Sign in to follow this  
tony2k

Dropdown menu overlap

Now one problemn has been solved i move onto the next lol.

If you take a look at cheaptrade.co.uk down the left hand side of the page you will see a 'Categories (click to expand)' dropdown menu with an advertisement box below it. Currently if you click the dropdown menu, as it expands it pushes the advertisement box down and makes the browser windo longer.

Does anybody know how i would make the dropdown menu simply overlap or expand over the advertisement box rather than pushing it down? Id like to do this without using the z-index command if possible as i dont like using positioning for my div's.

Many thanks.

The only way to make an element not affect other elements is taking it out of the flow. And the only way to do that is by positioning them absolutely. (position fixed also takes it out fo the flow, but then it's relative to the viewport.)

The only way to make an element not affect other elements is taking it out of the flow. And the only way to do that is by positioning them absolutely. (position fixed also takes it out fo the flow, but then it's relative to the viewport.)

Iv found something similar to what i need on britster.com, if you look at the menu at the top id like one like that but i cant find out what type of menu it is.

Thanks

That site is not a good example. It uses masses of Javascript and invalid markup. A List Apart got a few articles on drop down menus. Have a look at the various articles and method there. http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=drop+...ll&sp-k=All