Photo

My site suspended for Excessive Consumption - Help! Hosting Gave me 48 hours to try to Fix it -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Psiqueduelo

Psiqueduelo

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:SEO

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

Hi there! 

First of all, sorry If I am posting on the wrong forum, mods feel free to move the post if necessary.

I started a personal blog on WordPress on January 2017. The site is http://psiqueduelo.com.
The site is mainly designed to write articles. That's all I do, I write blog´s post and that's it. I say this because the hosting provider asked me what was the purpose of the web.

At this time, I have like 25 posts and a metric of 170 - 270 daily visitors.

The thing is this morning my site got suspended for excessive consumption of resources that heavily affect the hosting provider. (That's what they told me via ticket).

The hosting provider told me my site could be infected or that I have a problem with my website optimization or else there's a plugging running without permission causing the excessive resources consumption... They enabled my site back & they gave 48 hours to try to fix the issue. They told me to reply back after deleting all plugins to see if it improved or not. 

Now I am here looking for some help. Is there anything I can do to check what may be causing the supposedly high demand of recourses in my site? I don't know if it's just my crappy hosting service :/. They told me my site exceeds the resources by more than 1000% of my hosting pack.

I will provide a list with the Plugins I am using:

- Akismet Anti-Spam by Automattic
- Async JavaScript by Clough I.T. Solutions
- Cookie´s notice by dFactory
- Contact form by Web-Settler
- Disqus Comment System by Disqus 
- Jetpack by WordPress.com
- kk Star Ratings by Kamal Khan
- Loginizer by Raj Kothari
- MyThemeShop Theme/Plugin Updater
- Re-add text underline and justify by Brice Capobianco
- Shareaholic | By Shareaholic
- Table of Contents Plus - Michael Tran
- UpdraftPlus - Backup/Restore - UpdraftPlus.Com, DavidAnderson
- W3 Total Cache
- WP Review
- WP Shortcode by MyThemeShop
- WP Tab Widget
- Yoast SEO

I already deleted MashShare Plugin :c

Please any help would be appreciated! 
Thanks guys in advance

#2 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

What is the bandwidth your hosting provides?

What bandwidth does your cpanel say you are using?

Why have you got all those plugins (most of which you don't need)?

#3 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,470 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

Check your server logs or stats to see if there has been any unusual activity, for instance lots of request from one IP address. It's possible someone has been exploiting your site in some way via an insecure plugin.

By "excessive consumption of resources" do you mean bandwidth or using too much CPU time?

#4 Psiqueduelo

Psiqueduelo

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:52 AM

Thanks guys for replying! I will quote you guys back:

Check your server logs or stats to see if there has been any unusual activity, for instance lots of request from one IP address. It's possible someone has been exploiting your site in some way via an insecure plugin.

By "excessive consumption of resources" do you mean bandwidth or using too much CPU time?

The email said CPU/TOS, so I believe it´s related to CPU time. Let me see how can I check the IP´S. I got into my cpanel and theres something called 

Webalizer.

I don´t what is the bandwidth my hosting provides, I am checking their site and I can´t find any info? 

This is their site: https://www.hostings.../comparar.shtml

It´s in Spanish but I believe you can check it though. 

If I go into my CPanel to check my CPU Usage it says:

Resource Usage Overview Disabled, please contact an administrator.

I use table of contents for seo purpose, same the plugin star rating, I thought these one would help me W3 Total Cache, Loginizer, Akismet Anti-Spam by Automattic & Async JavaScript by Clough I.T. Solutions, Should I just get rid of them? :S 

#5 Psiqueduelo

Psiqueduelo

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:15 AM

An user on another forum recommended me to get rid of jetpack, never thot of it before, thinking it was a wordpress plugin, i didn't think of it :s I am trying to upload my metrics, will update soon 

See anything important guys? 

2zefl6o.png

33ng5rm.png

Edited by Psiqueduelo, 12 October 2017 - 02:24 AM.

#6 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:38 AM

Nothing looks out of the ordinary but there could be a script running in the background unrelated to the website.

As to the plugins, the optimising plugins ones you have installed will make very little difference as it's just a small site. The table of contents has no SEO benefit and jetpack is mostly pointless.

I think it's just your hosting company being stupid as the excessive use could be one of the other sites on the shared server.

#7 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

Hi,

Damn sounds like a right headache, I remember once when I had a memory leak in a script, took ages to find so I feel your pain. There are lots of options to narrow it down, I don't use WordPress but I would suggest checking on the server when each plugins files were modified in case of tampering or try turning the plugins off (not sure what they do), if resources go back to normal and you'll know its a plug in.

Did the host say when your 'excessive use' began? If the site has been running since January when did it start to make the server grumble?

Looking at your log images (and using a translator) 198.50.196.240 has unusual stats, loads of requests (solicitudes?) and pages (paginas?) but only 646kb whereas the rest look average balance. The ip tracks to ISP: OVH Hosting Region: Montreal (CA) if that's any help.

Edited by BrowserBugs, 12 October 2017 - 08:46 AM.

#8 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

That IP address appears to be the hosting company: http://whois.domaint...psiqueduelo.com

#9 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

If it's CPU related your host should be able to identify what script is causing it, that would give you a clue as to where to look.

