teodora

Drama Queen

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

Very nice :) So for use in the content area then? I look forward to seeing the theme one day.

Yes, in the content area, however the grid classes can be used in the code - anywhere. It's a plugin, so the styles should be kept even if you change the theme.

Yes, one day.... eventually I'll get there.

#82 drt_t1gg3r

drt_t1gg3r

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

Now that this topic has reached the 3rd page will there be a re-edit of the primary post to reflect the current status of the project with updated conclusions, game plans, outlines or whatever? Or will this just be  a continuous sequential replies to the topic without any consolidation? 

EDIT:

is there a game design document of the game yet? if so can we see it?

Edited by drt_t1gg3r, 26 August 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#83 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Sometime this week maybe everyone?

#84 mantis

mantis

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

Not sure yet but I could probably spare an hour or so one evening this week.

I found this: http://www.brianbenn...n-high-quality/ which might offer some tips for recording. 

#85 drt_t1gg3r

drt_t1gg3r

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:46 AM

and if you don't have a mac (which the post that mantis shared belongs to) you can do similar with a PC ->  http://www.howtogeek...simultaneously/

generally it's routing the sound channels to a mixer app then dumping into audacity and exporting to an mp3 and attaching it to the screen cast

some channels will have to have dual routing (one to the main output channel and again to an auxiliary that goes to your headphones so you can hear what is going on)

Edited by drt_t1gg3r, 01 September 2014 - 03:49 AM.

#86 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Experience:Nothing

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

Hi Guys,

I'll try to get back onto this soon. I've been really busy again recently. I'm doing a presentation in work next week which I need to prepare for, so I'll have to get back to you about a date. 

#87 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

Hey Guys,

Sorry I've not responded to messages in here for a while. I've just been bogged down with a lot of stuff at work, and as I said previously, I'm doing a presentation next week that's quite important for me, so I really need to focus on that as well. 

I did say originally that this project may take a long time to work out, because we all have our own priorities and obviously nobody is getting paid for this, so it will be a longer term thing rather than a quick win. I'm also aware of the fact that I said I'd make some short Git videos and haven't yet. I'm still planning to do this, but I obviously need to priortise certain things first. I sent out an email to a bunch of people in work last week, and it really snowballed in a way I wasn't expecting. What I thought would be a presentation to 5 people or so has turned into something a bit bigger, and I really need to make sure it's quite well polished now.

In one sense though that's a good thing for everyone here, as it's a presentation on some of the details of test driven development, so it may come in handy when I go into it with you guys.

In terms of the spec as @drt_t1gg3r pointed out, we don't have one yet. What I was hoping to do is to have a conversation with @lyndsay about that at some point, and we'll start working out the details.

I'm quite a big believer in Agile development, which goes against the traditional "big design upfront" methodology that a lot of us are used to. Ideally I'd want to have a few conversations about what we should be aiming for, and then the general idea is that we focus on small incremental features, bit by bit, all the while using feedback from the stuff we've built to make sure we're on track - this way we can adapt the plan quickly at a moments notice. The idea is that you stay focused on what matters and what adds value, as opposed to creating a great big plan upfront that may not really represent what you or your users actually want or need. I'm a big believer in combining this agile methodology with test driven development, but it's really hard to explain this stuff in an abstract way, so it's best to get down to concrete examples I think.

I'd say let's all remember we're doing this for fun and we need to accept it's a long term thing. I wanted to be working on this a lot, but things do get in the way a bit. I would say though that once we're clear on the rules of TDD + Git + our Github workflow, in theory at least, other people should be able to chip in without much red tape in the way. 

My presentation is a week on Friday (sounds like a long way away, but it's 1 1/2 hours long and some of the big bosses in my organisation are going to be there, so I really need to get this right), and I've also got some general work I need to do in the meantime. On the flipside, my girlfriend and daughter are going away for two weeks to visit family (I couldn't get the time off) from this weekend, so I may have some more spare time coming up that I can use for this.

I'd like to have a go at creating the short (15 minutes or so) Git video first, and then perhaps we can start talking about the next group session? I'd like it to be on github/git workflow and code reviews if possible?

Let me know what you think. I can't give a solid date right now, but early next week I should be able to start committing to some dates.

@mantis sorry for missing out on the spare time you had (I know you said until the start of Sept worked well for you) - hoping you can come along to some future group chats?

By the way guys, a lot of the purpose of this is to produce a learning exercise for all of us, including myself, so even if we don't fully get there, hopefully the stuff we cover along the way will be useful to all of us. Learning a really nice git workflow is a really valuable thing for any developer or designer in my opinion, and the test driven development stuff is sensational in my opinion. It's been nothing short of a revelation for me since I've been working in my current job for the past year. I typically hint at the stuff I do for a living, although some people on here know already, but I'll say I work on the BBC Sport website, so that gives you an idea of the scope of the work I do. I really believe in the idea of sharing knowledge and constant personal improvement, which is why I'd like to do this project with you guys. I believe I'll learn lots of stuff along the way as well. It's all good fun.

