Photo

Does a Freelancer REALLY need a website?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 robbydesigns

robbydesigns

Designer

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:32 AM

I've been thinking lately of scrapping my website.

Most of my business comes from a few Dev's who come to me; I've spent years promoting my site, released loads of freebies etc yet there are few hits to my site other than losers trying to hack it. 

I'm thinking of maybe just scrapping it in favour of focusing more on freelancing websites/spending more time on Dribbble where there may be some work available.

What do you think?

#2 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

If you are purely a designer then a website might not be so useful, the developers you are designing for won't care too much about your website or the code behind it. It can however help with general marketing and make things look a little more professional.

If you do a website then use a static generator which will take your markdown files + your templates and compile them.  This can then be served for free on Github pages and you then just pay for your domain name and point it to GH pages.  This is how my blog is served and because there's no database or anything like that you have zero security concerns to care about.

I'd tend to stay away from the freelancing sites unless you fall on desperate times and focus more on building relationships with local agencies, developers and so on.  Or even try and get a permanent role in the industry as a designer?

The freelancer sites pay virtually nothing and you will get those kinds of clients that don't value your work and just want the cheapest price.

Edited by rbrtsmith, 27 March 2017 - 07:24 AM.

#3 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

I'd find it quite strange if a designer didn't have some kind of web-presence. I'd think that your website doesn't need to be a mega maintenance headache and that a nice design and occasional update is probably enough.

At least that's the tactic I take as a developer. Some work has come via my website but most of it is word of mouth.

#4 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

I'd find it quite strange if a designer didn't have some kind of web-presence.

I'd have to agree here. I wouldn't expect much, just an intro and contact point to let them know they're in the right place plus a few examples of what you produce. Word of mouth often leads to your website, well it does in my case. Normally I get a mail through the site with something like "I got your name from 'Client' who said you might be able to help me with X". Just my 2 pence as always :D 

#5 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Experience:Advanced

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

Quite a few designers use other services to handle this like SquareSpace and semplicelabs.com. My cousin has her portfolio on Squarespace and she has used it to get jobs at Conde Nast and Vice.

#6 designgem

designgem

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

My other half is a developer and after 6 years still doesn't have a live website.

He's really busy with work, prefers to work on other people's projects so he can code as much as possible (instead of dealing with writing content, editing images, design work, SEO etc.), and a lot of agencies he works for don't allow him to mention their clients or show code examples anyway.

Hopefully this year he'll finally get a website up, but it's strangely not been necessary. Word of mouth and contracting has been enough.

#7 ssraj

ssraj

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

Yes, to showcase portfolio and other basic information about your expertise.

#8 hynds

hynds

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

I think in some case you will need a website to store your portfolios, show your experiences, skills and you can also use to promote your personal brand in the future too.

#9 gabrielchl

gabrielchl

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

I think yes they need a website since it can be something like a CV but in a more interactive format. It can let your client to know about what you can do.

#10 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Web Guru

• Gold Membership
  • 1,362 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

A designer needs a portfolio, a website of your own is one way to have a portfolio but there are many different options which would make it not essential to have a website.

#11 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

A designer needs a portfolio, a website of your own is one way to have a portfolio but there are many different options which would make it not essential to have a website.

Agreed, a designer can have a portfolio on Dribble for example.  If I were to work with a designer / UX professional I wouldn't be bothered whether or not they had a website, I don't care if they can code.  I do care about their ability to design and collaborate with a developer.

Edited by rbrtsmith, 13 April 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#12 BTSoftvn

BTSoftvn

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

i have worked for only 6 months but i got my website up 1 month ago. Still working on it :)

#13 Kim Kiav

Kim Kiav

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Area of Expertise:SEO

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

A website is crucial in any business. Be it a freelancer or an established company. After all you are looking for clients and most are found on the internet.

#14 Phil777

Phil777

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

I think it is necessary, because clients need to see your projects somehow.

#15 noah2017

noah2017

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:33 AM

I think it's necessary since it's a place that you can show your results and projects

#16 JaneReyA

JaneReyA

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:20 AM

It's an overall criteria for you to get more jobs.

#17 bigcarter

bigcarter

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

I dont think so....that is an advantage but i know a lot of people that work through marketing agencies as an addon to a big bundle of services, plus working on upwork and such websites, its all about the amount of work you can get, if you can do without a website then it doesnt matter 

#18 robbydesigns

robbydesigns

Designer

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

Agreed, a designer can have a portfolio on Dribble for example.  If I were to work with a designer / UX professional I wouldn't be bothered whether or not they had a website, I don't care if they can code.  I do care about their ability to design and collaborate with a developer.

The thing with just having a site on Dribbble though is if you don't have a lot of followers it would make you look like nobody likes your work. Insiders know that on Dribbble, Twitter, etc it's more followers for people who do conventions but sadly clients will just judge by amount of followers.

#19 DonkeyWorx

DonkeyWorx

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

I'd say the more ways a customer can find you the better so unless there's a good reason to ditch the website I'd keep it going if only simple and only occasionally updated.

I also find it a bit "suspicious" when designers on behance, twitter etc don't have a website - makes them seem a bit temporary and I can't check out the person/company behind the profile by doing a whois search.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users