#1 jarrodnoonan

jarrodnoonan

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

Hi all,

It's a subject that I'm really interested in learning about. I have been working for my clients since I was 14 and I have charged around £12 per hour ($15). It has really come to light that this is a low price compared to other web developers. 

My question to all of you is, how much do you charge per hour?

#2 D4Y0

D4Y0

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:07 PM

That does seam low, i would expect around that if you were employed in a web development role (junior-mid level). I don't freelance and when i do its always for friends/family so i just charge expenses.

Edited by D4Y0, 10 February 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#3 jarrodnoonan

jarrodnoonan

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

That does seam low, i would expect around that if you were employed in a web development role (junior-mid level). I don't freelance and when i do its always for friends/family so i just charge expenses.

Yeah, according to what I can find on the internet, it is way below the standard of a web developer's normal pricing scheme. That is why I am so interested in comparing my research to what people actually earn! :)

#4 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:56 PM

You probably won't get many people divulging their exact rates but as a guide good freelancers might charge in the region of £30-60/hour, really good ones more than that. Small agencies might be charging from round £80/hour upwards, and larger agencies £100+/per hour upwards.

It's also worth bearing in mind that some have different rates depending on the client an the particular job, for instance:

• Different rates for private clients (£), small businesses (££), and large businesses (£££)
  • Sometimes rates for general maintenance can be lower per hour, especially if you do annual maintenance contracts

When I started out many years ago in 1998 my rates were comparitively low, but what I did was make small increases in rates for each job till it grew to a more reasonable, sustainable level.

#5 jarrodnoonan

jarrodnoonan

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:16 PM

You probably won't get many people divulging their exact rates but as a guide good freelancers might charge in the region of £30-60/hour, really good ones more than that. Small agencies might be charging from round £80/hour upwards, and larger agencies £100+/per hour upwards.

It's also worth bearing in mind that some have different rates depending on the client an the particular job, for instance:

• Different rates for private clients (£), small businesses (££), and large businesses (£££)
  • Sometimes rates for general maintenance can be lower per hour, especially if you do annual maintenance contracts

When I started out many years ago in 1998 my rates were comparitively low, but what I did was make small increases in rates for each job till it grew to a more reasonable, sustainable level.

Thank you for that. I think that I need to understand more about quoting my clients for a price that is fairer on my behalf too. Do you think that it would be worth having some kind of mentor to help with this?

#6 designgem

designgem

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

The average here is £25-35 for freelancers, £100+ for agency contractors. It will vary depending on living costs where you are :)

#7 johnjpete

johnjpete

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:17 PM

I charge around 15 to 20 USD an hour for seo and web design services

#8 alexmv

alexmv

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

We charge $24 per hour for big projects and ongoing work. For small projects, we offer a flat rate.

#9 Martin Scurry

Martin Scurry

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

if your speed is really high for providing task then it is really low charge.

#10 OscarX

OscarX

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:29 PM

15 dollars!

#11 HostAG

HostAG

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:03 PM

30 USD per hour for maintenance and ongoing work. When starting a new project it is better to offer a package of a number of hours in which you will do that amount of work that usually rounds up at a lower amount but gets the project going. If you ask top rate from the beginning you might have the customers walk out on you.

#12 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,795 posts
  • Experience:Nothing

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

What to charge depends on many factors, what the market rate is, and where your skillset falls within the market - how rare is it, how much value does it give.  developers with in-demand and difficult to acquire skillsets can charge many times more than less skilled developers or those skilled in saturated markets.

A very highly skilled JavaScript developer for example can charge upto and over £100 an hour.  I'd say in the US you'd be talking $150-200 per hour.  This is due to a huge rise in JavaScript being used across the stack with frameworks like React, Redux automated testing being in use.  A developer strong in these things is in huge demand by projects that require complex systems to be built.

Edited by rbrtsmith, 19 February 2017 - 09:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users