richardmountain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

Any chance of a new class that we can give to users that revive really old posts?

"Necro Poster" could be the title :)

#2 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

Something for users attempting to bump post count without adding anything to the discussion too.  

#3 richardmountain

richardmountain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

Something for users attempting to bump post count without adding anything to the discussion too.  

I know I'm not the most active user but it does really annoy me, when I see a post I think "Oh I can contribute to that... oh it's about 2 years old never mind".

Those are the few seconds of my life I will never get back :(

#4 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:21 PM

You mean like this?

Haha, sorry, couldn't help it!

#5 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

You mean like this?

Haha, sorry, couldn't help it!

Or like this?

Recursion

#6 Nillervision

Nillervision

All-rounder

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

Guys. I think we owe to new users to have a little patience. Some might be eager to get to the point where they can post their own subjects and along the way drop some more or less relevant comments. But some might turn into valuable contributers in time. As long as no one violates the rules or are spamming, at least give them the benefit of doubt.

I like the open spirit of WDF and I think we should keep it that way instead of expecting new users to post super quality content from day one.

EDIT: Even the fact that we are debating this in the open would make me feel very insecure and unwelcome if I was a new user trying to access the forum.

Edited by Nillervision, 28 September 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#7 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:54 PM

Guys. I think we owe to new users to have a little patience. Some might be eager to get to the point where they can post their own subjects and along the way drop some more or less relevant comments. But some might turn into valuable contributers in time. As long as no one violates the rules or are spamming, at least give them the benefit of doubt.

I like the open spirit of WDF and I think we should keep it that way instead of expecting new users to post super quality content from day one.

Digging up old threads is something you see a lot from in spammers. There's no posting limit I'm aware of for starting a new topics, many just want the ability to post links, and will continue to pollute the latest threads section until they have that ability.

There's a common trend with these types of profiles. They will post the same nonsense over and over again, and in many cases completely contradict what they have said previously. It's not often you see anything else come out of these users, just one line posts, until they can submit something in the classifieds, or have a signature with a link.

The flip side. Many of these profiles make the forum look like a haven for spam, and may discourage genuine users. Especially when the last posts look like they have been going since 2012.

#8 Nillervision

Nillervision

All-rounder

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:22 PM

Digging up old threads is something you see a lot from in spammers. There's no posting limit I'm aware of for starting a new topics, many just want the ability to post links, and will continue to pollute the latest threads section until they have that ability.

There's a common trend with these types of profiles. They will post the same nonsense over and over again, and in many cases completely contradict what they have said previously. It's not often you see anything else come out of these users, just one line posts, until they can submit something in the classifieds, or have a signature with a link.

The flip side. Many of these profiles make the forum look like a haven for spam, and may discourage genuine users. Especially when the last posts look like they have been going since 2012.

True. But I still believe that is for you mods to decide and then take the appropriate actions. The rest of us can report users that we consider to be out of line or we can even politely comment to the users directly. We also have a closed section to debate WDF politics. To openly debate and ridicule new users is not very good signal to send either. And I know we are better than that :)

There might be some cultural differences. After all I'm not from the UK and might have a different view on things than the rest of you :)

#9 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

True. But I still believe that is for you mods to decide and then take the appropriate actions. The rest of us can report users that we consider to be out of line or we can even politely comment to the users directly. We also have a closed section to debate WDF politics. To openly debate and ridicule new users is not very good signal to send either. And I know we are better than that :)

There might be some cultural differences. After all I'm not from the UK and might have a different view on things than the rest of you :)

Mods normally warn any users that do this mass posting. 99% of the time they continue to do it regardless, so they get banned.

You have to consider the amount of work it can be managing this. We've had a huge flood of spammers over the last month or so, in most cases it's blatant spam. Everyone of us can be busy at times, sometimes you just have to take a call on it. Most forums like Stack Overflow simply wouldn't allow this full stop, so users do get some leverage.

I don't think it's anything to do with cultural differences. I completely get what you're saying, and agree. The different is, when you're running through moderating profiles, you see identical posts from different users time and time again. You start to pick up on patterns.

#10 Nillervision

Nillervision

All-rounder

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

We are all are very grateful for the big effort you mods do every day to keep the forum clean. And I would like to make clear that I have NO sympathy for spammers. My main concern is what I wrote in the edit in my first post:

EDIT: Even the fact that we are debating this in the open would make me feel very insecure and unwelcome if I was a new user trying to access the forum.

I'm just appealing to the established members here because I think when a group of veterans debate the behavior of the newbies it can easily be perceived as a hostile and unwelcoming environment for ALL newcomers. Even though it was not the intention :)

I've probably been guilty of this myself a few times, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded that as influential members we also have a bigger responsibility.

Edited by Nillervision, 28 September 2015 - 03:26 PM.

#11 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

We are all are very grateful for the big effort you mods do every day to keep the forum clean. And I would like to make clear that I have NO sympathy for spammers. My main concern is what I wrote in the edit in my first post:

Nock does a lot of the hard work for us.

#12 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:39 AM

Nock does a lot of the hard work for us.

Nock for Prime Minister :)

#13 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:42 AM

But then who's gonna be Chief Troll Hunter?

#14 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

But then who's gonna be Chief Troll Hunter?

Ooooh have I been promoted to 'Chief' now? I must update my title to reflect that!

#15 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:34 PM

You have to go an initiation ceremony to do that, currently it's something to do with pigs heads isn't it?

#16 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:38 PM

You have to go an initiation ceremony to do that, currently it's something to do with pigs heads isn't it?

Hahahahaha, maybe I'll just stick to being Chief Troll Hunter then in that case :)

#17 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:09 PM

https://youtu.be/uvwEyHeRSvE

#18 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:27 PM

Haha. That guy goes nowhere near the depths that I do to rid the world of trolls :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users