Photo

September 2014 WOTM nominations! Vote for your favourite!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Poll: September 2014 WOTM nominations! Vote for your favourite! (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favourite site

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

Thanks to everyone for their submissions, here are the sites that made it to the competition:

1. unbottled  -  http://designr.co/slick/

2. pixelcoderhttp://www.pixelcoder.co.uk/

3. danners2003http://batemanroofing.co.uk/

Good luck :)

#2 Climber

Climber

Marketing Expert

• Privileged
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Entrepreneur

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

What exactly are we supposed to judge? From a marketing perspective, the roofing one is best. From a design perspective (which I suppose is a little irrelevant) I have no idea. 

#3 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

What exactly are we supposed to judge? From a marketing perspective, the roofing one is best. From a design perspective (which I suppose is a little irrelevant) I have no idea. 

Design, user experience, code quality, overall look and feel :)

#4 Climber

Climber

Marketing Expert

• Privileged
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Entrepreneur

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

Design, user experience, code quality, overall look and feel :)

Thanks. Not much point in me voting then. All I can tell you is if it will make money or not.  :)

#5 Nillervision

Nillervision

All-rounder

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

I gave my vote for number 3. The content is presented very well in a consistent layout. The whole structure of the site is working nice and it feels easy to navigate to the content you want.

The only thing that looks a bit weird is the dropdown in the main menu the black background, the transparency effect and the rounded corners differs too much from the rest of the design.

#6 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

Thanks. Not much point in me voting then. All I can tell you is if it will make money or not.  :)

Good point. We should think of a more complex voting system in the future, however for now it's just a good fun, nothing too serious :)

#7 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

Good point. We should think of a more complex voting system in the future, however for now it's just a good fun, nothing too serious :)

Yeah I like to scan the sites with a few tools to see if their structure is up to scratch, also how much is their work and how much was simply plugged in ;)

Edit: Else it's always be front end designers win vs a very talented 'system'

Edited by BrowserBugs, 26 September 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#8 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Web Guru

• Gold Membership
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

Against the current grain I have chosen designr but in all honesty, as a designer that is not surprising, I found the roofing one very suitable for the job it is suppose to do but it's lacking some creative thought, if a bit more time had been spent thinking about ways to make the site stand out rather than blend in, I would have gone for it

As for the last choice, picking a site that only gives me the message
"Access to Pixel Coder is currently restricted to those with devices which support a minimum width resolution of 1024."

Is a very good reason not to vote for it, it's even a good reason not to vote for it if I had a screen bigger than 1024, it's simply bad practice.

#9 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, the designr.co one put me off as I can't get the player to play (Chrome), the nav buttons are hard to spot and don't work either. Maybe a PSD entry would have been better if it's aesthetics only ;)

#10 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Web Guru

• Gold Membership
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

Yeah, the designr.co one put me off as I can't get the player to play (Chrome), the nav buttons are hard to spot and don't work either. Maybe a PSD entry would have been better if it's aesthetics only ;)

Of course you are completely right, I am on an iPad however at the mo, I guess next time I will use my Mac and delve into the code and use the site a bit more before voting, this occasion unfortunately has not got the very high standards usually set in the monthly comp.

#11 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, but we only accept live websites...

Although, we could have "design only" competition?

#12 danners2003

danners2003

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

Thank you very much :)

#13 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Web Guru

• Gold Membership
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:13 PM

Might not be such a bad idea, also a coding competition to create the best apps for websites or something, not everyone can design and not everyone can code, that would allow more people to participate.

#14 danners2003

danners2003

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

I gave my vote for number 3. The content is presented very well in a consistent layout. The whole structure of the site is working nice and it feels easy to navigate to the content you want.

The only thing that looks a bit weird is the dropdown in the main menu the black background, the transparency effect and the rounded corners differs too much from the rest of the design.

Cheers man

#15 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

Sorry was more of a sarcastic remark, long day ;)

#16 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

Might not be such a bad idea, also a coding competition to create the best apps for websites of something, not everyone can design and not everyone can code, that would allow more people to participate.

Good idea - noted :)

#17 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

Sorry was more of a sarcastic remark, long day ;)

I am pretty sure you hate towards Wordpress is talking here :p :D (joke)

#18 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:56 AM

I am pretty sure you hate towards Wordpress is talking here :p :D (joke)

No hatred for Wordpress at all, just in the wrong hands as with most things it can be a curse. As a Wordpress queen yourself I bet you have seen many a Wordpress site that make you ask yourself 'WTF were they thinking!' ;)

Edited by BrowserBugs, 27 September 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#19 pixelcoder

pixelcoder

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:59 AM

Is a very good reason not to vote for it, it's even a good reason not to vote for it if I had a screen bigger than 1024, it's simply bad practice.

More of a time / design constraint than anything. 

#20 Fuzzy Logic

Fuzzy Logic

Web Guru

• Gold Membership
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

More of a time / design constraint than anything.

The implementation of responsive development is something you include when you develop, not something you add later it would not actually add that much time onto it if done correctly, even viewing a screwed up website on mobile devices is better than that silly message.

