Photo

Negative votes (down-votes)?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Negative votes?

Would you like to have this option?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:25 PM

@Nillervision pointed out negative votes might be worth cosidering to prevent spam attracted by "low-quality" repetative questions.

What would you say - yes or no? Vote above :)

#2 James Winfield

James Winfield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

As long as people are jus down-voting spam, and not for other reasons - Stack Exchange for example is very daunting as a newbie with their downrating, etc.

#3 NullDrone

NullDrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:46 PM

That's a bad idea in my opinion, it will just create conflict amongst people. Facebook had the option to add a "dislike" button but chose not to add it to their website because it will just cause divide, you know what people are like these days, suspicious amongst each other, I can just see that someone will dislike what someone says and then there will be some heat. A bit like the blocking feature on facebook, they encourage people to block "trolls" but the reality is that it just divides, and makes people hate each other, ever since this whole blocking trend on facebook, people have become more divided, communities are to unite people, I don't see facebook really doing that, it really turns people against each other, for stupid reasons too. I would also fear that it would work against freedom of speech, people will start to shut their mouths about what they think, because they don't want to be disliked, then we have a community of conformists that will only say one thing and wouldn't dare say anything that was controversial, it's anti freethought. My facebook groups rarely block people, simply because I think it's always nicer to be able to say whatever you want without people telling you off or shutting you down.

Edited by NullDrone, 09 February 2016 - 03:48 PM.

#4 MikeH

MikeH

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Experience:Web Guru
  • Area of Expertise:Entrepreneur

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

IMO it's best to report spam posts and have moderators deal with them. Down voting will be used for other (more personal) reasons and creates negativity, resulting in members feeling excluded from the community. If somebody has said something you don't agree with, it's best to reply; this will help to create more discussion/debate and we can all learn.

#5 richardmountain

richardmountain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

Agree with all of the above posts, downvoting will cause more issues than it solves.

#6 fleur

fleur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

Totally agree with @NullDrone. It will be fighting because of rating, we will loose ability of interesting descussion  and forum will move down. It will only first step. I saw the topics on Stackoverflow meta where one "experienced" user with high raiting offered to block "less experienced programmers" and non-English speakers who makes mistake. But luckily, this idea was declined:)
Another reason. What question is "low-quality"? On Stackoverflow we see that moderators often close very interesting question with high raiting. And almost every day people ask on meta why this happened. I suspect that it will be something like that. This framework is bad. Wow! Plus! This framework is good! Oh! Minus!
Of cause, I understand that  experienced programmers doesn't interested in simple question (for them!) from new comers.  But forum already has close pages for users with high raiting. Maybe it's better to close the rest forum pages at all?:) To be serious, it will be better to close topic if nobody doesn't answered it within two weeks or month. It can prevent mess in forum.

#7 wesh.uk

wesh.uk

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Experience:Web Guru
  • Area of Expertise:Entrepreneur

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:40 PM

If its not good, then it belongs elsewhere... Will only be another reason for people to fall out, even though humans dont normally need a reason :-)

#8 Nillervision

Nillervision

All-rounder

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:57 PM

@Nillervision pointed out negative votes might be worth cosidering to prevent spam attracted by "low-quality" repetative questions.

What would you say - yes or no? Vote above :)

Though I'm the one who came up with the idea I'm not to keen on it myself. When I suggested possible down votes it was in a particular week, where the mods apparently had to ban a lot of spammers every day. And it was only ment as a tool to make their life easier (the mods', not the spammers'  )

If the problem with spam on the forum worsens, the decision should really be up to the moderators as they are the ones who have to "clean up" the forum all the time.

Edited by Nillervision, 10 February 2016 - 12:00 AM.

#9 eurus

eurus

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Area of Expertise:SEO

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

I support adding the down votes. We are not talking about raising dispute here, as this is the free era of discussion. What is the point of a discussion if we do not have different viewpoints? Forum is a more disputable environment than Facebook, so why not?

Just like Facebook, we have the angry expression which is similar to the down vote. But it is related to a new upgrade of all forums right now, so yeah... it is still a matter that needs to be discussed further.

Though I'm the one who came up with the idea I'm not to keen on it myself. When I suggested possible down votes it was in a particular week, where the mods apparently had to ban a lot of spammers every day. And it was only ment as a tool to make their life easier (the mods', not the spammers'  )

If the problem with spam on the forum worsens, the decision should really be up to the moderators as they are the ones who have to "clean up" the forum all the time.

I also agree with Nillervision's opinion about using down vote to help the moderators less work for banning the spam users. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users