TimW

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

I don't know much about wordpress. I tied myself in to a simpler CMS some years ago and have mainly used that. I am thinking it's time to go with the mainstream and am embarking on a paid wordpress project with a combination of a lot of googling, some speed-reading of the codex pages and a bit of bluffing.

Am I going to be alright? a positive learning experience? Or crash and burn, disgrace and dishonour? I am thinking I might cobble together a simple minimal theme with no features and no posts, just pages and see how it goes, but then I am also wondering if there is any point. A lot of 'web designers' just tinker with existing themes these days.

idk

#2 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:53 PM

It's going to be a frustrating experience until you get used to, and understand how things work, even then it can make your life hell. WP has a lot of limitations mainly due to its poor database schema and lack of abstraction from the view and business logic.

I'd recommend looking into wp_query, custom post types and ACF after getting used to it. It's hard to do anything meaningful without those.

At some point I need to write up how we use WP at work. After a lot of soul searching and trial and error, we have a method of making re-usable template partials, components and fields. It's a lot nicer to work with because you don't have the standard level of duplication that most WP sites do.

If you're not tied to a platform, you can always use a better CMS like Craft if you're looking for something more powerful.

#3 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

It all depends on what you want to do with WordPress.

You can build a theme with very litte PHP knowledge. The file hierarchy is simple enough: https://developer.wo...late-hierarchy/ and there are some excellent guides you can use: https://developer.wo...etting-started/

Once you get the hang of themes you can use functions.php to rather than adding plugins. It means you can build complex sites that are still very fast to load.

Everything else is just CSS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users