DonkeyWorx

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

Anyone have any advice, suggestions, comments about using share button services?

I've tried both ShareThis and AddThis but their scripts can really impact page load (even if it's only half a second  it is noticeable) and I wondered if it was simple/better to do it myself. I only currently offer quick share via twitter, facebook and linkedin but AddThis and ShareThis allow the user to pick additional ones from a drop down. And if I did it myself I wouldn't get the nice analytics.

What are the panel's thoughts?

Thanks.

Paul

#2 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Anyone have any advice, suggestions, comments about using share button services?

Don't use them.

Seriously, remove them from your site. The value they add is almost zero so just get rid of the things.

But if you feel you really must use them just manually add the code to your site. The analytics information is worthless, knowing that 10 people shared a link means nothing. What you want to know is how many people visited your site from an SM site. and your normal analytics well tell you this.

#3 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

Most providers have a standard link that can act as a sharing button, we normally use these at work. Adding a follower count is pointless and can make a site look bad, especially when only 1 person has shared a post, most of the time there's no shares as well.

Using something like http://sharelinkgenerator.com makes them easy to style because it just gives you HTML, and it's easy to make them dynamic in a CMS.

I agree with Fisicx, they really are pointless, and I can't stand them being a prominent part of a site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users