7 replies to this topic

#1 Niallmccabe

Niallmccabe

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

Hey i have always been interested in learning to develop and build my own forum could anyone here teach me the basics thanks

#2 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:01 AM

What are your abilities regarding web dev?  If you are starting from scratch a forum isn't the best starting point as it covers many distinct areas.

(HTML, CSS, JavaScript (async), Some backend language (REST + CRUD), Database, Authentication, Deployment.  

This is why I'd argue if you are a beginner building a forum from scratch isn't exactly a small undertaking.

#3 TimW

TimW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

You would only build a forum from scratch for fun I think. A number of teach-yourself php sites will walk you through building a simple forum step by step. I haven't got that far in php so i couldn't recommend or advise except to say - a bit of googling, choose a course and work your way through it.

#4 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

I should add you don't have to use PHP, you can use whatever backend language you are comfortable in.  I'd choose JavaScript for that reason.

I'd actually have no problems with building my own in Node as we already have good read-made packages for authentication amongst other things.

Out out the box solution make a lot of decisions ahead of time and you may or may not agree with them all.  It's definitely worth investigating if there's something suitable, however in some cases it is better to roll with your own.  We did exactly this in work (but not for a forum)

Edited by rbrtsmith, 19 June 2017 - 08:29 AM.

#5 Niallmccabe

Niallmccabe

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

thanks

You would only build a forum from scratch for fun I think. A number of teach-yourself php sites will walk you through building a simple forum step by step. I haven't got that far in php so i couldn't recommend or advise except to say - a bit of googling, choose a course and work your way through it.

thanks for the advice can you recommend any php sites

#6 Niallmccabe

Niallmccabe

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

I should add you don't have to use PHP, you can use whatever backend language you are comfortable in.  I'd choose JavaScript for that reason.

I'd actually have no problems with building my own in Node as we already have good read-made packages for authentication amongst other things.

Out out the box solution make a lot of decisions ahead of time and you may or may not agree with them all.  It's definitely worth investigating if there's something suitable, however in some cases it is better to roll with your own.  We did exactly this in work (but not for a forum)

what would be easier for beginners

#7 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

what would be easier for beginners

Like I've said building a forum from scratch isn't a beginner project - far from it.  You need to first learn in the areas i listed earlier in this thread.  Codeschool is a good starting point for all the topics.
If you just need a forum quick then use an off the shelf PHP package - but don't expect to learn much about web development doing that.

Edited by rbrtsmith, 19 June 2017 - 06:55 PM.

#8 Niallmccabe

Niallmccabe

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Like I've said building a forum from scratch isn't a beginner project - far from it.  You need to first learn in the areas i listed earlier in this thread.  Codeschool is a good starting point for all the topics.
If you just need a forum quick then use an off the shelf PHP package - but don't expect to learn much about web development doing that.

hi rbrtsmith have the basics from: https://www.codecade...n=lesson_resume what would be a good project starting?

Edited by Niallmccabe, 23 June 2017 - 07:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users