10 replies to this topic

#1 Davidx000000

Davidx000000

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hello I am designing a group of websites on behalf of my boss (a building contractor) which will all have the same theme / layout just different infomation on each relating to different aspects of building so one site for bathroom fitting one for kitchen fitting etc.... and have them all interlinked to each other under different domains and acting as individual sites.

Bearing in mind this is my first attempt at building a website and I only unerstand html and css could anyone perhaps offer any help in regards to a better design or offer any advice that may improve the website www.guildbathrooms.com.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

#2 throzen

throzen

For the record, I did this to myself.

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Experience:Advanced
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'm impressed - if this is your first attempt at a web project then you've taken a great stride in the right direction. You've used conventional elements (divs, spans etc), declared the doctype and complied with it, CSS looks good too, nothing to really 'criticise' as it were, so I'll move onto design. 

I would add a background to the bottom footer containing all the links (which, again, is a good addition) and there's a huge space at the bottom of the web page.

Under the 'Areas we cover' drop-down tab, do you plan to make those links to the individual areas? If not, it would be unusual to have this kind of information in a navigation drop-down tab.

On a personal note, I would add a 'margin-top' to the #wrap div, to separate it from the #holder1 block, since there's a gap between #pictureholder and the grey #textholder bar.

Anything else I would say would be focussed on the graphical side of things, but since you haven't claimed to be proficient in graphics design then it wouldn't be fair to critique it. That being said, it's a fantastic effort graphically speaking, on the whole it's generally a pleasing website to view. 

Keep it up. :)

#3 thirdphase

thirdphase

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Sorry I just accidentally posted in the wrong place.

I had a look at the bathroom site and think it's pretty good especially for a first effort.

I would change the font on 'suppliers and installers of quality bathrooms' to something lighter in weight and more simple.

Also the words beneath that strapline look like links... so perhaps make them links to relevant sections or don't have them...

I like the 3 columns with ticks summerizing the good parts of the business. It's clear and informative.

Edited by thirdphase, 12 July 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#4 inlinedivblock

inlinedivblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Developer

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

I'm impressed - if this is your first attempt at a web project then you've taken a great stride in the right direction. You've used conventional elements (divs, spans etc), declared the doctype and complied with it, CSS looks good too, nothing to really 'criticise' as it were, so I'll move onto design. 

I would add a background to the bottom footer containing all the links (which, again, is a good addition) and there's a huge space at the bottom of the web page.

Under the 'Areas we cover' drop-down tab, do you plan to make those links to the individual areas? If not, it would be unusual to have this kind of information in a navigation drop-down tab.

On a personal note, I would add a 'margin-top' to the #wrap div, to separate it from the #holder1 block, since there's a gap between #pictureholder and the grey #textholder bar.

Anything else I would say would be focussed on the graphical side of things, but since you haven't claimed to be proficient in graphics design then it wouldn't be fair to critique it. That being said, it's a fantastic effort graphically speaking, on the whole it's generally a pleasing website to view. 

Keep it up. :)

I agree, also i think your menus need to be smaller, when you view it on a smaller sized screen the drop down menus are hidden and therefore the bottom half of the menus will never be seen.

The header i would seperate all the elements, such as the phone number logo and slogans so they are not involved in one large header image, so that search engines can easily log the information and be able to change those elements much easier in the future,

The text i think needs to be a bit larger, play around with the font and sze of fonts. keep up the good work :)

#5 BrowserBugs

BrowserBugs

Unhinged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • Experience:Intermediate
  • Area of Expertise:I'm Learning

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Looking good for a first attempt. One point is did you test this on smaller res screens? I run a second 1024 x 768 screen and currently your css has the body set to "min-width:1100px" but since your content width is set to "width:1000px" you should not need to have a min width on the body; 100% or auto would suffice if even required. Currently there is a hoz scroll bar on a 1024 when there is no real need to have it.

Good work though :D

#6 Annika

Annika

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Web Designer

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

Code wise the others have covered things pretty well. I will go straight onto the design. Considering what modern design is like today, this looks pretty old. The gradient in the header would look better with shades of blue on both ends, instead of the white. Overall, the layout works, but the font is very small which makes it hard to read. Items such as Free Quote you have done right to have in a different colour as a call to action, but it needs to be even stronger. When it comes to the CSS, you haven't normalised the code in any way. I suggest using a CSS reset.

#7 D4Y0

D4Y0

Privileged

• Privileged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

where you have http://www.guildbathrooms.com/h1.png you could make this all out of css same with http://www.guildbath...roomfitting.png but other then that looks very good for a 1st attempt

#8 louise100

louise100

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

That's a good first attempt :-)

I would suggest making the logo clickable, linking back to the homepage. I think it's a natural place for people to click when they want to go home.

When you hover your mouse on navigation item "areas covered," there is a black border on the left and right of the screen. This is coming from your .navbar

Also, don't forget to add a favicon 

#9 robcruise

robcruise

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

I have visited your website and it was somewhat slow on loading. Hence, to make sure that the auidence who have a slow internet connection, enjoy using your site, make your website load faster.

#10 webbie1985

webbie1985

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Area of Expertise:Designer/Coder

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

I would probably change the white text that's in the header to black just to tie the colours in on the header, great first site well done

#11 JohnF

JohnF

Forum Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Hello I am designing a group of websites on behalf of my boss (a building contractor) which will all have the same theme / layout just different infomation on each relating to different aspects of building so one site for bathroom fitting one for kitchen fitting etc.... and have them all interlinked to each other under different domains and acting as individual sites.

Bearing in mind this is my first attempt at building a website and I only unerstand html and css could anyone perhaps offer any help in regards to a better design or offer any advice that may improve the website www.guildbathrooms.com.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

The photographs used in slider are excellent, but based on your business domain your menubar, header, footer, content might not be optimized according to SEO and the background is not so appealing. According to me you need to make few changes to  your website. If you make those changes, you will be able to attract more cilents towards you which will result in growth of your business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users