13 replies to this topic

#1 predatorx

predatorx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

I really want to learn es6, but don't really know much javascript. Is it best to learn javascipt, then es6 or can I just try to learn es6?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for good books/courses on es6 for beginners?

Thanks

#2 Lyndsey

Lyndsey

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

es6 is JavaScript. It's an update to the language. Personally, I'd start learning the fundamentals of JavaScript:

• Types / Primitives
  • Conditionals
  • Loops
  • Arrays (in particular array methods such as forEach, map, filter, reduce, every. Mozilla Developer Network is a great resource)
  • Functions
  • Scope
  • etc

You can learn all of the above using resources such as Treehouse, Codeschool, Codecademy, FreeCodeCamp, plus many others. 

You'll also find some of these links useful:

Edited by Lyndsey, 20 March 2017 - 08:18 AM.

#3 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts
  • Experience:Nothing

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

there's differing opinions on this, but If I were teaching a newcomer to JavaScript I would be using ES6 right from the beginning.  It is an update to the language so like learning any new language start from the basics.

Unfortunately a lot of the ES6 courses assume a level of experience with JavaScript so that makes following my suggestion quite difficult for somebody in your position so I would actually recommend here you learn ES5 first and then come and use one of the ES6 courses. Wes Bos has some good courses so https://es6.io/ is well worth checking out.

Feel free to post any questions you might have in the general JavaScript topic regarding ES6 and we'll be happy to explain!

#4 Lyndsey

Lyndsey

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

Unfortunately a lot of the ES6 courses assume a level of experience with JavaScript so that makes following my suggestion quite difficult for somebody in your position so I would actually recommend here you learn ES5 first and then come and use one of the ES6 courses.

This is true and it is the reason I'd learn the fundamentals first, in particular es5's Array methods which are used heavily. I'd also learn functions, scope and how callbacks work before attempting es6.io. 

#5 predatorx

predatorx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for your replies. I had a look at the course from Wes Bos, but he says it's not really for beginners.

Can you recommend any good courses for beginners? I will try Code Academy.

#6 Lyndsey

Lyndsey

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

FreeCodeCamp is good, and it's free. You'll find lots of content there :)

#7 predatorx

predatorx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

Thanks. I'll check that out too.

#8 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

This is true and it is the reason I'd learn the fundamentals first, in particular es5's Array methods which are used heavily. I'd also learn functions, scope and how callbacks work before attempting es6.io. 

Yeah, but for example if I was personally teaching and mentoring somebody who had no exposure to JavaScript I would teach them with ES6 first.  It's just that there's not many good courses out there at the moment that teach people this way.   is a good talk discussing this very topic.

#9 Lyndsey

Lyndsey

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

I'll check that out!

#10 predatorx

predatorx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for this. I have been looking for a beginner's guide to es6, but couldn't find anything. That's why I reached out to people on here. I figured it would be best to learn es6 as it will help in the future.

#11 Lyndsey

Lyndsey

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

You may want to check out the 'Let's Learn ES6' video series. I have the book version, too, which you can find here.

#12 predatorx

predatorx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

Thanks. I did have a brief look at that course before posting here. I didn't know it was also in print format. Thanks once again.

#13 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for this. I have been looking for a beginner's guide to es6, but couldn't find anything. That's why I reached out to people on here. I figured it would be best to learn es6 as it will help in the future.

You're right learning ES6 will help for the future, and even now many JavaScript job postings require experience with it.

Bear in mind that ES5 is still valid ES6, it's just additions to the language so don't feel that you need to know all of ES6 to use it in projects. I've been using ES6 for around 18 months now but only recently learnt about generator functions as I had no use for them until now.

Also worth bearing in mind that we already have ES7 (ES2016) and ES8 will be next.  I just like to put them all under the term ESNext as the language will have updates on a yearly basis.  Babel which transpiles this code into ES5 also supports those features that are in one of 4 draft stages depending on how you set it up.  Although I would generally recommend against using experimental proposals / drafts in production code.

I would recommend you start with `const` and `let` statements then go onto arrow functions, object/array destructuring and just gradually introduce things as you learn them.

Edited by rbrtsmith, 20 March 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#14 predatorx

predatorx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for all your help. You have both been very informative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users