#1 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

Hi,

I am the founder of WWW.ONLINECARBOOTY.COM which was the first Online Car Boot Sale ever created. The site now boasts over 100,000 members but we're always trying to improve things. We don't have a big budget like the big boys and have recently changed the look of the site and tried to make it look right on mobile and desktop. Until now, it used to have a seperate site for mobiles. I just wanted to ask what you guys thought of the site, design and responsiveness as we would love any positive or negative feedback.

Many thanks, Mark at OCB

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   61.23KB   0 downloads

#2 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,470 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Your site isn't displaying - get "You do not have permission to view this directory or page." message.

#3 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

Really? Do you mind trying it again please? I've just changed it from http to https but both work ok this end.

#4 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Web Guru

• Gold Membership
  • 1,367 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:27 PM

I've just tried it, and it still says "You do not have permission to view this directory or page."

I typed in manually the https and that is your issue, probably a htaccess issue although I'm no expert at that type of stuff

#5 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

Any ideas how to fix that? There's quite a few online across the UK at mo. Very weird. But thanks for letting me know.

#6 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

It's the way your link is formatted. https://www.onlinecarbooty.com works ok. But you have some redirection issues as I keep getting permission error messages.

But to be honest, the way the site is set out isn't good. Took me ages even work out how to see the stuff for sale. And when I did it looked dated and clunky.

And I have no idea at all how to buy anything. All I see are images of stuff - no descriptions, no details about condition or even where it's located. and it just doesn't work at all well on a phone.

I tried to register but I now have to go find an activation email - no need for this, a good registration system should log me straight in.

And I've only just realised I have to use the modal image navigation to see everything in an aisle. You need to show me everything so I can just scroll down rather than having to click on a random image and then click left/right.

And I can't find the 'search' button.

Sorry to be so negative, I think it's a great idea but you need to get rid of the backgrounds, show me the details of the stuff for sale and have a search option - or at the very least some sort of filtering.

#7 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

Appreciated. Yeah I know about some of these floors. I'm going to try make it clearer to get to the actual sale. Once logged in the sellers information is dislayed. I do think it requires a clearer buy now button.. There's just a PayPal icon at mo when you're logged in. I did have the activation email turned off but kept getting people signing in with any old email causing big bounce rates. I'll work on this stuff this week though. I'll pass the info about the redirects on to my web hoster/programmer. Many thanks.

#8 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

Just add a cpatcha to the sign up form and it will stops the spam.

The key to success though is the products for sale. They need to be on the homepage and visitors need to see the details. If they them like what's on offer they can sign up to buy.

Forcing people to join to see the details will put off most visitors.

#9 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

Cracking point Fisicx. I'll see if I can do that tonight. Is the website up now guys? There was a slight problem on our sever.

#10 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

Working now.

But the number one job should be to get rid of that homepage animation. It's just about the worst thing you can present to anyone

#11 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

Cheers. Aw, I like the animation ;-) I was told it was good for seo. You think it would be better to have a few fewatured items for sale on there instead?

#12 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Web Guru

• Gold Membership
  • 1,367 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

There is so much about your site that is so wrong, but I give you credit that despite its many design and user experience failings, you have managed to capture the essence of a boot sale ( it's probably the cheesy unprofessional imagery that is doing it, which might actually add to its charm, you just need to use them better) but your method of delivery is bad.

I will also add that animation as far as I am aware has zero impact on SEO but does impact the experience a user has when they visit your site, now whether this is a good or bad thing depends on the delivery and I refer to the previous comment I made above, that the delivery is entirely wrong and the site needs a rethink

#13 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:15 PM

I agree with a lot of that. It was an idea I had a few years ago and it was my first attempt at a site. I had it programmed for me but changed a lot of the style myself for the better.. It WAS worse which was down to my design. I am getting better at programming and trying to tart it up but I'm not great with layout and graphics. I am constantly improving things so hopefully it will get there. I've had about 1.5 million visitors in the last 4 years so it ain't bad. It could be better though and I'm still striving for that. Really glad I found this site to hear your opinions.

#14 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

Actually, as someone mentioned above.. The item images do slide left and right but on a desktop the slider is hard to see. Does anyone know how to add CSS to make the slider stand out? I've tried but with no success. It's written in VB/Asp.net. Many thanks again.

#15 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:02 AM

The only thing that matters for SEO is the text content. If Google can't read the words then it will move on. Hence my comment about displaying the product decriptions. And then making sure each product has its own page with title, description, category and links.

As to your question about the slider, try not to do this.

Categorise things and have each category a vertical lane: scroll up and down not side to side. So from the homepage I can click on the 'clothes' category and this takes me to the clothes page. Keep it simple.