I had this happen a few years ago, my host told me the exact file that was the culprit, fortunately updating that particular script solved the issue, though it's not always that easy :)

#10 Psiqueduelo

Psiqueduelo

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

Nothing looks out of the ordinary but there could be a script running in the background unrelated to the website.

As to the plugins, the optimising plugins ones you have installed will make very little difference as it's just a small site. The table of contents has no SEO benefit and jetpack is mostly pointless.

I think it's just your hosting company being stupid as the excessive use could be one of the other sites on the shared server.

Hi,

Damn sounds like a right headache, I remember once when I had a memory leak in a script, took ages to find so I feel your pain. There are lots of options to narrow it down, I don't use WordPress but I would suggest checking on the server when each plugins files were modified in case of tampering or try turning the plugins off (not sure what they do), if resources go back to normal and you'll know its a plug in.

Did the host say when your 'excessive use' began? If the site has been running since January when did it start to make the server grumble?

Looking at your log images (and using a translator) 198.50.196.240 has unusual stats, loads of requests (solicitudes?) and pages (paginas?) but only 646kb whereas the rest look average balance. The ip tracks to ISP: OVH Hosting Region: Montreal (CA) if that's any help.

If it's CPU related your host should be able to identify what script is causing it, that would give you a clue as to where to look.

I had this happen a few years ago, my host told me the exact file that was the culprit, fortunately updating that particular script solved the issue, though it's not always that easy :)

Thank you! I will contact them now to see if they can identify any script causing the problem. 

That IP address appears to be the hosting company: http://whois.domaint...psiqueduelo.com

Ah thank you!! I was about to ask what I should do regarding the IP.

Hi,

I will ask them when my excessive use began. They didn´t mention it either! The translation was good btw :) Loads of requests is solicitudes and pages means páginas. 

I just contacted my hosting provider & I just got rid of all the optimising plugins. If I get rid of JetPack what will I miss? The metrics & that´s it? Nothing else will change? I haven´t done it because I don´t know If I will lose anything  :santa_undecided:

PD: The pack I bought with this hosting provider ends on January 2018. I just checked their site and they are charging like 31$ for the hosting service & domain. I paid back then 20$ - january 2017-.

Is there any other hosting provider out there with good service & staff support for that price? I could pay on January 2018 up to 50$ a year for a start. Dollars in my country are really a big problem right now :( so I can´t handle anything expensive. Any recommendation? 

& Thanks guys for your support! :)

PD PD: I contacted already the hosting provider. Will update when they reply back! 

@TimW  Thank you for the heads up! I couldn't reply you through PM because I don´t have yet 25 posts. 

EDIT:

​I deactivated Jetpack & no  major problems I encountered. I just lost my contact form on my contact page. Is there a way to add a contact form manually? LIke coding i don´t know? Or do I need to add a plugin for it? If so which one would you guys recommend? Or should i just leave it without contact form while I solve the issue. 

EDIT EDIT: I feel like I should get rid of Disqus but I don´t really want to :( I like that design a lot! :/ 

Edited by Psiqueduelo, 12 October 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#11 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

You don't need disqus. The number of comments you have are small so just use the built in WP commenting

There are loads of contact form plugins you can use. This is mine: https://wordpress.or...k-contact-form/

Why use a US host? Try using a local host who will take payment in your currency. It will be cheaper and provide a much better service.

#12 Psiqueduelo

Psiqueduelo

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

You don't need disqus. The number of comments you have are small so just use the built in WP commenting

There are loads of contact form plugins you can use. This is mine: https://wordpress.or...k-contact-form/

Why use a US host? Try using a local host who will take payment in your currency. It will be cheaper and provide a much better service.

Okay, just got rid of Disqus too! :)

I will check quick contact form. 

Why a US host? Because local hosts offer crappy service. The best one is the one I am using and still I have had problems with them in this year :/ I am from Venezuela and there are like only 3 companies offering the service. When reviewing each, all of them have a lot of complaints. I tried the one I am using  - Hosting SSI - because I found out this one was the one with less user problems. 

EDIT:

Reply from the hosting provider:

Good afternoon, Mrs. Sandra,

We are constantly performing a general check of all accounts in each of the servers, if your problem persists we will inform via ticket, we will be performing a checkup and inform you.

Additionally, we do not know if it is due to a scripts that is running, though we will proceed to check, take into account that a scripts can be product of a PLUGIN installed.

xxxxxx, @ HostingSSi

Ok so that was a quick translation!

Edited by Psiqueduelo, 12 October 2017 - 06:26 PM.

#13 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

For you $50/year budget it may be hard to find a good host. You could try https://www.sitegrou...ess-hosting.htm who I have had experience with when dealing with a clients web site, their support was good and site speed good as well. they offer Wordpress hosting within your budget.

#14 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Web Guru

• Gold Membership
  • 1,367 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:40 PM

Okay, just got rid of Disqus too! :)

I will check quick contact form. 

Why a US host? Because local hosts offer crappy service. The best one is the one I am using and still I have had problems with them in this year :/ I am from Venezuela and there are like only 3 companies offering the service. When reviewing each, all of them have a lot of complaints. I tried the one I am using  - Hosting SSI - because I found out this one was the one with less user problems. 

EDIT:

Reply from the hosting provider:

Ok so that was a quick translation!

have you a caching plugin? Might help somewhat if you add one...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users