#21 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts
  • Experience:Nothing
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

Might not be such a bad idea, also a coding competition to create the best apps for websites or something, not everyone can design and not everyone can code, that would allow more people to participate.

That's a good idea, as I just code up designs from our design team, but would like to participate in someway and as it stands any entries I'd make would be invalid.

#22 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

The implementation of responsive development is something you include when you develop, not something you add later it would not actually add that much time onto it if done correctly, even viewing a screwed up website on mobile devices is better than that silly message.

I agree with this too, responsive design doesn't really take much longer at all, if you want a really slick UI for the smallest screens then it requires some more thought but with a larger and ever increasing mobile audience it is becoming vital that you do this.

#23 Paul Murray

Paul Murray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

I'm actually going to vote for the roofing site. It's clean, responsive and although it's perhaps lacking anything new or exciting in terms of design and layout, it serves it's purpose.

The HTML 5 one is nice, but some of the light fonts towards the end of the page are a bit hard to make out. Also, it wasn't obvious that the 'Features' could be cycled through by clicking on the links. There's no indicator that they actually do anything.

I also quite like the Pixel Coder site, but…

Access to Pixel Coder is currently restricted to those with devices which support a minimum width resolution of 1024.

That's obviously not great from a usability perspective as you're preventing access for a good bulk of your audience. I know this competition is just for fun but I think such a huge negative point like that counters any positive points the site has. Sorry.

#24 pixelcoder

pixelcoder

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

My audience isn't anything less than 1024... With the exception of this competition.

#25 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

@pixelcoder - what's with the avatar?

@Everyone else: Seems like we best set up different competitions for design, PSD, front-end, apps, etc, etc.

I'll think about it and will start another thread, where you could make suggestions :)

#26 RobertS

RobertS

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Experience:Beginner

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

A little late into this conversation. Not to complicate this "competition" as it really is all in fun, but it might be a bit difficult to compare a hand-coded site to one built in a CMS to one built in another site builder. If we were allowed to submit an entry for a site that was not a live client site, I think that would be great as I have an entry I think you guys might like - I hope. : - )

I did not vote for site #1 because although it was creative and modern, it simply didn't work in my browser. IE - the video didn't load, the pics didn't load, scroll button didn't work, fuzzy fonts, etc. Maybe it's just me. IE11.

I did not vote for site #2 because although it was visually appealing to look at (I didn't take the time to catch the CTA), it wasn't centered in the browser - just struck me as off. Maybe it's just me.

And so I voted for site #3 because although it was not strictly adhering to the latest and greatest fads in design, the design was appropriate to the industry as appropriate to the market. The CTA was clear, and overall everything just made sense.

Just my 2 cents worth. : - )

Edited by RobertS, 27 September 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#27 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

There used to be design only competitions every now and then, years ago. Maybe we should look at getting them setup again, based around a theme (like redesigning this site, we all know it well enough).

Dev comps could also be a thing. We give participants an end goal (nothing complex). You would submit your entry and hopefully have the best written, thought-out, or creative code.

EDIT: Winners would get a Choc ice, sent by courier.

#28 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

I used to be a courier in my yooof, no chance a choc ice would make it, the driver would not be able to resist!

#29 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

There used to be design only competitions every now and then, years ago. Maybe we should look at getting them setup again, based around a theme (like redesigning this site, we all know it well enough).

Dev comps could also be a thing. We give participants an end goal (nothing complex). You would submit your entry and hopefully have the best written, thought-out, or creative code.

That seems the most sensible thing regarding development competition, I couldn't use my projects as all may code is minified so it's gonna be near to impossible to judge.  Also we'd need some highly experienced developers to actually assess the code, like JavaScript for example lots of people have different philosophies on what constitutes good or bad code, anybody who's ever read any of Crockford's JS books will know exactly what I'm talking about.  I.e. He says that the ++ operator should be avoided and he puts the invocation of an IIFE within the containing brackets instead of the outside.  Anyway whatever format is decided it sounds like fun!

#30 teodora

teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

That seems the most sensible thing regarding development competition, I couldn't use my projects as all may code is minified so it's gonna be near to impossible to judge.  Also we'd need some highly experienced developers to actually assess the code, like JavaScript for example lots of people have different philosophies on what constitutes good or bad code, anybody who's ever read any of Crockford's JS books will know exactly what I'm talking about.  I.e. He says that the ++ operator should be avoided and he puts the invocation of an IIFE within the containing brackets instead of the outside.  Anyway whatever format is decided it sounds like fun!

Good idea - certainly everyone has a different view on best practices and all. Maybe you want to post your ideas here http://www.webdesign...ns/#entry482267

#31 jakdothtml

jakdothtml

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

My audience isn't anything less than 1024... With the exception of this competition.

But what if I were to browse through WDF on my tablet and stumble across your website?  :unsure:

#32 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:33 PM

Voted for site #3. Design wise it's pretty basic, but get's prettier after a few beers. The right content is there, it's clean and serves it's purpose. There's still room for improvement though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users