teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

Here's the node thread, however I have an idea.

Seems like all of us are at different stages with node.js, some are beginners (me! :p), some have better understanding and possibly have built apps and what not.

What we could do is to start consecutive threads, starting from the beginning (installation, etc.) and gradually going into the deep end.

What are your thoughts?

#2 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:38 PM

Sounds like a great idea, and very timely for me also! I'm currently working on a node app at work, and while that makes it sound like I know quite a bit (because I'm just basically getting stuck in and building stuff with it), I've never actually gone through the experience of setting up a node environment from scratch. 

I can tell you the workflow we have in work is great, with all the automation and integration with things like browserify (allows you to port node style code from the server into the browser), but I've never actually set it up from scratch, so setting an environment like that up would be a nice learning curve, and I could show you how they're doing it over here if you'd be interested?

How would you want to do this? Is this something we could play about with in the chat room (might be a good way to get people to start using it if we have themed "sessions" - eg, today we're installing node and doing x y z with it together and so on...)

#3 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:21 PM

Great! Sure, that will be so useful.

Your workflow sounds great :) I will be interested to see how you do it (note to self: look into browserify:))

I have been installing node and setting up an environment on my computer and laptop, plus I registered with Digital ocean just so I can do it on different servers. Just so I get an idea of the basics and a grip of the command line.

Then I have been learning and setting a basic app to get an idea of the architecture - looks like MVC to me a bit (although MVC is not something I have a great experience with, either). I have been repeating this over and over lol so I get used to it.

Hmm, how would we do this? Themed sessions sounds great, what did we decide to use next time (last one was a bit chaotic). It will also be good to have different threads, so we (or others) can refer to them in the future?

Edited by teodora, 15 April 2015 - 08:27 PM.
typing too fast

#4 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

I'd be interested in using the chat room for something like this. I've posted on Slack if both of you want to share some ideas on getting people there.

Great! Sure, that will be so useful.

Your workflow sounds great :) I will be interested to see how you do it (note to self: look into browserify:))

I have been installing node and setting up an environment on my computer and laptop, plus I registered with Digital ocean just so I can do it on different servers. Just so I get an idea of the basics and a grip of the command line.

Then I have been learning and setting a basic app to get an idea of the architecture - looks like MVC to me a bit (although MVC is not something I have a great experience with, either). I have been repeating this over and over lol so I get used to it.

Hmm, how would we do this? Themed sessions sounds great, what did we decide to use next time (last one was a bit chaotic). It will also be good to have different threads, so we (or others) can refer to them in the future?

What do you think of Digital Ocean so far?

#5 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:14 PM

I'd be interested in using the chat room for something like this. I've posted on Slack if both of you want to share some ideas on getting people there.

What do you think of Digital Ocean so far?

Slack: Is that what we used last time - I think we should pick another app if we were to go through things in details, just so it's not so chaotic?

I think Digital Ocean are great so far - but I don't have anything up and running yet, so can't comment on performance, etc.

Without any hassle I registered, got a CentOS server, installed  node, ghost (not one click install) and then realised I need a domain for production :D so that's on my to do list.

#6 fleur

fleur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

I think this thread can be locked at the top of the forum.

There is can be several parts, for instance:

- starting from the beginning (installation, etc.),

- making apps etc

Every part of the thread can be illustrated  with playground (codepen etc), where everyone who want to join the lesson, can make Fork. And then we can compare different view. There is also can be lessons for students. Maybe all students can work on one app with via git.

Everyone can  see the locked thread. And read it in comfortable time.

Something like that)

#7 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:24 PM

OK, this one is pinned now - seeing that we may have multiple threads, maybe something like a sub forum. See what @Ben thinks :)

#8 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:59 PM

Slack: Is that what we used last time - I think we should pick another app if we were to go through things in details, just so it's not so chaotic?

I think Digital Ocean are great so far - but I don't have anything up and running yet, so can't comment on performance, etc.

Without any hassle I registered, got a CentOS server, installed  node, ghost (not one click install) and then realised I need a domain for production :D so that's on my to do list.

I used Hipchat last time, but Paul setup Slack right at the end, which is most likely what will be used instead. I'm not sure if he sent you an invite, it might be worth searching your inbox.

#9 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:25 AM

I think we should list good Node resources, and some good prerequisite material.  I posted in another thread that I began to learn Node about 6 months or so back, but I quickly realsied I'd be better going back to JS fundamentals and brushing up on callbacks, promises and closure as these were pretty essential and I only had a very basic understanding of how they work.

Now I have a firmer grasp I'll be looking to learn Node too so I think it would be good for all of us if we put up a list of (Good) Node tutorials and a list of prerequisites so folk don't try to run before they can walk.  I've recently signed upto this https://ericelliottj...me-access-pass/  but it will be some time before the material gets published so for now I have to stick to the Node tutorials on CodeSchool and Front end masters.  

I'd like to see a good tutorial on building out a Node app with Mongo db, and maybe also using web-sockets and HTML5 Localstorage for performance.  Anything that covers this will be great :)

Let's bear in mind that like all JavaScript resources there are bound to be many bad ones with misinformation, so we should be smart about what we throw up here :)

#10 fleur

fleur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:02 PM

http://code.tutsplus...20500?view=list

#11 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:29 PM

I used Hipchat last time, but Paul setup Slack right at the end, which is most likely what will be used instead. I'm not sure if he sent you an invite, it might be worth searching your inbox.

No, I don't have an invite! (sobbing)

#12 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

Shall we try to arrange a time to meet for a chat? It's probably the best way to get going. I think we just need to start small and work our way up - starting with something pretty basic and just incrementing on it rather than starting with a big plan...

How about we arrange a time to meet in a chat room next week? I'm normally available after 8pm (daughter is normally safely asleep by that point). I don't mind where we do it - the only reason I quite like slack is because it saves all previous history, so people who were not able to meet at a certain time would be able to scroll through the whole history of previous conversations.

Let me know what you think, and perhaps we can start by just doing a few hello world exercises together and perhaps look at setting up a nice local dev environment as a starting point? I'm open...

#13 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

Sounds great - I also like the idea of using Slack.

Sounds logical, start from the beginning, small tasks, so we make sure everyone (me:P!) grasps fully the concept.

I'll post in the Scheduling meetings thread and we can see who's up for it and take it from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users