justint

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

Yes, this is right. I did a website at low cost for an Indian newspaper but all they went on about was how it wasn't what they wanted. i had to keep saying, "you have what you paid for" in the end they kept making me change stuff and not telling me what they really wanted. For the payment I got I did double the work. The thing just ran out of control. I promised myself after that not to do budget websites anymore for clients who want to pay peanuts.

Edited by justint, 14 June 2017 - 10:46 AM.

#42 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

I get what you're saying about delivering only £800 of a site, but realistically it's never going to match the clients expectation when you start cutting options out, and that can lead to more trouble when the client is unhappy with the finished product.

My second year trading I did a 'cut price' site to get work and my god, almost ended up in a legal battle. The problem came because I built a gallery and they 'expected' me to put all the images in, we're talking 1000s as they were an aviation photography company, problem was the spec didn't explicitly state they would or I would, simply that the gallery would consist of X, Y, Z controls. In the end I ended up paying a student £5ph to add them all ... just about broke even with me earning nothing.

#43 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

My second year trading I did a 'cut price' site to get work and my god, almost ended up in a legal battle. The problem came because I built a gallery and they 'expected' me to put all the images in, we're talking 1000s as they were an aviation photography company, problem was the spec didn't explicitly state they would or I would, simply that the gallery would consist of X, Y, Z controls. In the end I ended up paying a student £5ph to add them all ... just about broke even with me earning nothing.

It's very common, unfortunately. Clients often have an idea in their head of what they expect, and when you start cutting features out, it never aligns with what they pictured. Sometimes it's better to say you're required to pay this, otherwise I can't do what you want, rather than trying to cut parts out to fit within a budget.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users