Photo

Beta testers needed for a new application (passwords and configurations management)

passwords configurations beta clients

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nacho Bracho

Nacho Bracho

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

Hello:

We need beta testers from different countries, with diverse profiles and diverse working methods to try and test our application, [ admin-admin ] in real environments.

• If you are a freelance concerned about the management of your clients passwords and configurations…
  • If you want to get rid of all those text files and spreadsheets…
  • If you hate when your clients call YOU again asking for THEIR passwords, or THEIR email configuration…, but you spend time preparing a nice formatted email  for them because you are a caring professional…

…please visit us at http://www.admin-admin.com and take a look at the snack preview video of [ admin-admin ] to see if it rings a bell with you.

If you are interested in a serious Beta Testing Program, please apply.

Thank you in advance:

Nacho Bracho

#2 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

I don't want to rain on your parade but what does 'admin-admin' do that 1password doesn't?

#3 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,079 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

I can already do all of this with Dashlane, but on a side note, how can I trust a security app that doesn't even use https.

#4 Nacho Bracho

Nacho Bracho

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hello:

We are 1Password users too, and we will keep it in the toolbox, of course.

But beyond passwords, there are configurations, domain management (registry, dos records, subdomains), preferences for online services, users with different roles and urls, email servers, email accounts, etc.

You can store everything  as simple text, but [ admin-admin ] "knows" the nature of the data.

For example, a domain is a domain. A subdomain belongs to a domain. A mail server uses a subdomain from a domain owned by a client, or from a mail provider. And it operates using a port and a security configuration. The mail server has multiple email accounts with different users and passwords.

Complexity grows when you have dozens of clients with lots of domains and services managed by you on their behalf.

[ admin-admin ] knows where everything belongs, and everything is checked, so no typos are possible.

Also, when your client calls you asking for the mail configuration for a new phone, or when you need to send the ftp and configuration data for a website to a new designer, you can send it in a snap, using a nice formatted email.

Also, data is stored locally. [ admin-admin ] is local, no cloud involved. Not a tool for everyone, but many people do not trust online services for storing client passwords.

Regards:

Nacho Bracho

#5 Nacho Bracho

Nacho Bracho

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

I can already do all of this with Dashlane, but on a side note, how can I trust a security app that doesn't even use https.

Hello, Jack:

The current website is a quick and dirty site built for the beta program.

The app is a desktop application. Passwords are AES 256 encrypted, but locally.

Regards:

Nacho Bracho

#6 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

I managed about a minute of the video (I prefer to see screenshots and login to a demo) and gave up. Everything I saw just appeared to be the stuff I can do in cpanel/plesk so what's the benefit?

#7 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts
  • Experience:Nothing

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

The need for multiple passwords is now starting to diminish with passwordless services using oAuth.  oAuth is becoming the standard for modern application development, I certainly would not build an application now without it.  As this trend continues we will become less dependant on passwords, but for now I use LastPass, I have no reason to switch to anything else at this stage.

Given the above password management seems to be an odd choice of market to be getting into...

#8 Nacho Bracho

Nacho Bracho

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:28 PM

I managed about a minute of the video (I prefer to see screenshots and login to a demo) and gave up. Everything I saw just appeared to be the stuff I can do in cpanel/plesk so what's the benefit?

Hi:

Plesk, CPanel, Webmin are used to actually manage a server. Specifically ONE server, so you can't store data not related to that server.

If all your online business is built around one server, it's fine. Nothing more is needed as long as you maintain the passwords in another place, because in such control panels, all the passwords are encrypted.

Life gets more complicated when clients are in different servers; when your work includes managing services hosted in different providers (from MailChimp to Instagram or Shopify); when you need to work with a server not managed by you; when you have to setup 40 email accounts and create a document with logins and configurations; or you are migrating something from one provider to another, or in the worst scenario, you are loosing a client and you must deliver all the current information to another developer.

The underlying idea of [ admin-admin ] is having everything stored in a NEUTRAL place ,as pure data, not coloured by Plesk, Google, or AWS style.

Regards:

Nacho Bracho

#9 Nacho Bracho

Nacho Bracho

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

The need for multiple passwords is now starting to diminish with passwordless services using oAuth.  oAuth is becoming the standard for modern application development, I certainly would not build an application now without it.  As this trend continues we will become less dependant on passwords, but for now I use LastPass, I have no reason to switch to anything else at this stage.

Given the above password management seems to be an odd choice of market to be getting into...

Great statement!

Passwords are a no way in the near future. But beyond passwords, [ admiin-admin ] is a repository for many other pieces of crucial information that will remain.

Nevertheless, we are just looking for betatesters!  :-)

We have not yet a marketing plan, so it's easy to think about the application as "another" password manager. We'll explain it better in the future, when it is released. it's in the to-do list.  :-)

Thank you!

Nacho Bracho

#10 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:40 PM

I'm confused.

If I have to set up an account for a client I login to their server, set everything up (takes about 15 minutes to do everything) and log back out. If I need to upload to the server I use SVN or FTP.I use autofill to stay logged in if necessary. Once the project is over I rarely need to access anything again unless it all goes pete tong. It's really not that complicated.

Or are you saying I can do file uploads and manage the accounts from within your application?

#11 Nacho Bracho

Nacho Bracho

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

I'm confused.

If I have to set up an account for a client I login to their server, set everything up (takes about 15 minutes to do everything) and log back out. If I need to upload to the server I use SVN or FTP.I use autofill to stay logged in if necessary. Once the project is over I rarely need to access anything again unless it all goes pete tong. It's really not that complicated.

Hi:

It seems that you have a straight workflow, your projects start and end, with little returns, so [ admin-admin ] is not a fit for you. With a standard password manager you can have it all. That's why we are looking for betatesters with diverse needs.  

Regards:

Nacho Bracho 

#12 webdesigner93

webdesigner93

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • Experience:Web Guru

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

Um not to be mean but this service looks pretty useless to me. And is nothing I would ever consider using but good luck anyways

#13 5nake

5nake

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:12 PM

It looks quite good but I don't even know for what people would use it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users