5 replies to this topic

#1 kenw232

kenw232

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

I have the odd small and annoying programming job to fix stupid things involving PHP, wordpress, jquery, etc. and looking to add people to my skype to chat with when I need something done.  if anyone cares please email me at kenw232@yahoo.com.

none of it is big dollars. just small bugs.

#2 VasanthVasa

VasanthVasa

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:32 AM

Hello Ken,
Kindly add me on skype lets discuss

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

#3 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:58 AM

Don't expect to find any (even half) decent devs if you're not willing to pay the market rate, which by the tone of the post you are not.  You will likely just end up with even more technical debt than you already have.

Edited by rbrtsmith, 11 January 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#4 rallport

rallport

Laravel 5 Rocks

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts
  • Experience:Web Guru

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

I have the odd small and annoying programming job to fix stupid things involving PHP, wordpress, jquery, etc. and looking to add people to my skype to chat with when I need something done.  if anyone cares please email me at kenw232@yahoo.com.

none of it is big dollars. just small bugs.

It's not about how the "bugs" are. You need to appreciate the fact you're paying for time. Developers that value their time i.e. charge the market rate, are usually good at what they do. I've only ever seen bad things of developers charging low amounts. /rant

#5 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

It's not about how the "bugs" are. You need to appreciate the fact you're paying for time. Developers that value their time i.e. charge the market rate, are usually good at what they do. I've only ever seen bad things of developers charging low amounts. /rant

This^^ What can appear to be a small bug on the surface can quite easily require a huge and lengthy refactor, especially if there's no automated testing involved, which by the looks of things there isn't.  So when we fix the said bug we don't have a reliable way of determining that our changes aren't breaking something elsewhere.  Especially in a typical spaghetti mess of WordPress.

#6 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

This^^ What can appear to be a small bug on the surface can quite easily require a huge and lengthy refactor, especially if there's no automated testing involved, which by the looks of things there isn't.  So when we fix the said bug we don't have a reliable way of determining that our changes aren't breaking something elsewhere.  Especially in a typical spaghetti mess of WordPress.

Lack of automated testing is still generally the norm in the industry. I suspect it always will be overall, because it takes time to learn how to do it and get value from it, and businesses that build WordPress style sites generally chose WordPress in the first place just to hack something together quickly in order to maximise profits. And we all know how that ends when the project gets to anything close to complexity...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users