#1 alrockliffe

alrockliffe

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

Hi all

I have a couple of websites, one is a bit weird, the other one fairly standard. After over a year though, neither site is getting any traffic at all. This is not a commercial venture, so it doesn't 'really' matter, but I have put a lot of work into them.

Really looking to see if I have made some basic mistakes in setting up the websites, as opposed to critique of the actual content.

Here are the sites, would be really grateful if someone can spot any basic errors. Thanks.

www.makeseven.com

www.waitseven.com

#2 TimW

TimW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

Both of them Weebly sites. Could be just that, but I don't know for sure. Whatever it is it will likely be a weebly thing and not a general web design or seo issue.

Have you tried any free site-checkers, validators and seo advisors?

Your counter shows a few thousand hits. why do you think it has zero traffic?

Edited by TimW, 13 June 2017 - 08:47 PM.

#3 alrockliffe

alrockliffe

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

Both of them Weebly sites. Could be just that, but I don't know for sure. Whatever it is it will likely be a weebly thing and not a general web design or seo issue.

Have you tried any free site-checkers, validators and seo advisors?

Your counter shows a few thousand hits. why do you think it has zero traffic?

That is why I am confused. There seems to be a vast array of different traffic figures, plus I have never had any emails / feedback on the sites. Perversely, some of the stuff from my design site was placed on another site, and that got really positive responses!. 

#4 TimW

TimW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

You are right that tracking hits and visits is very difficult to do. Tracking your ranking on a google results page is easier and well worth doing, but not of course the same thing. 

I have only had a quick look at http://www.makeseven.com/ , and I am no SEO expert but a couple of observations: 

• Your site is image heavy and short on text. Google indexes words. If you don't want a lot of words on your pages you need to make the page titles, urls and alt texts really work for you. some pictures have alt="picture" which means they are effectively invisible to a googlebot, and they are the only content on the page.
  • The structure of urls and menu links is probably not ideal. The index links to pages which have no content but are only sub-menus of links to content pages.
  • The url structure doesn't reflect the menu structure, - not sure what the implications of that are, if any.
  • You might think about a share bar. addthis.com will give you some simple visitor stats too.

Well worth reading support.google.com for sound basic SEO advice.

Where are all our SEO experts?

TW

#5 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:29 AM

Ahoy!

Ok so taking a brief look through and TimW makes some very valid points; especially the 'short on text'. The plus point is Google knows about your site, site:http://www.makeseven.com/ says 19 pages so we know it's being indexed :D

I'd suggest starting to look at making use of breadcrumbs hierarchy and better use of the category pages as currently they are just a row of links. I don't think the URLs would be such a problem if there were breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs would help create a parent > child relationship which search engines understand, for example /mechanical.html would be Home > Mechanical and /motorcycle-stand.html would be Home > Mechanical > Motorcycle Stand which says it's part of the Mechanical collection.

To improve the category pages I would recommend a list (ordered by published date) each with a picture, title and brief overview which links to the article page. In addition a little introduction to each category wouldn't go amiss; for example what is upcycling? Adding this info would boost the content quantity at the same time as introducing naturally found related search terms for the section.

The general meta data and titles could do with some work. Take the motorcycle-stand.html, you should really only use 1 og:image and in addition the dimensions should be given, see https://developers.f...om/tools/debug/, and https://developers.facebook.com/docs/sharing/best-practices.

Overall you need to tailor those titles, meta descriptions etc. I'm not sure why you went for "Product Design Showcase" as the site name, MakeSeven.com would have been fine. So page titles would be say "Motorcycle Vertical Lift Stand - MakeSeven.com", then the meta description something like "My custom made motorcycle stand that vertically lifts the bike to allow free access to all parts of the machine enabling complete disassembly of the bike." or something to that avail.

The interesting part is that there is not a heading in sight! So search engines are assuming that "Product Design Showcase" is the heading for every page, this is a big problem but to fix is easy, for example...

<h1>Motorcycle Vertical Lift Stand</h1>

I could waffle on for hours but this should be enough to get on with ... hope it helps!

(Also on a side note I spy Technics 1210s, I like to take a spin on the old wheels of steel, what's your flavour?)

#6 alrockliffe

alrockliffe

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for that browserbugs, I will look into those amendments.

WRT the Technics - any analogue recordings...............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users