dap

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

while since i bought a computer but my dad needs a new one so i'll be going with him to see what we can find (he's 87 so not playing much starcraft or war games ;) when i come back to England on holiday in june.

all he needs is something to skype on, browse the web and use picassa for simple photo edits and printing. Windows 10 is a prerequisite. onboard graphics are more than enough. a quick look at at supermarket or argos pcs seem to have ok prices but none seems to have ssds... a 250 gb drive would be more than enough to hold everything he has (around 60gb for his peronal files and programmes and what 40-60 for windows 10 or whatever it takes :) 

I'm wary of ordering on online incase there are problems after i return to Finland so would rather get something from a bricks and mortar place. the other option is a small place that custom builds but i have no idea in Mansfield, nottinghamshire where i would go so looking for the easiest option. any recommendations? budget would be £300-400 (or cheaper of course)- i suppose ssd is optional but it's so worth an upgrade compared to conventional (or rather 'old') drives :)

#2 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,424 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

You'll probably be lucky to get a 250gb SSD for your budget, they're not cheap enough yet.

I'd suggest going to somewhere like Currys (PC World), there is one in Mansfield, and see what you can get for your budget - they usually have a broad enough range.

#3 dap

dap

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

thanks. had a look at currys on line. spose the other option is to buy a cheapish 120gb ssd - which would be large enough for windows and programmes and then just keep the data on the normal hard drive- depends on the setup of a cheap box as far as cables and bays - and size of bays - go. had a quick look at currys online and they had some ok stuff. maybe we'll be better just sticking with conventional hard drive - seems only the more expensive 'proper' ones have ssds.

#4 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,424 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

Yes SSD hasn't quite hit the budget market! What you could do is see if they do a machine with 2 normal drives, 120gb each would do?), then you could use one as the primary drive for system and files, and the other as a primary backup.

#5 Grant Barker

Grant Barker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

May I ask the reason why he needs a new one? Problems with the old one? Can't be upgraded, etc.?

Are you interested in laptops? Do you have the time to build a PC? (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/)

Also, it's still possible to upgrade from 7 or 8 to 10 for free, if you think you might use or try assistive technologies one day in the future, even if you don't now. Just curious.

If he's 87 years old, I doubt if he will need or even care about an SSD if the PC or laptop is new. I would have expected it would be fast enough for him.

Edited by Grant Barker, 02 May 2017 - 06:29 AM.

#6 dap

dap

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

old one has become too unreliable and because i live in Finland now it's not very easy to help :) he mentioned getting a new one (the old one is quite old now) and seeig as l'll be coming over the pond in june he asked me to look into helping him get one.

doesn't like the small screen and fiddly buttons of a laptop. if i lived there i would maybe build it :)

i would have moved him onto linux a while ago but he's so attached to picassa and it only runs badly under wine and yes i know picassa isn't being developed anymore.

for he will use it for i think the hard drive will end up being the bottleneck - hence why i'm thinking of getting one with it in or buying a cheaper tower and install an ssd afterwards, simply cloning the existing drive.

#7 Grant Barker

Grant Barker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

You obviously know what you're doing, so you can just wait until you find a good bargain or deal.

It will be nice to get up and running with the new one. 

• dap likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users