Funnily enough, I spent today, and will spend tomorrow, on an "Advanced TDD" course in work - it's been really interesting so far, and again, it's stuff that I hope I can eventually feed back to you guys. If you're willing to accept this is a long haul project, I'm sure we can all have plenty of fun along the way.

Anyway, that's my essay for tonight :)

Edited by citypaul, 02 September 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#88 mantis

mantis

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:54 PM

No problem @citypaul.

Yes I'm thoroughly snowed under with work at he moment so just as well there hasn't been a lot done. Still prepared to help and I imagine eventually things will slow down. If someone could perhaps PM me when a date is in sight I would be very grateful. 

#89 vr3

vr3

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:04 AM

This ia great. I will be love to contribute.

#90 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

Hey guys,

Sorry for abandoning you all like I have :(

I've been so insanely busy over the last couple of months that I've barely had time to eat. I've been asked to lead some of the end to end testing stuff in work, and to give some internal presentations on code quality, so my schedule has just been mental. It's really a shame because I'd love to do this, but I'm just struggling so much to get any real time to sit down and go through it...

Perhaps we could talk about some of the things I wanted to do on this project (like the test driven development stuff perhaps?) and we could just scale it down to a few one off sessions on those techniques, at least for now? I dunno... I feel like some of the stuff we were planning to look at would be really cool to have a play around with, but it's so hard for me to get the time at the moment...

Sorry for going quiet for so long guys... :(

Edited by citypaul, 07 December 2014 - 02:44 PM.

#91 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hi Paul, don't worry... I've been pretty busy too (and still am if I'm honest).

Do you have much time off over Christmas? I was thinking of learning to code in SWIFT during my time 'off' work, but I'm sure I could squeeze a session or two on this in too.

#92 Lyndsey

Lyndsey

Web Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:40 AM

No worries at all, Paul. Work is more important and I guess everyone has their jobs to do :)

Do you have much time off over Christmas? I was thinking of learning to code in SWIFT during my time 'off' work, but I'm sure I could squeeze a session or two on this in too.

Sounds like fun!

#93 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

Same story here and I don't see things changing.  And now I've got my blog to write for, time is a precious commodity and I don't have a lot of it so I can totally understand why you struggle to find the time.

#94 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

Sounds like fun!

I hope so, 'mighty deals' were/are selling a course on udemy for $19 instead of $199 so I thought I'd give it a go :)

Edited by NOCK, 08 December 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#95 collenwesling

collenwesling

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:35 AM

I would be very glad to contribute to your project. :)

#96 thaonvp

thaonvp

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

I'm very busy with projects but I'll be happy to contribute in some way, I'm sure we could learn some new stuff together. Thank you

#97 drt_t1gg3r

drt_t1gg3r

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:02 AM

So can we hand this project up to the community or something? Let it be an open source idea and moderators can make the polls on the yay/nay of what is pushed and what is put aside for possible use? Or is it already and I'm being ignorant again? I haven't seen any action since paul and many of the main contributors went on break for work. Just a thought really. Not a request.

Edited by drt_t1gg3r, 09 August 2015 - 02:03 AM.

#98 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:31 AM

So can we hand this project up to the community or something? Let it be an open source idea and moderators can make the polls on the yay/nay of what is pushed and what is put aside for possible use? Or is it already and I'm being ignorant again? I haven't seen any action since paul and many of the main contributors went on break for work. Just a thought really. Not a request.

This project kinda died because everyone seems to be too busy for it.

#99 rbrtsmith

rbrtsmith

ReferenceError

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

This project kinda died because everyone seems to be too busy for it.

This ^^ I'm too busy to update my own blog properly never mind side projects.  Managing time is proving to be my biggest challenge, I can imagine it's the same for many folk on here..

#100 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

This ^^ I'm too busy to update my own blog properly never mind side projects.  Managing time is proving to be my biggest challenge, I can imagine it's the same for many folk on here..

Yeah, this is the problem. I'd love to do stuff like this and really wanted this to work out, but we're all so busy and finding times when everyone is available is too hard unfortunately. 

I'm still happy to do the occasional slack session though.

#101 drt_t1gg3r

drt_t1gg3r

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:09 PM

So after 3 pages, there has not been a single thing done? So after a year not one piece of code or file? I guess then this project should die. 

#102 NOCK

NOCK

Chief Troll Hunter

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:02 AM

So after 3 pages, there has not been a single thing done? So after a year not one piece of code or file? I guess then this project should die. 

I actually can't believe that this started over a year ago, it feels like only a few months back. Crazy!

#103 citypaul

citypaul

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:31 PM

The whole idea was to have some fun learning together, and the actual project itself was the vehicle we chose. The reality of so many different people with busy schedules trying to meet up regularly to get this done was such that it wasn't practical in the end.

We have done some sessions on slack in the past for little things like learning techniques in javascript and so on, and I think this is more realistic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: test, driven, development, sass, angular, angularjs, tdd, git, github

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users