Timothy Clark

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:14 PM

Hi. I've been working some more on my site and just wondered what people think. I haven't uploaded stuff to the about page yet, as I've just changed hosting services, but you can view my shop and work pages, along with a lot of the work. However, there's still a lot of empty pages in my portfolio so bear with me. Cheers!

http://www.timothy-clark.com

#2 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:40 PM

Homepage says: "SHOP View our range of unique products".  But I have no idea what it is you sell. Bespoke drain covers? Gold plated head lice?

Who is Timothy Clark? Does anyone care (apart from you and your mum). Separate the shop from the personal part of the site. A lot of links are broken: http://www.timothy-c...sman/taichi.php.

Don't hide the navigation - the hamburger menu is still one of the worst options. If you feel you really can't live without it atleast add a 'menu' caption.

What is the Y icon on the top left? It looks very random.

What is the point of this page: http://www.timothy-c...com/contact.php. If you want people to get in touch put your contact details on every page.

I looked at the shop and the title is HUUUUGE! It needs to be a tad smaller. I clicked on a product I liked and was taken off site to society6.com. That's not what I was expecting. If you say you have a shop them put the shop on the site. There is no way back to your site from society6.com.

The site is broken in all sorts of ways on a phone.

#3 Grant Barker

Grant Barker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

Hi Timothy.

I like the overall design, simplistic navigation, and strong presence. I think it's pretty cool visually.

I know you will have a lot of content, but it would be cool if the portfolio sections scrolled when you clicked the numbers on the left. 

I wasn't too sure that the V Stand was your logo. It does such a good job of making me want to press it, as opposed to communicating anything else, that I thought it was another nav button as it looks similarly placed to the main nav button on the right.

Maybe you are like me and you hope your audience is curious enough to stick around and find out the facts for themselves (seek and ye shall find).

But, I too wasn't initially sure what your site was about. Shop for what? What kind of work? And what's the company name? These questions annoy me when I was and am told to consider these things in my own site. I felt that if people are too quick to leave, then screw them. But, I suppose it depends on whether we are trying to get punters, or not, or if we expect visitors to already know what our site should be about. So the sooner we communicate it, the more chance they will stay a while and not quit I guess.

Hope this helps. I like it basically. Hope that's real enough for you. Peace.

#4 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:23 PM

I like the overall design, simplistic navigation, and strong presence. I think it's pretty cool visually.

I thought it looked great as well. But this feeling lasted for a nanosecond as my next thoughts were: what am I looking at? What is the site all about? Why is everything so big.

And if you look at the site on a phone (as I just have again) it all looks wrong. The nose is chopped off the statue and the words cover his face. And when you scroll down the words are all squashed up on the right. And the footer columns don't align.

#5 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Web Guru

• Gold Membership
  • 1,350 posts
  • Experience:Advanced

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:21 PM

Looks like you have put a lot of effort into it, I enjoyed looking around, I like the style... but it is also very confusing, if I were to list everything I would be here all day, but for example

portfolio - I have no idea what those numbers are, or what they are for, I clicked on one to see, and I see they link to different pages, yet there is no information as to what pages I would be taken to.

sales - well, at least I understood the purpose of the page, I know you are selling stuff

about - your logo stays center page through the whole scroll, very annoying if you are trying to read the content and what those large images staggered for text are for, I have no idea, they just seem to be randomly placed at the end of the page with no purpose. Post-nominals? Huh? Trying to be smart there is making you look like an ass.

contact - erm.. Ok

You are missing Any call to action, you are missing hierarchy and structure in much of the site.. for such a small site, I got confused and lost very quickly.

#6 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Web Guru

• Gold Membership
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

double post..

#7 Timothy Clark

Timothy Clark

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, both positive and constructive. I know I have to work a lot on making the site mobile friendly and was wondering if you could help me achieve this. I'm going to work on the homepage and make it more clear as to what the site is about. I personally feel that the numbered buttons on the left of the portfolio are a nice navigation system. I feel users can explore each field easily when they're looking at any of the pages. I didn't realise the logo on the about page was above the content, it's not supposed to be and it isn't on my mac using Safari. I'm looking into the z-index issues for that.

Thanks again.

#8 fisicx

fisicx

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

The numbers are meaningless without context. I have no idea what #2 represents and I'm not that interested in finding out.

The fundamental problem is the lack of purpose and direction. You need to divide if the prime focus is you or your products for sale. And if it is the latter, you need to sell them on the site.

#9 James Winfield

James Winfield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:45 AM

Not as important as the issues mentioned above but there is no favicon.

#10 Timothy Clark

Timothy Clark

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

Is this homepage any better?

http://www.timothy-clark.com

I need to sort out the responsiveness for mobile but on a larger screen it works imo.

#11 Grant Barker

Grant Barker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

I think it has a lot of promise. More so I think you should make YouTube videos.

Because 'if you are for real', then your personality and message are bigger than HTML and static images, in my opinion.

If you are mostly about selling your physical creations, then of course the site is a good medium for that.

(I like the T-shirts.)

Just simple titles (tooltips) so that we know where we are going when we hover over stuff would help.

I realize that if people don't have the character to seek, they don't deserve to find, but this is the internet, and people enjoy being led and enticed and it serves as a way to help to educate, stimulate, entertain or close a sale (if that's one's aim).

The example of Hovering over 'A man can do all things if he will' doesn't tell us anything about why to click. I know we want humans to be adventurous, but if they don't expect a portfolio they may be disappointed (for their own reasons). If a simple tooltip tells them 'Portfolio' they will know what to expect and go with the flow. Make it easier and make them feel more intelligent (by feeding them hints).

Do you make YouTube videos? I think you should in my opinion.

Thinking outside the box works wonders on YouTube.

#12 jaydenwhite

jaydenwhite

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:59 AM

Your website looks good on wide screens but not good on mobile and iPad. You have to make your website responsive. There is an issue, when I clicked on menu button on top-right side the menu open well but not closed when I clicked on same button. I have to click on "Close Menu" word to close it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users