TimW

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

I am nursing an idea for a little extra income. It is to do with supplying ready-made sites for simple 'web presence' purposes. So if you are a plumber or you have a barbers shop you can get from me at fairly low cost a complete template site with a back end control panel and you just go through it filling in the boxes for Business Name and 'about me' text and uploading a couple of photos. 

The problem I am anticipating is with deployment. I don't sell domains although I can provide hosting. If my plumbers go to 123 and buy a domain and hosting they aren't going to get far with my zip file and some instructions to get hold of an ftp program and configure it and set their nameservers. Really I would need to be able to put the files on the web server for them, or set their nameservers to point to my hosting account.

Other than asking them to just forward emails to me and give me their passwords how could I handle this? I need a service whereby once they have paid I can give them a link to automatically place the files on their 123 or go daddy space. Does that exist?

TW

#2 nublue

nublue

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

If I understand the concept, you are looking for a service that pushes a templated website to a new hosting package so it's ready for your client to just fill in the content? Interesting concept but I'm not aware that service exists, not even to push a base install of Wordpress onto a new hosting platform without some credentials. If you are going to let them use their own hosting, you'll need their logins.

Why not provide a bundled service with the hosting as well as the template? That would make it easier for you to manage in the future and an opportunity to upsell maintenance packages.

#3 TimW

TimW

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Nothing

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

You are right of course. Clarity of thought is elusive sometimes I find.  

If my tradesperson goes to 1&1 or godaddy and buys a domain first and gets a hosting package while they are there and they set up their email they are going to have to give me access or upload my site for themselves. They can do it themselves with filezilla or I think with cpanel - is that so?. Other than that are there any options? could they get the files off github or somewhere without downloading them first?

'scuse my ignorance about these things. I just use filezilla normally

Edited by TimW, 20 March 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#4 nublue

nublue

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

It all takes some configuration on the hosting to set the wheels in motion, however you deploy the site, and the more hosts are used, the more hassle for you. If the site consists of files only (no DB), I'd stick to getting the credentials and using filezilla to do it for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users