Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hello!

My client wants to have some videos on certain pages, and to be honest it looks weird. We had to make the videos small and bad quality so they can be streamed easily, and also they're quicktime format (so not viewable for everyone I think?) and just HTML embedded. Very bad if you ask me.

I'd like to have them in the width of the body of the page, in very good quality.

Now I know nothing about flash. But when people talk about flash videos (*.flv), is that the same flash of which some animated flash sites are made? It seems like those sites are always quite light and load quickly. I thought she could send me the videos again in best possible quality and I'd convert them to flash.

Or is that a different flash?

#2 Jane B

Jane B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Experience:Beginner
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

My immediate thought would be to have them hosted by vimeo and embed a link to them. I could be way off with that suggestion though.

#3 Weedy101

Weedy101

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

Flash is a format that many consider to be on it's last legs, google themselves have released versions of the android os that had no way of accessing it stating that they 'was no longer going to support flash as HTML5 can do everything flash does and more'. It was only when this 'brilliant idea of theirs' affected the sales of their own devices that they changed tack stating 'Flash support will be phased out' and leaving things open ended. They then had to release an update for their android os to include flash support.

The use of a streaming host, avoiding the use of access limiting formats such as quicktime, and using the current HTML5 media handling elements (There are elements for most media types in HTML5, and HTML6 should be extending this further too) will give you direct access to HD full screen smooth videos that all visitors can enjoy.

#4 dap

dap

Web Guru

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

just to add to the above...

youtube is very popular and easy to embed on the site with a link to larger sizes shown through youtube. you can choose what size you wish to embed on your own site - if i can use my own site (sorry it's in Finnish ;) as an example http://gekkoweb.com/...audio-video.php - you can choose quality and full screen right there on the page or open it on youtube's site.

vimeo is more upmarket but i think you can only upload so many videos per month with the free version of the sercice - check vimeo's site for more details ;)

afaik youtube caters for flash and html 5 - all you need to do is upload your video through the customer's youtube account to their 'channel'

you could also use html5 and play straight from the page but you will need to encode in a couple of different formats and provide some sort of (flash?) fallback for those on old crapper browsers - and you also need to check your hosting is up to the amount of data transfer involved ;)

#5 Jack

Jack

NaN

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Sublime video is a really decent solution, you will need to host the videos yourself though.

Vimeo Pro is another option, we use that at work and it handles everything we need it to do. It can be pricey though, but it may be something you can offer to other clients to reduce the cost. Alternatively, you could use the free Vimeo option, but it will feature a Vimeo logo on the player.

Here's an example of a full screen video hosted on Vimeo Pro.

#6 Jane B

Jane B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Experience:Beginner

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

Here's an example of a full screen video hosted on Vimeo Pro.

Now I feel seasick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users