August 15, 200917 yr Hi all, This is another newbie story I'm afraid. I have limited experience in web design. I've built six or seven in my time, one of which is for my rehearsal studio (www.shutupfool.co.uk)- it's not great. I am at a point where we are wishing to regularly update our sites content with posts, mp3's and video (kind of magazine style) and I'm unsure what platform to use? Wordpress seems straight forward but is there a better solution or should I just stick to a basic site and update long hand. I know this is a little basic but I want to start on the right foot and leave scope for development (adspace etc). Cheers Brainiacs, Hit me back
August 17, 200917 yr Hi all, This is another newbie story I'm afraid. I have limited experience in web design. I've built six or seven in my time, one of which is for my rehearsal studio (www.shutupfool.co.uk)- it's not great. I am at a point where we are wishing to regularly update our sites content with posts, mp3's and video (kind of magazine style) and I'm unsure what platform to use? Wordpress seems straight forward but is there a better solution or should I just stick to a basic site and update long hand. I know this is a little basic but I want to start on the right foot and leave scope for development (adspace etc). Cheers Brainiacs, Hit me back You might want to have a look at HammerKit as well. We offer a completely hosted, easy-to-learn site and service development environment that you do not need to be coder to get going with. Not saying it is better or worse than the three you mention, but it is free to try....check it out at www.hammerkit.com
August 17, 200917 yr From what I read, it sounds like Wordpress would be the right kind of software for you, you say your a beginner in this area, so I warn you now, don't bother with Drupal or Joomla, I tried Drupal myself and its ridiculously complicated and as for Joomla, although I haven't used it myself, I hear that again its pretty complicated to use. I think for what your tried to do Wordpress is the way forward as in its basic form I guarantee it can accomplish most of what you want to do, and if it can't I guarantee theres a plugin for it somewhere, I design my sites through Wordpress and I've just recently launched my first Wordpress website and I wanted a lot from it, but I've been learning how to really delve into Wordpress over a number of months and I'm amazed at how flexible it is, stuff I never though would be possible and probably isn't without a great deal of hassle in other software is possible in Wordpress, and theres specific themes and plugins out there for Wordpress that handle MP3's and Videos, I tell you theres some pretty fantastic themes and plugins out there. As for what your actually getting yourself into, it depends all on what you want to achieve if you just want to have a place to reguarly post, and post mp3's etc then its really easy, but if your wanting to get into the deeper side of things, for example wordpress theme development and stuff like that, then honestly theres a lot to learn but as with all things if you jump right into it, you soon pick it up, I did and although it took me a few months. a number of false starts and many mouse thrown across the room to get my first main wordpress website up it was absolutely worth it. So hopefully I've made sense and given you a bit of info that might help you!
Create an account or sign in to comment