designgem

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:32 AM

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop and was sold on the new MacBook Pro (my current one is an old MBP), but I ended up in Currys the other day and was surprised to see how nice the new Macbooks look. They're so thin and light, but I really don't think I can justify £1.5k on a computer that can't run Photoshop.

I've done a bit of googling and the specs seem to be okay, but in real-world use I'm wondering how it actually performs for anything other than light browsing.

On the other hand, the MBP I've spec'd up is almost £3k. While I expect it to last at least as long as my current laptop (6 years), it seems like a lot of money.

What do you think? Macbook, MacBook Pro, or something else entirely?

Edited by designgem, 27 January 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#2 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Web Guru

• Gold Membership
  • 1,362 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:44 AM

Of course they can, just check out the software specs if you are ever unsure

macOS
Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support*
macOS 10.12, 10.11, or 10.10 **
2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
1024 x 768 display
1 GB of Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.
2 GB of available hard-disk space (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
DVD-ROM drive required if purchasing Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® retail boxed version
OpenGL 3.3capable video adapter for GPU-related functionality
Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.

#3 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

It will run Photoshop fine, my fully spec Macbook Air runs it no problem and it's a similar spec.

I'd recommend reading up on reviews from other developers and designers on the new model, I can't say I've seen anything positive and the price is a lot for pretty average hardware. Apple has really dropped the ball on this one. Not to mention the adapters you will need to buy to plug in basic USB devices, it's a mess.

If you're looking for a Mac, the previous Macbook Pro model with the retina screen is cheaper with better spec and battery life.

#4 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:54 AM

If you can wait till the next MBP update you may get better value for money. Typically new MBP models with major changes get enhancements and often small price drops. There's also a pretty rumour that the next update could feature the Kaby Lake 7th gen processors, that would make sense of course and a logical next step.

#5 designgem

designgem

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

Hmm, I think I will wait based on your replies (thanks guys).

I wasn't impressed by the fact that they actually increased the price of the late 2015 models when they introduced the 2016 ones, but maybe that was just Brexit related.

#6 GarryT

GarryT

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

Easy

#7 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

It will run Photoshop fine, my fully spec Macbook Air runs it no problem and it's a similar spec.

I'd recommend reading up on reviews from other developers and designers on the new model, I can't say I've seen anything positive and the price is a lot for pretty average hardware. Apple has really dropped the ball on this one. Not to mention the adapters you will need to buy to plug in basic USB devices, it's a mess.

If you're looking for a Mac, the previous Macbook Pro model with the retina screen is cheaper with better spec and battery life.

Only just saw your comment here. My Macbook Pro (2013 model) is a work machine. If and when I buy another personal laptop though, it won't be a Mac. I've been using them for years and had no intention of moving back to PC, but the new Macbook "pro" is a joke. They've removed some of the most useful ports, gone with a processor that was out of date on arrival, and added a stupid touchbar feature that makes the thing look more like a toy. 

If and when I get a new machine, currently I'd be looking at a top spec Dell XPS 15. You can get them preinstalled with Linux, so I'd probably try that, or at least dual boot with Windows. I'm not sticking by Apple for religious reasons - they've released a machine that I consider an insult to pro users, so I'd respond accordingly.

Edited by citypaul, 08 March 2017 - 09:04 PM.

#8 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

Only just saw your comment here. My Macbook Pro (2013 model) is a work machine. If and when I buy another personal laptop though, it won't be a Mac. I've been using them for years and had no intention of moving back to PC, but the new Macbook "pro" is a joke. They've removed some of the most useful ports, gone with a processor that was out of date on arrival, and added a stupid touchbar feature that makes the thing look more like a toy. 

If and when I get a new machine, currently I'd be looking at a top spec Dell XPS 15. You can get them preinstalled with Linux, so I'd probably try that, or at least dual boot with Windows. I'm not sticking by Apple for religious reasons - they've released a machine that I consider an insult to pro users, so I'd respond accordingly.

I've thought about how I would move to Linux and I don't know if it's possible. We use a lot of Mac only software at work, and it's not like I can easily install a Mac VM because it rarely works. I'd love to use something like Elementary or Ubuntu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users