#16 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

Yeah I agree for SEO it would help with a separate page for items with descriptions but it will involve a complete rewrite. The main thing that worries me though is deviating away from a car boot sale style.. It would start looking more like Ebay and the majority of sites which try to be Ebay, fail. Still, I wish to get this right and it's what people want that I must listen to.

#17 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

I know what you mean but the sideways slidey thing just doesn't work. At the very least you could have the name and price of the item. I can then click on the thumbnail to see the full monty (which is the new page).

And you really need to categorise things - otherwise it's just a load of scrolling and random images.

#18 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

There's a category selector at the top of the page. I would love the price overlayed over the thumbnails at least but I have no idea how to do that. Any ideas? :-)

#19 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

Do you mean the booty vision thing?

Why complicate things. Just bung the categories up as a nav bar

As the price overlay thing - you also need the name of the product. But do it with CSS. This is the method I like: https://css-tricks.c...cks-over-image/

I used it on this slider: http://www.balticrestaurant.co.uk/

I've used this method as well: https://codepen.io/wizly/pen/lfqFw

Google returns loads of other methods

Edited by fisicx, 18 July 2017 - 08:26 PM.

#20 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:16 AM

Wow, love the idea and feel of the site ... as others point out it's the 'quirky' style that brings the car boot feeling. That said, I have to be blunt mate, you need to sort out a lot of issues.

One of my biggest gripes is the main navigation. It looks so simple to use, until you try to and on desktop a simple example is try using a mouse to get to Sell > Book a Stall ... 9/10 times my mouse moves off and the nav disappears before I get there. I need to hover Sell, move down to Previous & Active Stalls and then straight left to get to Book a Stall. The other thing I would also expect is that clicking 'Sell' would take me to the main sell page about setting up a stall etc and the 'Buy' link would take me to 'Go Booting' as that's why I'm here, or better a page of all items for Sale, or a list of Stalls with items for sale. Also my final gripe on the nav is so many items on the navigation under sell or user require you be logged in. Would be much clearer if both had an overview of the services offered by having an account such as what 'Stats and Points' are, and hide the other options unless they are logged in. Wishlist should also be a constant like a shopping cart, even when empty it shows the service is there and not hidden in a sub navigation. 

Second you need to sort out the stalls (pages). I like the idea of the 'Go Booting' page being a list of stalls but I would suggest a carousel of the stalls products with auto play or bigger left and right arrows to show there's more and hide them if there are only 2 products as no scroll required, something like Slick would work. My biggest headache was once I realised I could scroll left and right I expected them all to scroll, but then some perfectly match to the edges so I can't tell if there are more products or less, really confusing. Also I would suggest a link to 'view stall' which would be a page of all items from the seller and any 'filters' applied on Go Booting should really grid the products and not separate still by stalls. By adding stall pages you could potentially generate social links etc made by the stall holders etc. Oh, and on a side note the term 'aisles' baffled me, is it instead of 'pages'?

Finally design wise please, please, please stop using the full width of the browser for the content and wrap the content with a max-width! It turns paragraphs into 24" wide sentences, a real pain to focus and read the content.

Cheers. Aw, I like the animation ;-) I was told it was good for seo. You think it would be better to have a few fewatured items for sale on there instead?

The principal behind animations being 'good for seo' is for deeper indexing of lower tier pages such as products or categories. That said it's no better than a humble link. The animation coverage on the home page is taking up prime real estate which would be much better served explaining what the site is for and for getting people straight into the buy, sell or register pages.

#21 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

Wow thanks guys.. a lot of good ideas here. I like the Slick thing with arrows either side rather than the scroll bar. Yes that menu annoys me on a desktop and I'm going to look at overlaying the prices/description. I have a sellers separate stall page when you click the sellers avatar but I need to make that more clearer and have all the items displayed on the screen at once. The max width thing I'm going to improve as the site was none responsive and I've only recently changed everything from pixels to % width. I'mm going to try and work through these as best to my ability but I'm not too clever just yet. I'm on it though :-) Thanks again for all your comments.

#22 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:31 PM

Managed to get prices over the thumbnails: https://onlinecarboo...go-booting.aspx

#23 onlinecarbooty

onlinecarbooty

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

Hi again guys.. I'm just learning as I say and my CSS skills are useless.. Does anyone know how to fix the pop up window when you click the SHARE ICON on a sellers stall? It's on this page: https://onlinecarboo...go-booting.aspx You need to be logged in though, you can use test12345@aol.com with Password: qwerty  The pop up share window should appear on the stall it is clicked from but it moves to top of screen. The Avatar also appears over the top of it. Probably something very simple. Any help is really appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: responsive, asp.net, visual basic, car boot sale, design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users