Analytical Madness

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any idea which is the best completely free open-source software I could use to create my website.

I've been using a program called Open Element up until now. But it has some shortcomings including text which changes size depending on the webpage and it doesn't have a built in search engine.

The type of software I'm looking for must be drag-and-drop since I only know a little bit of coding. It must also allow me to use a search engine, preferably through something built in, and it must have a good way to change how it displays pages on mobile. Finally, I'm looking for something more like Wix than Wordpress. So something where I have relative freedom to change the themes, increase the size of images, change the layout, move things around freely, etc. as I wish.

It must also allow for good SEO.

Note that I don't need a url or webhosting, since I already use GoDaddy for that purpose, but only need the design software.

#2 James Winfield

James Winfield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

Squarespace, maybe?  Barely touched it myself as I would always code something so don't know much about it.

#3 GrahamUK33

GrahamUK33

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:41 PM

Did you find any free open-source software to use?

I have never used drag and drop type of software as I have always tried to learn how to code, but I can understand that it’s not for everyone.

Did you give Wix a try, if so how did you get on with it?

#4 Analytical Madness

Analytical Madness

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

Squarespace, maybe?  Barely touched it myself as I would always code something so don't know much about it.

I believe I have, yes. But I'm not 100% sure. I tried most of the basic ones like Squarespace and Wordpress.

Did you find any free open-source software to use?

I have never used drag and drop type of software as I have always tried to learn how to code, but I can understand that it’s not for everyone.

Did you give Wix a try, if so how did you get on with it?

Nothing that works for me, sadly.

Yeah, I think that's a bit too much of an investment in time to me.

I have. It's decent but it has some problems. Among them the fact that I have to pay to use my own domain and secondly it displays a banner of "Made by Wix" on the bottom if you don't pay.

#5 dap

dap

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

i think you're expecting too much from free services - you always have to pay something either with their banner at the bottom or in some other way. Of course you have to pay for a domain name. Or invest in your own learning time. Unrealistic expectaions usually end in disappointment :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: website, program, sofrware, seo, wix, wordpress, open-source

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users