#1 Yelsha64

Yelsha64

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

Hey Guys, 

Been reading this forum for a while now and only just joined, some very good info on here so thank you all first of all. 

I've been designing and building websites for a few years now as a hobby and have just finished my site for my freelance business to get a bit of extra income. I am targeting small businesses and sole traders in my local area who need professional looking static sites. I'll be using wordpress and squarespace. 

I was wondering what you guys thought of website packages and whether you have had any success selling them to clients.  

I know a lot of web designers don't do this and prefer to discuss a clients requirements first and then quote them. 

As I am building fairly basic websites I think I can get the majority of info I need from a form so was thinking of selling packages which prompts you to fill the requirements needed for the site and then agreeing to a contract before paying at checkout. The price I have put for the packages suit the time frames I know i can complete the sites. 

I have seen a few top web agency use this model. 

Have any of you used this model and was it successful for smaller businesses?  

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance for anyone who replies, 

Ashley 

#2 blibbka

blibbka

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

No replies so I'll have a shot :)

I know a few people who have tried this and I had a sniff myself but abandoned the project.

The issue I had with it is that I find it tends to attract clients who only look at the price tag, rather than the quality. I enjoy having the time to provide a really good quality website - with bespoke design, future-proofed coding, etc.

You could probably get it to pay if you put enough effort into the marketing, but I suspect you'll need to content yourself with the idea of cranking out cookie-cutter templated websites and may not get a great deal of professional satisfaction.

#3 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

No replies so I'll have a shot :)

I know a few people who have tried this and I had a sniff myself but abandoned the project.

The issue I had with it is that I find it tends to attract clients who only look at the price tag, rather than the quality. I enjoy having the time to provide a really good quality website - with bespoke design, future-proofed coding, etc.

You could probably get it to pay if you put enough effort into the marketing, but I suspect you'll need to content yourself with the idea of cranking out cookie-cutter templated websites and may not get a great deal of professional satisfaction.

Nail on the head mate. I've long since given up on price tag clients, they normally want the moon on a stick for a fiver ;)

#4 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:25 AM

And the quick turnround is never that. There will be endless emails, skype and telephone conversation about every nuance of the site. You can wait for months to get the content and after launch the phone calls will continue because they don't rank immediately or the conversions don't happen or the wife doesn't like the colours and whatever. Doesn't matter what your contract says, they don't listen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users