Photo

Cloudflare - what advantages/disadvantages?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ve3oat

ve3oat

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

Moderator - please move this posting as you see fit.  Not sure I have chosen the right place.  Thanks. 

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Cloudflare?

They say they can speed up delivery of your content.  That might be nice, but from my own point of view my website uses no scripts at all and I am happy to be able to do that (less vulnerability for my visitors).  Using Cloudflare would of course require allowing their scipt(s) to run. 

Are there any other considerations?  Thanks for your opinions and guidance here. 

... Martin

#2 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,013 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

JavaScript done properly is of no security concern to your visitors.  A good proportion of the worlds largest websites and web-apps are largely or almost entirely built in JavaScript.

Cloudflare are a huge CDN used by many huge corporations again their security should be pretty water-tight.

Edited by rbrtsmith, 22 July 2016 - 06:50 PM.

#3 ve3oat

ve3oat

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:00 AM

Hi, Web Guru, thanks for your comments.  I am sure you are right about the security of Java scripts used by large corporations.  My site, on the ohter hand, is small (I am a nobody) and I have intentionally avoided scripts so that my visitors (who don't know me) will feel more safe. 

I see that among CloudFlare's other services, they reserve the right to install cookies on visitors' computers to track them.  Lots of big companies do this, of course.  Being small on the other hand, I have also avoided using cookies, in order to reassure my visitors of my lack of any hostile intent.  "No scripts, no cookies, hey, this site must be safe" sort of thing. 

I guess I need to know how most privacy- and security-conscious visitors feel about scripts and cookies from CloudFlare.  What do you think of it? 

... Martin

#4 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:01 AM

As well as a CDN, CloudFlare offers DDOS protection, mitigation, firewalls, as well as threat detection. The threat detection is good, even on the free plan. We use it on every site at work, mainly to manage DNS. When you login, you can see all of the blocks IP's it has caught from known malicious users and you can increase the threat level if your site starts getting attacked. You will only get a lot of the DDOS benefits on the business plan and higher, but I've found the free one to have a lot of good features anyway.

The cookies are set for security reasons. There's more about how it works here.

#5 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

DDOS protection

That's why I've seen many clients with high brow names and big traffic invest in their service.

#6 ve3oat

ve3oat

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

Thanks, Jack and BrowserBugs, I am beginning to feel more positive about the idea of using CloudFlare for my own website, despite their scripts and cookies.  Maybe my idealism is giving way to practicality.  ;-)  Thanks very much for your comments and I think I am starting to see the future in this after all.  Thanks too to rbrtsmith for helping to break the ice in my mind about CloudFlare. 

... Martin

#7 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Experience:Advanced

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:29 AM

That's why I've seen many clients with high brow names and big traffic invest in their service.

Yup, they're good at it too. Not many companies have the infrastructure and tools in place to handle DDOS and it's becoming a really common attack due to how easy it is.

The only thing to be cautious of is the caching service. If you're already running caching at the application level you can get some really weird behaviour. I tend to disable it.

#8 designgem

designgem

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:52 AM

I'm considering using CloudFlare but I'm concerned having seen they've been breached recently.

I've also had problems in the past with my CloudFlare account being hacked, but I could probably improve on my own security for that.

Anyone using CloudFlare and happy with it?

#9 Sixo

Sixo

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Area of Expertise:SEO

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

I'm considering using CloudFlare but I'm concerned having seen they've been breached recently.

I've also had problems in the past with my CloudFlare account being hacked, but I could probably improve on my own security for that.

Anyone using CloudFlare and happy with it?

Been very happy with it.  We primarily launch our sites on Wordpress and in conjunction with Amazon S3 and Cloudflare we've had a lot less problems.  In the past I was using MediaTemple to host and had endless hacks and malware running on sites.  I've been able to use the page rules in Cloudflare to help mitigate bots and other things from gaining access.

Since the shift to Cloudflare, S3 and Digital Ocean not only has our problems fixing malware gone down but the speeds on our website have increased tremendously.  I highly recommend it, I just use the free version for now but could see if sites grew large enough why one would invest in there services.

Edited by Sixo, 22 May 2017 - 06:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users