mantis

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:33 PM

As per our meeting last Thursday here is my idea for an app we can all work on. My original idea for a star reward chart (presumably for children and parents) isn't terribly exciting and could perhaps be better adapted to something we can all use. 

Star reward chart (for personal projects?) 

it should allow for multiple users.

it should save user data (I think we discussed localStorage?)

it should save a point value for each user

it should play a little tune with a small animation each time a user reaches a milestone

it should play a longer tune with a better animation when a user reaches a predefined goal

it should list all users and the number or stars they have received

it should show information the user wants to share

It should allow the user to determine what they want to share

to be continued...

I was thinking about it in the context of learning node or any other technology or language and though it might be good to have something like a list of goals and milestones to get to a finished goal or project.

For example, I have several side projects that I work on from time to time and I occasionally have periods of progress but the project goals are not really written down anywhere and I don't often make the time for them. Something that does help motivate me is public accountability. If I say I want to do something by a certain date or spend x amount of time per day on something I am more likely to do it if I've announced it. There are lots of apps that have todo lists and project planners but I find they do really cater to personal projects and most are quite complex. Incidentally there is an app called coach.me  that does something like this but its not adapted for side projects and mainly wants you to pay someone to coach you along.

At any rate this is the beginning of my idea. Perhaps we could all come up with one and then either elaborate on them or decide on one. @citypaul suggested using "it should" and "it shouldn't" to determine functionality.

#2 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:17 PM

Hey @mantis, thanks for your post. I'm currently on holiday in Wales without great internet access, so it will be a few days before I can respond properly.

I think it'd be good to look at breaking those "it shoulds" into features, and from there breaking down into more detail so we can look at the specifics (the idea behind the "it should" is that we can write automated tests to prove each requirement has been fulfilled, so we need to flesh out the details a bit later). The way I prefer to work is to focus on a feature at a time and go from there, so we may decide to work on the "user registration" feature for example as a starting point, or we could choose something different like the underlying logic for choosing and registering a score, something like that - we can break it down more later).

Do you think you could flesh out some rough mockups using this program: https://balsamiq.com/ 

It would serve as a nice talking point and enable us to start flushing out the design a bit more.

So far so good... I'm sure we'll have a fair discussion on here, throwing ideas around etc, with the aim of eventually agreeing the first feature. The first feature should be a list of pretty specific "it should" statements, so for example if we were talking user registration, it would be really specific, eg:

"It should allow a user to sign up via their email address"

"It should send a user an email once they sign up"

"It should expect a user to click a verification email, and confirm the registration when they click the confirmation link"

"It should automatically login the user when they click the confirmation"

"It should leave the user logged in for 10 days by default"

"It should ask for a user's first name, last name and date of birth, and record these details against the user"

"It should require all details on the form, otherwise the form should not post and appropriate error messages should be provided"

"It should not allow a user to login with an email address that has already been used for a user"

"It should erase a user's details if they do not click the verification email after 10 days"

"It should display the user's first name in the top right hand corner when they are logged in"

"It should display a logout link when a user is logged in"

"It should log a user out if they click logout"

That's an example of what a single feature, in this case, "User registration" might look like - obviously a bit rough around the edges, but you get the idea. We can focus on a single feature at a time when the time comes...

Let me know what you think, cheers!

#3 mantis

mantis

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

Hey there @citypaul Not so bad to have a break from internet access every now and then ;)

I actually stopped short of doing the mockups and continuing the feature list as I wasn't sure to what degree everyone had agreed on the idea and thought it might be a better use of time if we collectively agree on some things before going any further. Notably whether this is the kind of app we want to build. I'm not entirely opposed to a facebook belly app if that's the direction we want to go in. Perhaps we could do a poll or something to see if we agree on this idea to begin with?

Enjoy your hols! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users