days, the business world is built on plagiarism. The next time you receive a standard document from someone, use Word’s “Properties” command to check out the names listed under the title, author, and company fields. Chances are, one, two, or all three will be different from the person who sent you the document. Checking the document in which I’m typing this column reveals that I stole this template from an article that appeared last year." (by Chris Yeh).

So??...

If we own a copy of work then it simply doesn’t mean that one owns copyright in that work. The Copyright Act does provide copyright protection to authors but it does not define this term. The word ‘author’ from the perspective of copyright has evolved to essentially become synonymous with creator. A creator includes someone who writes a book, magazine or newspaper article, play, poem, or computer program. It is therefore mandatory that only the creator can subsequently sell, license, assign, or give away copyright and this must be done by written agreement. Hence, when some one want to use or to reproduce a portion of a work and needs permission of the copyright owner to do so, then it must be make sure first that who owns the copyright because the creator of the work may have given his rights provided by copyright law to another party.

(via Miracle Technologies)

Ooh that's really useful. I always wondered why some websites would have say.. copyright 2006-2008 when it was 2010 so thought they weren't covered. Didn't realise those are just the dates at which it was created / modified. Durr!