Photo

What gear should I get for my first web server?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie A

Charlie A

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

Hi there, I'm looking to get my first website online, and I'm looking at different solutions. I feel that it's better to host the site from my own house as opposed to using a virtual server from somewhere else.

Hence, I'm looking at the hardware and indeed OS I need to setup a web server. Can web servers come premade or are the components always bought seperately? If so, what would you recommend for my requirements?

Potential for expandability
Initially low traffic (less than 100 visitors at one time)
ECC Memory Comparable
Not large amounts of storage
£650 budget

Much appreciated.

#2 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,441 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:01 PM

Before you consider hardware you'll need a suitable internet connection with static IP address and a good upload speed to serve your pages to visitors. Also, and more importantly, you'll need an ISP that allows you to connect your server to their network - many don't!

I'd recommend that you use a good web host :)

#3 Charlie A

Charlie A

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for this info. I get concerned on many of these sites that as I'm inexperienced I'll get ripped apart by people with significantly more knowledge than me.

By web host, does that mean the same thing as virtual server?

#4 dap

dap

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

i would be concerned about security if i was self-hosting.

#5 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,441 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for this info. I get concerned on many of these sites that as I'm inexperienced I'll get ripped apart by people with significantly more knowledge than me.

By web host, does that mean the same thing as virtual server?

You shouldn't get ripped off if you choose an established and trusted web host, all professional web developers rely on good web hosts and they're part and parcel of doing business. My advice would be to research and avoid the ones that advertise a lot - the ones that you see on the telly avoid like the plague :) The host I mainly use I've been with them for 12+ years now and they've been nothing but providing and excellent service.

Web host - yes you can buy hosting in several flavours:

"shared" hosting is normally suitable for most small/less busy sites, think personal or small business sites. With shared hosting you share part of a server and it's resources with other sites (they can't access your stuff and your account is totally self contained!).

"virtual server" hosting is where you have your own mini server, there may be 2 or 3 other accounts of the same physical machine but you are responsible for the OS, security, maintenance of your bit. Virtual servers are suited for moderately busy sites, or if you need to run resource intensive applications.

"dedicated server" is where you have one machine all to yourself and you have total control over everything

Virtual servers are generally more expensive than shared hosting, and dedicated servers are the most expensive to run.

#6 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts
  • Experience:Nothing

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:53 PM

Why (other than educational reasons going yourself) would you not want to host with a cloud provider such as AWS or Digital Ocean?

#7 Platnemzhost

Platnemzhost

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Coder

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:20 AM

my opinion never trust any web hosting providers start up your own server! Get the os get the server get the software you want and order the ip etc just make sure you get a good package from your isp and make it secure. Whatever it is your doing with your project good luck ;)

#8 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts
  • Experience:Nothing

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

my opinion never trust any web hosting providers start up your own server! Get the os get the server get the software you want and order the ip etc just make sure you get a good package from your isp and make it secure. Whatever it is your doing with your project good luck ;)

Why would you never trust providers? Many of the largest tech firms use cloud services like AWS / Digital ocean that can autoscale - it's rare that they run with their own servers.

What happens with your own server if you get a sudden surge in traffic?  Do you go out and have to buy another server and then remove it when traffic drops?  What about the amount of time you would have to spend configuring it?  These huge companies I talk of can save a fortune having using a service without having to employ a team of devops engineers and all the equipment costs (+ floor space etc they take up)

Of course I am talking about companies at scale here, but even for my own applications I'd still be better off using one of the above or a service like Heroku.

Edited by rbrtsmith, 22 May 2017 - 01:41 PM.

#9 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:13 PM

Sorry, but this is so ridiculous, you will never get the speed, security, and reliability that a decent datacenter has, they don't just plug a box into the wall and install Linux. If you want total control of your server then buy a VPS or dedicated server, but don't host your own from home. Even some of the biggest internet companies choose something like AWS, both Dropbox and Netflix use AWS for everything. Especially nowadays, there's not really a compelling reason to host anything yourself.

Take a look at this article about what good web host will actually provide, and compare it to what you could offer at best. It's not worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users